Prohibition Era New York Skyline
Prohibition era New York (1920) with vampires
- Vampires are public knowledge
- In America, away from their family seats and fortunes, vampires have to adapt to stay on top
- Prohibition on alcohol means a crackdown on vampires that drink human blood
- Because of this many vampire families have become entwined with New York's gangs and criminals
- I expect this to be largely character driven so I want you to make a character that will keep you engaged
- Making connections between characters is encouraged; chances are the action will be focused around two or three major families
- There will also be an overarching plotline, but don’t let it stop you doing your own thing within reason
- Hoping to get an active OOC as well, and I'll be available via PM or Skype if you want to do some plotting
- Some other supernatural creatures might exist if a good enough case is made and they fit the feel, get in touch first though if you want to make one
Vampires haven't been in America long, the earliest came for the attraction of easy blood offered in slave ownership though there are those claiming to have stalked the natives across the Bering Strait, most arrived at the turn of the century as imperialism began to die and war, revolution and globalisation challenged their traditional place amongst the aristocracy. And why shouldn't they move to the new world, afterall the Statue of Liberty has an invitation on it. Two decades later (1920) and religious fervor has gripped much of the country, outlawing drink and heavily enforcing the regulations on vampires. Criminality and poverty are now facts of life and vampires are using it to recreate the fortunes and authority they left behind in Europe. Will the government be forced to take drastic measures to deal with the problem?
1. Be respectful to all the others players OOC. On the otherhand a bit of antagonism IC is encouraged.
2. Try to post regularly, twice a week minimum is my current estimate.
3. Tell me if you're unable to post.
4. All posts should be readable and meet the casual posting standards.
5. Don't make your character OP.
6. No graphics, quotes, etc in the IC without prior approval.
7. God Modding is out of course. Controlling NPCs to a degree is fine within reason but not PCs.
8. Dominating the IC thread by double posting or too much back and forth is out. Either take it collab or let someone post inbetween for back and forth.
9. What I say goes. I can't think of every hypothetical so this is the emergency rule.
10. Have fun!Vampires
- There are two sorts of vampires, pure blooded and weaker blooded. (Neither sparkle.)
- A pure blooded vampire has all the typical traits; they appear human but their natural lifespans can exceed eight hundred years, stronger and faster than humans they survive by drinking blood (which doesn’t have to be human.) There weaknesses are a dislike of sunlight and needing an invitation to enter a dwelling.
- Pure blooded vampires live for such a long time that it’s rare for them to place much value on human life, but that doesn’t mean they will risk the full force of the law. Vampire marriages are usually political calculations, they’re complicated and dangerous for both parties so pure blooded vampire heirs are rare. As if to make up most vampires will fill their houses with weaker blooded offspring that they manipulate by offering them claims to their fortune.
- Weaker blooded vampires vary greatly, sometimes the mix of blood makes them deformed or unstable and other times they’re fine, nobody can say why. It is unheard of for them to live for more than two hundred years and they may exhibit diminished versions of their parent’s strength and speed. Sunlight does not bother all of them either and whether they need or just want to drink blood is variable though almost all are capable of it. None physically need an invite but some seem more comfortable with one.
- Unlike Vampirism, Lycanthropy is a disease rather than it's own species though it's mechanisms remain a mystery. Werewolves are stronger and more durable normally due to the demands of the transformation but unlike vampires this is within human range and they live only as long as humans, sometimes less. Werewolves transform into a bipedal, ravening beast on the night of the full moon and lose all control, like this even vampires are forced to run from them. Werewolves are quite rare and many develop coping strategies, locking themselves away or drugging themselves up on nights of the full moon. However with the economic turn and prohibition attacks are becoming more and more frequent.
The Blood Laws
- Drinking human blood has technically been illegal since vampires arrived in America, however it has traditionally been added to other charges such as assault. Slave owning vampires for example where often overlooked in their activities and it’s not uncommon for them to use their natural charms if they have a thirst. Most vampires have sufficient finances to keep livestock too though many abhor the taste. Hoovervilles now often entirely new hunting grounds.
- The temperance movement behind prohibition on alcohol is pushing the government to enforce the blood laws as well. The fact that vampires are being criminalised for their nature is probably the reason they would plead for becoming involved with organised crime. Their lack of regard for human life, their natural advantages and the ready supply of family members eager to prove themselves may have more to do with it. I guess we’ll find out.Name:
Age: Pure vampires live to 800+ with the upper limit unknown. Weker blooded up to 200. Humans you know. If they're going to be ancient their personality and history should reflect it.
Appearance: Description or picture
History: You may tie these last two together if you feel the need.