46th Infantry Regimental History
A Wehrmacht Motorized Infantry Organization
Disclaimer: This is a fictional history based on a real unit that served on the Eastern Front during WWII. This document is used in conjunction with The Australian's Ein Volk, Ein Reich...RP.
***Please refrain from posting in this thread.***
1. Regimental Creation (This Post)
2. Operation Fall Weiss (This Post)
3. Operation Fall Gelb
4. Operation Barbarossa
5. Siege of Leningrad/Demjansk Pocket (Op Barbarossa Post)
6. Stapf's Coup (Op Barbarossa Post)
7. Operation Sea Lion
8. Battle of Canterbury (Op Sea Lion post)
9. Siege of London
10. Battle of Leeds
The Neumünster Infantry Regiment was created on 1 October 1934 in order to expand the Reichswehr into the Wehrmacht in former Military District II. The regimental headquarters was formed in Neumünster, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. The first battalion also formed in Neumünster after transferring from Infantry Regiment 6. The second battalion was formed out of half of the Second Battalion of Infantry Regiment 6 in Eutin. The third Battalion of the regiment was formed from Infantry Regiment 6 also in Neumünster. The regiment was part of the Reichswehr Hamburg Office installation.
On 15 October 1935 the regiment was renamed Infantry Regiment 46. Initially the 46th Infantry was assigned to the 20th Infantry Division. On 1 October 1936, the regiment was assigned to the 30th Infantry Division which was created on this date in Lübeck. In October 1937, the second battalion of the regiment was renamed to the 46th Regiment. Simultaneously, the first battalion of Infantry Regiment 26 was formed Rendsburg. The 26th Infantry would serve as a sister regiment to the 46th in the 30th Infantry Division.
On 31 March 1937, Oberst Heinrich Strack Aufstellung was appointed commander of the 46th Infantry Regiment (Mot.).
The 30th Infantry Division (Motorized) mobilized on 26 August 1939 for the upcoming invasion of Poland. At that time, it consisted of the usual German infantry division elements: three infantry regiments of three battalions each, one three-battalion regiment of light artillery, one battalion of heavy artillery (from a separate artillery regiment, but attached to the particular division), a Panzerjager (anti-tank) Battalion, a reconnaissance (Aufklärungs) Battalion, a Signals Battalion, a Pioneer (Engineer) Battalion, and divisional supply, medical, and administrative units.
30th Infantry Division Organization
6th Infantry Regiment (Mot.)
26th Infantry Regiment (Mot.)
46th Infantry Regiment (Mot.)
three battalions with:three light MG companiesone heavy MG companyone PAK company (mot.)one artillery companyone reconnaissance unit30th Panzer battalion with
four companies each with PzKw IV tanks (Oct, 1941)530th Heavy Panzer battalion with
four companies each with PzKw VI tanks (Feb, 1942 on)30th Panzerjager battalion with:
three companies (each with twelve 37 mm guns)30th Artillery Regiment (Light)
three battalions1 battery, 66th Artillery Regiment (Heavy)three batteries
30th pioneer battalion
130th Signals Company
530th field replacement battalion
Supply, medical, veterinary, mail, and police
Operation Fall Weiss
On1 September 1939, the 46th Infantry Regiment and the 30th Infantry Division (mot.) was assigned to General Wilhelm Ulex' X Corps under Colonel General Johannes Blaskowitz' 8th Army in Colonel General Gerd von Rundstedt's Army Group South. The Division began near the Polish border east of Trebnitz. The Division held the left flank of the Polish Poznan Army Front while the rest of X Corps and 8th Army pushed on toward Kalisz and Ozorkow. The X Corps began crossing the Warta River on the morning of day three. The 46th Infantry saw heavy fighting against Polish Infantry units near Jarocin for the first week. After the first week, the Polish units in the west knew they were slowly being surrounded. A mass exodus of Polish Infantry began fleeing toward Warsaw after the 7th of September. The 8th Army, including the 30th Infantry Division (mot.) was pushed east toward Warsaw and fought the Poznan Army west of Warsaw for the next ten days. It was bitter fighting and the Poles had the upper hand initially. The 30th Division was ambushed from the north at Ozorkow. The 46th Infantry Regiment saw extensive fighting over the next ten days near Ozorkow along the Bzura River.
After the Soviets invaded from the East with an 800,000 man army on the 17th of September, the Polish situation became hopeless. After the 19th of September, the situation around Ozorkow became quiet and on the 6th of October, the Polish government capitulated to the Germans and the Soviets.
On 1 October 1939, Oberst Ernst Sieler took command of the regiment and served until 1942
On 28 September 1939, the division was assigned to the 5th Army in Army Group C in East Prussia. They rested and refit until the 8th of October.
On 8 October, the division was reassigned to the XII Corps of the 4th Army in Army Group B and posted to Niederrhein along the Dutch border north of Dusseldorf.
On 23 October the division was assigned to the XXVII Corps of the 4th army remaining in Niederrhein, Germany.
On 26 October 1939, the division was assigned to the XXVI Corps of the 6th Army remaining in Niederrhein, Germany.
On 5 November 1939, the division was assigned to the XXII Corps of the 6th Army remaining in Niederrhein, Germany.
History of the 46th Infantry Regiment; Lexicon-der-Wehrmacht
History of the 30th Infantry Division; Lexicon-der-Wehrmacht
German Order of Battle for Fall Weiss
Invasion of Poland