I had to throw this together in a hurry. There is a lot more information about the world I created for this roleplay. So this section will be continuously updated. Any ideas you have are also welcome, just be sure to run them by me either here or in PM.
Two people will travel about a rich world that combines science and sorcery to unravel a plot to cover the world in darkness.
In the world of Jigu, the continent of Asia the Allied coalition of Nishitami, Dong Guojia and Timog rebels has successfully ousted the dictatorship of the Timog government. In the aftermath, the nations of Nishitami and Dong Guojia work to restore their lost resources, meanwhile the nation of Timog, now headed by a Democratic president, is undergoing a culture renaissance to restore its previously lost traditions.
The year is 2101; an age where technology and mysticism seamlessly blend and the wilderness are rife with wildlife both natural and supernatural. In the peace, the world prepares for the coming Winter Solstice, which marks the resetting of the solar cycle and the new year. However, in the months prior, there have been a number of attacks on shrines and monasteries all over Asia. Monks, priests and sages of various spiritual authorities on Jigu and the spiritual realm have difficulty tracking this force as they disappear as soon as they appear, leaving the bodies of decapitated priestesses and nuns in their wake.
As the day of the winter solstice draws near, a sinister plot is gradually unraveling as a duo take up arms in an attempt to stop it...
As aforementioned, this roleplay takes place on the planet, Jigu, in an age where where advanced sci-fi technologies such as hover vehicles and gundams, blends with mysticism of magic and fantasy martial arts. While Jigu has many continents and nations, this roleplay will focus on Asia and it's major countries. These include:
To the eastern most of Asia. Dong Guojia is a land of grassy hilltops and many rivers which are the country's primary source of travel. This is a land of scholars, doctors, scientists and philosophers where intellect and education are highly valued. Those who are able to master several fields of study such as; art & music, science, mathimatical, literature, philosophy, medicine, martial arts and/or athletics and accomplish great achievements are awarded the title Duōcáiduōyì de rén (Renaissance Man). The youngest person to earn this title is Zhuge Àidéhuá, formerly a doctor, he was given command of the newly formed Zìwèiduì (Self-Defense Force) who played a pivotal role in the Tri-Nation Coalition. Best known for its advances in the medicine field by combining traditional medicine with modern technology; people from around the world come to Dong Guojia to study at one of its many medical schools.
This country is also known for its bending arts in the martial arts community which are applied as either a tool for trade or a combative art. Dong Guojia is governed by a republic headed by a senate made up of governors from each province.
To the westernmost of Asia is the kingdom of Nishitami. The landscape is mostly mountainous and filled with forests. Nishitami boasts one of the strongest armies in the world as Nishitami born males are drafted and trained from the tender age of five until the age of sixteen-to-seventeen. Nishitami values equality and justice very highly and in recent memory, has played in a pivotal role in the liberation of Hasari from the Tezzuran Dominion of the Drow as well as being part of the Tri-nation coalition that eventually ousted the Timog Dictatorship. Because men are usually in the army and government, most of Nishitami's remaining industries are dominated by women. Originally women were forbidden to learn martial arts until the On'na Senshi act was passed in 2083. As such many woman began learning martial arts from the military barracks, some of which going on to open their own dojo.
Nishitami is governed by a Patriarchy of the Bushi-Ō (Warrior King) and Joō (Queen). Despite their power and importance, the law treats these titles as merely a job than a title of political status; thus, the royal family are to be treated as normal citizens, just like everyone else. Unfortunately, the late Jakku-Bushi-Ō was killed in battle due to Sara-Hime's treachery. While his only son Edo-Bushi-Ōji has been named the new heir, he can not ascend the throne until he marries. Until then, Jiru-Joō is the sole ruler.
To the south is Timog which is made up of many islands. Originally the islands of Timog were rife with dense jungles and rain forests, but in the wake of the former Dictatorship, they were all destroyed to build sprawling cities and industrial plants. Since then traditional Timog tribal culture was harshly suppressed, including religion, mysticism, martial arts and more in favor of a capitalist and materialistic culture that favored wealth and status. The poor were all forced into crowded warrens where crime was extremely rampant and those who didn't join the many gangs and mafia families, worked themselves to death in industrial factories and sweatshops.
This was until a revolution was started by the Sektor Pitong family, in cooperation with Nishitami and Dong Guojia, fought to impeach the dictatorship and installed a democracy. From there, the nation began a renaissance period to begin restoring its tribal traditions. While the current president, 'Big Lappu' is credited as the founder of the rebellion, there are rumors that it was actually started by the reformed Gabbitalim (Nightblades), a secretive order of assassins, currently led by Mag-ipo Inosanto
It is important to understand the mystic mechanics of the world and how they are used. Mysticism exist in various forms and techniques in Jigu and this section will be divided between cultures. In Asia, mysticism is divided between Mental-based techniques and Spiritual-based techniques and actual magic is more commonly found in Tiāndào or Reido temples and solitary sages. Magic is more abundant in the continent of Galea.
- Dong Guojia: The cultivation and use of Qi is very common in Dong Guojia. Qi-Gong exercises are taught in every school and are very common in gyms and other fitness programs. As such, the common Dong Guojian has a strong Qi flow, even if they don't learn any Qishu, which is the technique of manipulating Qi. Qishu is also known as bending and are taught in either 'Tool Versions' in trade schools or as a martial art. Qishu include Xiāofáng jìshù (Firebending), Shuǐ jìshù (Water technique), Dìqiú jìshù (Earth Technique), Fáng léi jìshù (Lightning Technique) and Jīnghuá jìshù (Energy Technique).
-Mind based Shēngwù are more commonly taught in Chán monasteries or Chán-influenced martial art schools. The technique of Shēngwù include telekinesis by generating and manipulating Dark Energy and Telepathy.
- Nishitami: The use of Ki is much more common in Reido temples by Miko (Shrine Maiden) who utilize Kido (Ki-way). This involves the use of hand seals called 'Kuji-in' to mold and shape the user's Ki to produce a variety of effects, similar to that of Tiāndào sages and priests/priestesses who employ the use of paper charms. Kido also includes the use of ritual in order to create more powerful effects. Outside of Kido, Jīnghuá jìshù is popular in Dong Guojian-influenced dojo such as Ansatsuken and various forms of kempo. There are few schools that teach any other Qishu-known as 'Kijutsu' in Nishitami- the most notable of which is the Kusanagi dojo headed by Kusanagi Kyoko which include the use of Xiāofáng jìshù- known as 'Enjutsu' in Nishitami.
-Zen monastaries, such as the Shorin temple, teach the use of Chikarajutsu which focuses on developing 'Chikara' or 'The Force' in the body and channeling it to manipulate telekinetic fields-these also include pyrokinetic, cryokinetic as well as electrokinetic powers-and telepathic fields.
- Timog: Originally, Timog tribes used mind-based techniques to augment physical ability as well as some telekinetic techniques-such as stopping projectiles with one's mind-. However with the Dictatorship 'purging' mysticism from Timog culture. Afterwards only certain criminal orgnizations such as the Sektor Pitong family and the Gabbitalim were able to preserve martial and mystic knowledge.
-While tribal ritual and shamanic magic was also common until the rise of the dictatorship. Under the leadership of Pangulo (President) Lappu, ritualists and shamen who were originally in hiding have began to revive magic in Timog by opening schools or teaching out of newly built temples and shrines.
- Hasari: The Elves of Hasari have an inborn affinity for magic. As such every Elf is capable of at least one or two basic spells. Spell casting comes in a variety of schools including Elemental, Restorative, Alteration, Illusionary, Enchantment and Conjuration. There are also forms of spell casting- Elven wizard typically use staves and wands, sorcerors employ vocation and hand gestures while priests and priestesses use spell circles and a combination of either wands or vocation.
- Akujui: The Dwarves' resistance to magic is a double-edged sword. While resistant to magic, they are also incapable of using it. However, Dwarves can craft and operate Rune stones which can bestow a variety of magical effects similar to that of the Hasari Elves. This is usually employed in enchantment of objects, such as weapons, clothes and jewlery.
Beyond Humans, Dwarves and Elves, there are various creatures that live in Jigu. Some are native, others are actually immigrants from the spiritual realm. Unfortunately there are far too many to list here, so only a few that are commonly known or encountered will be shown here. This list will also be updated as new creatures are encountered
- Fox Spirits: Very common in Nishitami and Dong Guojia. Fox spirits, while somewhat mischievous, are either good or bad like humans, elves and dwarves. Their natural form is that of a fox and can only be identified if they have more than one tail or by those with a spiritual affinity. Fox Spirits tend to live alone or in small packs of immediate family in the wilderness. However there are those who live amongst humans taking either an anthromorphic form or humanoid form, keeping their ears and tail(s). Fox Spirits are capable of various magics, the most famous of which is transformation which involves placing a leaf on their head. The number of tails a Fox Spirit has indicates their magical power with nine being the maximum-These are known as Kyuubi in Nishitami.
- Mermaids: Mermaids have their own societies along the ocean floor all over Jigu. Those who live on land develop land legs and are pretty much identical to humans. However, exposure to salt will cause them to revert back to their half-fish form. In order to survive on land, Mermaids need to be exposed to water every several hours or risk drying out. Mermaids are generally friendly and sometimes considered shy or timid amongst landlubbers (as they call those that live on land). This is due to human practices of hunting and killing mermaids for their blood and flesh-which was a key ingredient to immortality elixirs. While this practice has been banned in nearly every country, some criminal organizations still hunt and kill mermaids for their blood, which is sold in the black market.
Name/Alias: Obviously your character's name or what they go by
Race: I plan to have this rp start in Asia, mainly Dong Guojia, but any of the aforementioned races is welcome
Gender: Are you male or female? Please note; considering the nature of this rp, this can effect how certain characters-namely enemies-will react to you.
Age: Obviously how old your character is
Appearance: What they look like. If you wish to use a pic, then put on in a spoiler and fill in whatever details you think a pic won't provide.
Occupation: What does your character do for a living?
Background: Some background details about your character. Just tell us about where you're from and a brief synopsis about your character's life before the events of this rp.
Weapons: What you're packing.
Equipment: Anything your character's carrying that isn't a weapon (i.e. camping supplies, potions, food, etc.)
Abilities/Spells: What sort of abilities or spells your character has. Now, I will allow things like archmages and master swordsmen, but your character must still be balanced. This means having sensible limits to their abilities and real weaknesses that can be exploited if discovered. There's a difference between a powerful and/or complex character and a broken Mary sue.