Britain, the 1300's. With the decline of Magecraft and the loss of True Magic as the world moves further and further away from the Age of the Gods, a group of Magi pool their talents and resources together to seek the salvation of their traditions. In their desperation, they look backwards through the history of magecraft, and discover their solution._____________________
The successful execution of the Holy Grail War; a conflict that would give incarnation to fourteen heroes or villains of humanity, and set them against one another with the completion of the Holy Grail, and the opportunity for a wish capable of altering reality itself to be granted.
Over the course of hundreds of years, and the loss of many of their members to the Mages Association, the Holy Grail was completed in the 1600's and hidden beneath London; beneath the noses of the Clock Tower. Those who remained of the group fled with their lives and the enforcers of the Association in pursuit; and as they went, they spread the word about the Holy Grail War to come. Information, both true and false, was dispersed all over the world in an attempt to bring notice to the work of the group.
And over the course of four centuries, the stories of the Holy Grail War became famous in the world of mages. Even as the advance of time convinced many that the Holy Grail didn't exist and that the group who created it were liars and frauds who wallowed in self-delusion, the stories never faded completely into obscurity.
December, 2012. The Grail activates and distributes the first wave of Command Seals across the world. The stories now proven true, and the Holy Grail War forthcoming, the world of mages is thrown into a frenzy; until the Association, now working from the body of the Clock Tower in the British Museum steps in.
With the remaining members of the group that created the Grail in hiding, they commandeer the preparation for the ritual themselves; the chosen mages, soon to be Masters, are provided with relics that will allow them to chose the Heroic Spirit that they call forth. With there being two of each class of Servant to be summoned, the Clock Tower divides the Masters and Servants into two teams, Black and Gold; each possessing one Servant from each of the seven Classes.
Assassin, the Servant of Shadows
Archer, the Servant of the Bow
Berserker, the Servant of Madness
Caster, the Servant of Magecraft
Lancer, the Servant of the Spear
Rider, the Servant of the Mount
Saber, the Servant of the Sword
Eight months later, on the stroke of midnight in London, in August of 2013, all fourteen of the Masters to be have been supplied with Command Seals, and all fourteen Servants have been summoned to this world. Those who remain of the original group return to London in secrecy, to observe the completion of the project they began hundreds of years prior.
Only one wish may be granted by the Grail.
Only one miracle may occur.
Only one will end this war with the power to change the world.
... Okay, now that that's out of the way, time to skip past the story-related bullshit and get down to business~
That great big slab of text above aside, this is yet another Fate RP; and like many others you may or may not have already taken part in, there are a few changes, both minor and major, to how things work. To make things simple, here's a nice little list;
- - This RP takes place in an alternate universe from the story of Fate/stay night and Fate/zero; the Fuyuki Grail Wars aren't a thing in this universe, but other than that, and the effects that it would have on the timeline leading up to the modern day, this is still the Nasuverse, and the rules of the Nasuverse (as infuriating as they can be sometimes) are still in effect.
- - I'd appreciate it if everyone who joins this RP to have played the visual novel of Fate/stay night, and to have read/watched Fate/zero, too; whilst I don't want this to be a total grimdark fest, this will probably be closer to the Heaven's Feel route of the visual novel or Fate/zero in tone than the Fate route or Unlimited Blade Works. In short, pretty serious, even with the quirky elements of the franchise still intact. I'll go into more detail in this further down. This factors into the above rule; a decent knowledge of how things work would be greatly appreciated, for simplicity's sake, and to prevent arguments.
- - As with Fate/apocrypha, there are fourteen Servants; two of each class, and one of each class to a team. Unlike Fate/apocrypha, however, the Team designation is more than just an arbitrary one; Servants summoned to either team will be aware of their designation, and will be prevented from harming each-other through a command imposed by the Grail. This will likely only last until one of the teams has been completely eliminated; at which point the command will be lifted and the remainder of the victorious team will be free to fight and kill one-another for the sake of completing the Holy Grail and granting their Wish.
- - I'll largely decide placements on either team by requests and agreements; I'll try my damndest to make things both balanced and fair to individual players, and to avoid railroading unless it's completely necessary, and feel free to debate placements with me and whoever else needs debating with. Just remember to keep it civil.
- - When it comes to the Servants in this RP, I had something different from the norm in Fate RP's in mind when I sat down to write all this; the general power level of Servants should be lower than in canon Holy Grail Wars and other RP's. Powerful Servants are completely fine; but if you want an RP where you can brutalize a rampaging Greek Demigod with invulnerability to anything but A-Ranked Attacks and twelve lives with a sociopathic Babylonian God-King with almost every Noble Phantasm in existance, you might want to go elsewhere. You're not terrible for wanting to throw that kind of stuff around in a Fate RP- it IS one of the big draws of the franchise- but for this RP, I'd sooner go with things being a little more low-key. As with the details in the second note, I'll give more specifications on this below, so read on.
- - As for the Masters in this RP, it might be somewhat of an inverse situation; since many of the Masters participating in this War will be Clock Tower officials and high-ups, the general power level of the Masters will probably be reasonably above what we've seen from most Masters in canon. Think of the general level of power being around the level of Mages such as Kayneth or Cornelius Alba, give or take.
- - For the sake of keeping things from getting too fusterclucky, I'm going to limit this RP to about seven players; Meaning that everyone will have two Servants, and two Masters. You can make more side characters, and if someone doesn't use all four of their character slots, I'll expand the maximum membership to allow more than seven members to make sure that the slots are filled.
And with that out of the way, just some exact specifications on the criteria for Servants in this RP;
- - Pretty much any form of genderbending is flat out. Whilst it was well-executed with Saber in canon, it generally doesn't work too well apart from that, and it's a one way ticket to silliness. Like with uber powerful Servants, if you want to genderbend, this RP probably won't be for you unless you convince me that the instance of genderbending works in the favour of the Servant's character and wouldn't be contrary to the tone of the RP (because Saber WAS well-executed), or unless you want to make a Servant in their correct gender.
- - When I say I want the level of power in this RP to be lower than in other RP's and canon, I don't mean that there can't be strong Servants. High parameters are fine, and so are potent Noble Phantasms, but things not getting too excessive would be nice. To provide a list of examples to clear any confusion;
- Whilst I'm fine with high parameters, so long as they're in line with the Heroic Spirit and the Class that they're summoned into, I'm going to flat out ban putting any Parameter above A+. The only instance of this in canon, if I recall correctly, was Saber Alter's MAG Stat of A++; but still. Be reasonable.
- Similarly, the Ranks of NP's and Skills (Both Class and Personal) should cap at A+ Rank. Be reasonable with ranking these; the effect doesn't matter too much so long as it isn't too ridiculous, so you stand a chance of keeping effects intact even if I ask you to change a Rank. Oh, and anyone pulling out EX-Ranks for anything will be smacked. ^^"
- When it comes to NP's, I realize that there's something of a vague line between what's OP and what's reasonable. For the sake of ease, I'll use Zero Lancer/Diarmuid and his spears Gae Dearg and Gae Buidhe as examples of what's potent, but reasonable, and also Caster/Medea's Rule Breaker and Zero Caster/Bluebeard's Prelati's Spellbook. These aren't conclusive examples, by any means; if you have an idea and you're unsure about it, feel free to shoot a PM my way and check whether it's kosher or not. And just to clear the air about what's definitely not kosher, a short list (not conclusive- if you're curious about anything I might have missed, PM away);
- Reality Marbles.
- Army Summons. I know it was awesome in Fate/zero when Iskander used Ionian Hetairoi, but aside from being ridiculously broken, army summons have been done to death on fan Servants since then.
- Most Absolutes. Stuff like Gae Bolg's Instant Death clause, or Brahmastra always hitting, for instance. If the absolute isn't too much of a big deal, I'll be willing to accept it, but stuff like what I've mentioned previously are definitely a 'big deal'.
- Sword Beams. It's not particularly inventive, and there are far more creative things that you can do with Noble Phantasms than it. Whilst not entirely the same, I'll extend the same to stuff like Brahmastra; although less because 'uninventive', and more because 'really, really hax'.
- Defensive NP's like God Hand or Armour of Fafnir. I'm fine with temporary invincibility along these lines if there's a justifiable reason for it, and so long as there's a time limit on it, but permanent invincibility is a big no-no.
- - When it comes to classes like Rider, Archer and Caster, I'm willing to be lenient with the rules above; whilst I still don't want anything too ridiculous, the point of these classes is that they have powerful Noble Phantasms (Archer, Rider), or are markedly different from how the other classes operate (Caster). PM me for more information about this if you're interested in playing one of these classes.
- - Make the Servant accurate to the Legend; if I reject a Servant sheet, please, please don't automatically assume that I think your sheet is bad. But even if a Servant is accurate to the Legend, it can still be too powerful; in this case, I'd suggest tucking that Servant away for another RP, and looking for one more appropriate. Again, if you want the kind of Fate RP where you can play as a female King Arthur with a Wave-Motion Sword Beam, fighting Cthulhu summoned by Blackbeard as Gilgamesh dogfights a F-15 piloted by Sir Lancelot on a Ancient Hindu Apache Helicopter, and Alexander the Great warps it into his inner world, this RP probably won't be for you.
Other than that, the general rules on godmodding, metagaming and the like are in effect.
Sorry for the doorstopper of an OP; if you need any tl;dr's or anything like that, feel free to ask, and I'll provide as necessary. Speaking of which, any questions? ^^
Current Class Reservations/Setup/Whatever
Archer- [FREE], [FREE]
Assassin- Fish of Oblivion, [FREE]
Berserker- [FREE], [FREE]
Caster- Izaka Sazaka, [FREE]
Lancer- Izaka Sazaka, KSPAM
Rider- KSPAM, [FREE]
Saber- [FREE], [FREE]