【More Than Just A Pretty Face...】
“I didn't choose this...But I will do what I must. This is bigger than me.”
Kya Tukka Ukata
☞Nation and Home
Water Tribe; Northern Water City
【Be On The Lookout For...】
“Beauty is what's inside.”
Like most people of the Water Tribes, she has blue eyes. Her eyes, however, are more of a cyan
shade. Her eyes have a soft kindness to them, though sometimes it’s mistaken for sadness. When she has an idea, her eyes seem to brighten and become sharper as the wheels in her head start churning. In anger, her almond shaped eyes will narrow and an eerily coldness will grace them. Despite her shyness and general kindness, the cold in her eyes looks unnaturally…natural. It's hard to tell that she's blind.
Kya has a mane of pure ebony that cascades in waves down her back, pooling well past her feet. She refuses to cut it and takes care of it meticulously each and every day, dedicating at least thirty minutes to brushing, combing, and styling it. She usually wears a tiara made by and given to her by her father on her sixteenth birthday. Her hair is usually kept with a neat bun on top containing the majority of the length of her hair while the rest cascades down to end just above her waist. If she finds herself preparing for battle or at least expecting an attack, she will take the time to braid her hair into one long, thick braid. This keeps it out of her way and can be used as a weapon.
Kya's body isn't the most hedonistic. She has a decent bust, though she usually has it wrapped so that she appears cost-chested at times, much to her mother's disapproval. Her hips are wide, often being called 'good child-bearing hips' by her mother. You can see in her arms, legs, and stomach that she works out daily by the light muscle tone that becomes more visible when she's in action.
Her entire right hand from fingers to about three inches above the heel of her hand is tattooed blue with a mural of water symbols and ancient Water Tribe scripts. She bears many scars on her legs and arms with a single one going down her left eye.
【Behind The Mechanics】
“The mind is a dangerous thing.”
– To Kya, water is the source of life in all living things. Besides oxygen, of course. She admires it’s ability to heal as well as it’s ability to be destructive.
– Kya has always been rather quiet and meditation has become something of a daily ritual. Her meditation time is the time when she can drift off and center herself, strengthening herself spiritually. She can often be found meditating with Tui and La in the Spirit Oasis.
– Kya is adept at taming animals, almost as though making a connection with them. She adores animals of all kinds and can often be found talking to them as though they were humans.
Singing and Dancing
- Kya is an exceptional singer and dancer and is not afraid to let it be known. When she is singing and/or dancing, there is a great show of confidence, passion, and joy visible upon her face. Though -She's never been one adept with musical instruments.
- Being in the water and swimming about brings a certain peace to her that she fears that she doesn't get as often as she likes. When she's swimming, she lets go of all of her troubles so that she can marvel at the wonder that is water and sea life.
- Kya's sense of hearing has grown far above average due to lack of sight. Whether its the sound of water lapping against the ice or people bickering, it soothes her.
The Spirit World
- It's an adventure and learning experience each time she visits. She loves being able to see while in the Spirit World, fascinated by all the different colors, faces, and creatures.
- Kya used to be picked on when she was a child for being so silent and reserved. It's not something that she liked or ever wished to experience again. Being a kind person, Kya has a nurturing nature and hates to see innocent people in any sort of pain caused by others who are doing it for any unjust reason.
- Kya grew up in the North Pole where using Waterbending for anything but healing was illegal for women to do. She disliked the gender roles that were placed, knowing that many of the women could be better warriors than the men. She has also been ridiculed for her sexual orientation. It bothers her to no end when people cannot think with open minds on little to no subjects. She's always open to something new unless it's harmful to herself or others. She only wishes everyone could be open minded.
- Kya hates being forced into one place by being pinned or tied up. Not from any childhood trauma. She just finds it uncomfortable. Not to be confused with claustrophobia.
Fire Nation Soldiers
- Kya would like to believe that many of them do what they do because they are keeping their family safe by it, but she thinks they are weak cowards with evil and corrupt hearts. She is merciless and ruthless in battle against them.
- She can stand the occasional stupid question, but when a constant stream of completely stupid questions will get someone decked in the face.
- She's blind, not paralyzed. She hates when people go easy on her or try too much to aid her in daily chores. She feels as though people see it as a weakness.
- Kya has a habit of singing. All the time. Kya has a wonderful voice and secretly enjoys singing just to hear herself sing. She often hums or just outright sings in battle as well, using a rhythm to dictate her movements.
- Kya enjoys dancing. For her, she dances because she's great at it and it trains her mind and body. If one watches her in battle and pays attention, they'll see that many of her moves of evasion and advancement are slurred together with dancing.
Obsessive hygiene and grooming
- She's not scared to get dirt under her nails, sweat on her brow, and blood on her face. But she hates having dirty hair when it should be clean. If she's in the heat of battle, being dirty is fine. If she's just traveling, she will slowly develop a twitch until she's had a bath. When she grooms herself, she spends at least twenty minutes grooming her hair; Though that's mostly due to thickness and length.
- She needs to always have candy in her mouth. Even when she's sleeping.
- She's never really had a social life because all she ever did was train. All of the females were engaged by 16 and married by 18. She never got so much as a flirty glance.She doesn't want to die an old maid.
Losing her mother
- After her father died, her mother was her only source of affection. Her mother recently fell ill with an unknown disease that not even the best healers can remove. Kya doesn't want to be away from her.
- She's the Avatar. Its her job and she doesn't want to let anyone down. She hates that people are living in fear of waking up to their homes burning down and she will not stand for it.
- She doesn't want to end up dying an old maid. It has long since been a goal, albeit a side goal, of hers to finally get married.
Healing her mother
- Lately, she's been working harder on her healing so that she can become the best. She wants to see if she can learn a technique that will heal her mother's incredibly blocked chi.
- She practices on animals and rogue bandits, never once having revealed it to any other living soul besides the woman who taught her.
- She's not really sure how people would take it, so she practices in secret. She's not exceptionally strong at it, but she's pretty damn decent. She would be better if Jokka ever gave her a break from Waterbending training that she no longer needs.
- Its not a secret to those of her tribe, but to outsiders, the choker she wears gives the impression that she is engaged. Kya has never been proposed to and is the oldest single female in Water Nation history.
- Kya does not get cold. She feels cold like everyone else, but it bothers her about as much as a warm summer's day. It is because of this that she doesn't always wear a coat, long pants, or even shoes.
- It has strengthened her by increasing her other senses, but it still hinders her. If an enemy is silent enough, she won't be able to pinpoint where they are and will not be able to fully counter them.
- She's not a strong Firebender. At all. She has tried to learn, but it seems to be fueled by anger that she just can't seem to harness and again, Jokka never really gives her time for anything outside of Waterbending training.
Selective Social Mutism
- Since she was never really allowed a social life and Jokka preferred that she watched and listened rather than ask questions, she never really talked a lot. You'd be lucky to get ten whole words out of her in two days in casual conversation. Some say that she has forgotten how to speak to people. She will often seem to ignore others and simply sing.
Reserved l Kind/Nurturing l Loyal l Passionate l Tranquil
Upon initial meeting, Kya is easily pegged as being shy. She doesn't talk to strangers very much unless it's for something that she needs. But, she's not really that shy - She just observes for learning. Even though she's usually kept to herself, she has a smile on her face if not a simple look of being dazed in her daydreams or meditations. Always the kind soul, Kya would never hesitate to lend a helping hand whether it's healing an injury or cooking a meal - She is glad to accommodate those who need her services. When you've earned her trust, she's die-hard loyal.
She's that friend that won't leave your side even when you're not in your right mind, she'll always be ready to lay her life down on the line to insure your safety. Though she doesn't quite speak a lot, she can offer wise words of advice when they are called for and is often overly passionate when speaking on something that she cares deeply about. Along with her reserved nature, she is very tranquil. She is never the one to lose her head even in the face of death. She thinks through things clearly and logically and assesses the situation before acting.
There is more to her than that, though. It isn't very often that someone sees it, but she has a cold and uncaring side of her when faced with injustice. She has seen the injustices of the Fire Nation and harbors a special hatred and fire in her soul meant just for them. She battles them ruthlessly and in a cold manner. When the blood of killers stain her own hands, she feels no regret or sorrow for their passing, but a sort of peace, having removed just one more threat from an innocent's life. This is a side of her that she manages to keep under control and slips out every once in a while.
【Armed And Dangerous...】
☞Skills and Strengths
- Kya has been training in Waterbending since she was six years old and became an official recognized Waterbender Master at the age of eighteen. She has mastered Icebending and Healing as well, giving her an advantage of being both a healer and a 'warrior'.
- From years of practice in dancing and Waterbending, Kya has superb agility, dexterity, and flexibility. This gives her the ability to quickly dodge attacks and enhances her acrobatic prowess. She is able to move as silently as she does quickly -Something that she had to learn from hunting with her father.
Mentality and Spirituality
- Being of just morals and very in touch with her spiritual self, she has a strong will and is not easily fooled by anyone. This also allows her to keep a level head under stress, easily thinking clearly and logically when time is not on her side. She has also been training herself to psychically Waterbend; Something that she's still perfecting. She also is able to enter and exit the Spirit World without much difficulty after much training with Tui and La.
- From her many years of being reserved and watching people from a distance, she has learned to read their intentions and feelings. She's extremely adept at reading body language as well as responding to it. From this, she has also learned to tell when people are lying.
- From watching people, she has learned to take on different personalities for different reasons - Such as getting something that she needs. She is really good at making herself seem to be something that she's not from pretending to be overjoyed to feigning injury. When she is in 'her zone', it's nigh impossible to tell whether it's an illusion or not and she doesn't give up her façade until her mission is complete.
- Kya is an expert swimmer and loves to do it. Even though she has no need for it, she can hold her breath for an extremely long time. She also learned from the best warriors that the Northern Water Tribe has to offer as far as hunting, fishing, and tracking.
- The art of Healing with Waterbending focuses on unblocking and redirecting the flow of one's chi. Chi-Blocking is too easy, as it is simply stopping the flow of chi temporarily. She learned it from Jokka's wife, though she won't tell anyone as it is forbidden for Nuk to have even learned it herself, much less pass it on. Kya isn't a full expert, but she is learning.
- Jakk-Jakk, the Polar Bear Leopard - Complete with a saddle and saddle bag!
- Coin pouch with Water Tribe coppers and silvers
- Three vials of water from the Spirit Oasis
- Her mother's brush
- Tiara from her father
Water Earth Fire Air
Friends and Interests
- Unless the person she is trying to communicate with is someone she's known the majority of her life, family, an enemy, an elder, or a child -She has an awful habit of developing a short-lived stutter and blushing deeply.
Her right arm
- Due to an accident when she was younger, her right arm is sensitive at the center of her bicep. If it's hit, pressed, or fallen upon hard enough, her entire right arm will go limp until she has a few minutes to heal it.
- Kya cares deeply for those she dares to call friends as well as innocent people. It is her one emotional weakness. She will stop at absolutely nothing to save a life and strike down those that have dared to harm an innocent life, despite the Waterbending teachings that Waterbending should never be used for aggression.
- Kya can use her hair as a whip and use her Waterbending and fighting style to create weapons and use them, but she is incapable of using the same weapon throughout an entire battle. She has no formal training in swordsmanship, archery, or boomerangmanship. She relies solely on bending and chi-blocking.
- While the other girls were learning to stew sea prunes, Kya was learning to cut people with water still in liquid form.
【A Glimpse Into The Past...】
“Do not let the bad in your past ruin your present, lest it destroy your future.”
Kya was born to Hagoda and Katta Ukata in the North Pole. Her father was a Royal Guard and her mother was a Royal Healer which lead to Kya being allowed to live within the servants quarters. As a child, the young princesses were her playmates. She used to be quite chatty and excitable. At the age of three, her excitable nature lead to her running into a sack of pepper that burst open and covered her. When she sneezed, she blew seven people into a wall with a massive air gust. It was that day that it was discovered that the Airbending Avatar had passed at such a young and tender age and their beloved little Kya was the next in line. From that day forth, the local Master Waterbender passed Head Guard onto Hagoda and began devoting every waking moment of his life to training the young Avatar to being a Waterbending Master. Kya trained in offensive techniques, defensive, and healing every day until she could barely move. She only had one day off per week, during which her mother would heal her leftover sores until her body became more durable and she didn't need it. Kya developed her own resourceful technique of fighting using her hair as a weapon by the time she was thirteen and began training in Chi-Blocking in secret with Jokka's wife.
She knew from a young age that she would have to leave one day and learn the other three elements before leaving. She embraced her destiny with gusto and did all that she could until she was declared a Master Waterbender at fourteen. It was around that time that rogue Fire Nation soldiers came in ships causing her devote her time to training the new warriors and helping defend - WIP