RP is accepting new submissions;TL;DR Summary
We're into the RP now, but some people haven't posted or have stopped posting; their characters are going to die or otherwise be knocked out of the story. That means we have room for committed players. If you're reading this, you're welcome to submit a character, reinforcements of some sort, perhaps.
Revanchist Jedi in battle against the Mandalorians, ca 3963 Before Battle of Yavin (BBY)
- Star Wars, Knights of the Old Republic Era - 3963 BBY
- During the Mandalorian Wars, right at the beginning of the intervention of Revan, Malak and his followers.
- Characters will be either Jedi or (non-Jedi) Republic officers and NCO's in the same unit, based on the same ship. They will be uneasy squadmates and comrades. No Sith; as far as the Galaxy knows, they're gone.
- The Jedi are brand new to this war, non-Jedi have been fighting it for a while. Jedi will not be older than 37 years old or will otherwise not have had involvement with the Great Sith War (Exar Kun, Ulic Qel-Droma and the uprising against the Jedi)
- The RP will cover moral themes and the nature of the light side and the dark side of the force. Good, evil, right, wrong, abstract, realistic, idealistic, practical. Duality, decisions and consequences will all feature in this RP.
- Advanced Standards - That doesn't mean we have to write novels. A couple paragraphs satisfies the requirements and keeping it shorter can help move the plot along a little faster. Four-six paragraphs is probably a good sweet spot for many situations.
- We're shooting for at least a post a week; I won't enforce any sort of timeline or insistence that people keep up with each other so much as sort of let people decide who they're collaborating with most directly and then proceed.
- Google Docs will probably get a lot of use in this RP.
Table of Contents
- The IC Thread
- The Chat - Just click on the link, it will open up a mibbit link and drop you right into the channel. Or, if you use a client, the channel is #Revanchism. You can also visit the Guild Chat, if you want to meet other players not necessarily in this RP.
- Wookieepedia - A general resource for races/things/equipment in Star Wars.
- Ihna Zhiss (HeySeuss) - A Zabrak Jedi Knight sent to keep an eye on the Revanchists, she currently struggles with the divided loyalties engendered by this position as well as what the force seems to tell her to do. She is a reluctant warrior, but a warrior nonetheless.
- Dran Obul (Hank)- A Nautolan soldier in IRSOG who has survived other engagements against the Mandalorians, though not unscathed. As a veteran with service prior to the war, as well as having fought the Mandos, he is one of the more veteran soldiers in the unit. - KIA, Tranoraan
- Tarra (Watchman) - A Selkath Jedi Knight with notable piloting skills and a history of often taking the opposite role in arguments with the Council, she now finds herself volunteering for Revan's Mercy Corps and into the fighting. - KIA, Tranoraan
- Eeth Bukk (Crayt) - A Zabrak survivor of Nar Shadadaa's mean streets, this Padawan has more skill in surviving in tough environments than he necessarily does in using the Force, though no one's quite sure how he got away from the Masters. Like many Padawan that showed up to answer Revan's call, he seems to be masterless at the moment. (That can be updated if you get someone to play the master.)
- Una Dwex (Ellri) - A Jedi with a penchant for scrounging the equipment she needs to get the job done, whether the council approves or not; her 'get it done' attitude put her firmly in the ranks of the Revanchists in that she didn't feel ignoring the Mandalorians would be sufficient to hurt their feelings and make them go away.
- Adinraen Barriurden (Rilla) - A Barabel Jedi that couldn't bring himself to sit out the wars in contemplation of his eyelids. - KIA, Tranoraan
- Griffon Algren (Apocrypha) - A natural fighter and experienced infantry soldier that transferred into a Zero-G operations unit; his talents were recognized and he was brought into IRSOG. - KIA, Tranoraan
- Venlyss Noslee (CommunistZed) - A Gand findsman that suffered incredibly when captured by Mandalorians; when he came back, it was with grave reservations from Republic psychiatrists. They were overruled; he was stable enough for IRSOG.
- Journo Tavick (Silverbeck) - A half-Miraluka Jedi and a diplomat, he nonetheless was one of the first to step to the Revanchist cause, seeing the necessity of stopping the Mandalorians. Because he is slightly older and more experienced than the other Revanchist Jedi, he is also their defacto leader, the senior Jedi in IRSOG-37. - KIA, Tranoraan
- Raynard Azor (Darkspleen) - A Jedi as well as a tech expert that found his will to fight when he watched the Core world of Duro burn under Mandalorian assault. He joined the Revanchist cause soon thereafter.
- Henze Vermeijer (Discounter) - A veteran of the Republic Military special operations community, he now finds himself in command of IRSOG-37...though now, with the arrival of the Jedi into the fray, he is faced with the difficulties and opportunities that the new recruits pose. - KIA, Tranoraan
- HK-29 (PridefulHades) - A protocol droid with some, err, specialized programming. - KIA, Tranoraan
- Vran Exilius (mast3rlinkx) - A Padawan of a Revanchist Jedi who was killed, he finds himself to Jedi Knight Tavick, who is less than thrilled to be bringing a padawan learner to the wars.
- Nasrin Braith (Lovejoy) - A padawan that joined the Revanchist cause, but found herself placed under a Jedi Knight when the Revanchists realized that they had a lot of Padawans running around without actual masters. Her antipathy for droids is an odd match for knight Azor, who is a technophile... - KIA, Tranoraan
- Zyro Maholka (Syntax Error) - A runaway Padawan that came in search of his missing master and is now caught up in the Mandalorian Wars, for better or for worse.
- Donnor Karr (Gerrigen) - One of the more experienced Jedi among the Revanchists, he was assigned to IRSOG-22; the unit was annihilated during their insertion on Tranoraan. Karr survived because was with the reserve back on the Arkania, a Foray-Class ship similar to the Intruder. Those reserves are now slated to reinforce the heavily embattled IRSOG-37 as they try to complete their objective.
- Orrin Rev (The Hound) - A Draethos Jedi that finds the Jedi Order to be stifling in many of its ways, and sees the flaws in the way the Masters do things, owing, perhaps, to finding his greatest inspiration in how a Jedi conducts themselves with the self-sacrifice of a Jedi of his acquaintance on his homeworld. He joined the Revanchist cause to escape the Jedi Council and was assigned to IRSOG-22 and finds himself on his way to join IRSOG-37 in its battle.
- Derryk Argassi (Jester) - An officer that was kept aboard the Arkania when IRSOG-22 was annihilated, he now finds himself assigned to take over the command of IRSOG-37, which is engaged in a heated, high casualty battle.
- Characters to be added as character sheets come in and are approved.
In Character Info
The Mandalorian Wars are going very badly for the Republic; the enemy is vast and skilled at warfare, marshaling their resources and driving in from the Outer Rim with unparalleled skill and ferocity. The Republic is tottering and frayed at the edges while one of its most potent institutions, the Jedi Order, abstains from engaging this threat to the Republic itself. The Masters, still remembering, perhaps reeling from, the lessons of the last war with the Sith, against the Jedi traitor Exar Kun, worry that a call to war would imperil the order's impartiality and discipline, something fostered in reforms that resulted from that last war.
Yet within the Order, there is a faction, mostly of younger, more idealistic Jedi, who maintain that they cannot simply sit by and watch the galaxy burn, that they must make a stand for the greater good and put a stop to the rampaging Mandalorian horde. These Jedi have a strong and compelling leader in the form of a man known as Revan, or the Revanchist who argues persuasively for intervention to save the Republic. Yet the Masters hold the Order back, arguing for nonintervention in what they view as merely a political affair. They stand apart, while the Galaxy slips out of control.
After a group of Jedi visit the planet of Cathar, devastated years ago by the Mandalorians, they experience a vision of massacre and wanton slaughter, and of a woman that tried to argue against the Mandalorian slaughter, ordered by Cassus Fett, of the defeated and helpless Cathars. Revan dons this woman's helmet and vows to come to the aid of the Republic; many Jedi who were wavering commit, and the Masters relent in their neutrality and allow the Revanchists to enter the war as a "Mercy Corps" intended to provide battlefield support. Yet the young Jedi, so close to the fray, cannot help but commit once in it; for the sake of the Republic and innocent lives, they use the half-agreement of the Masters to enter the war...
Out of Character Info
The RP is about the fall of the Jedi under Revan, their experiences in the battles and the consequences of their choices. It is about wrestling with one's very soul and how the best of intentions often pave the path to Hell (or the Dark Side, in Star Wars.) The characters are likely to be younger Jedi Knights and Padawans; all fairly young. They have not experienced true warfare on this scale, nor do they realize how it is going to change them. Much like the youth in the autumn of 1914, the first year of World War I, they are in for a shock to their entire being, a life-altering event that will mark them for the rest of their days.
Of course, those of you who have played Knights of the Old Republic, 1&2, know what is in store. We'll try to avoid foreshadowing too much or giving away spoilers, but even if we know how the plot goes, we can roleplay out specifics.
Characters should be Jedi or Republic soldiers of varying races; I'm not entirely keen on the idea of droid characters, but if one can make a persuasive argument for having one, we'll see on a case by case basis -- odds are that such a character would be attached to another character. I see droids more as an NPC type of character rather than a main character unless said droid has some agenda and is relatively independent.
Characters cannot be highly experienced Jedi Knights that know warfare on this scale beyond, say, a theoretical basis, rooted in military history. No Jedi Masters. I'd like to try to keep the feel of this being a new and traumatic experience for the characters, so I'm going to scrutinize things carefully; a character may be used to chasing around bounty hunters or the occasional chase in a starfighter, or smuggling or dealing with what the peacetime Jedi deal with, but nothing's going to prepare them for the scale of death and destruction that comes with a war of galactic-scale mass mobilization -- particularly as after the Exar Kun war, the Jedi Masters became more obsessed with staying out of galactic politics. Odds are they'd de-emphasize military theory studies and the like anyway and concentrate on a policing role. In short, the Jedi are inexperienced in logistics, command/staff work, small unit leadership/tactics and many of the other things that distinguish military conflict from a more limited use of force on the individual scale that Jedi would be familiar with. This,of course, is where non-Jedi come into play.
The RP will definitely start with events right after the visions on Cathar, when the Jedi are just joining; the Republic troops are probably skeptical and bitter about the Jedi stance on non-involvement up to this point. The story arc will probably end with the Battle of Malachor V, that being the final battle. For the sake of those who don't know the KOTOR games, let's not spoil things.
The characters will probably be leaders of small NPC units or independent operators, specialists, basically. The exact nature of how this works will be determined if the RP proceeds into OOC.
Character Situation Report
The characters find themselves assigned to Intelligence, Reconnaissance and Special Operations Group (IRSOG) 37, a highly specialized unit that is used for a variety of unconventional operations; they are the first to land on a battlefield, securing high value targets, prepping the battlefield or acting as an elite spearhead in the various operations of the Republic Army. There is a high turnover, because the Mandalorians are extremely good warriors, even though they are mass-recruiting their 'Neo-Crusaders' these days.
The veterans of the IRSOGs have seen heavy fighting and are aware of the dangers inherent in their trade. They are at the tip of the spear, in the most extreme of circumstances and some of their missions resemble nothing if not suicide operations; many of the most motivated recruits have had their homes devastated by the Mandalorians, or lost loved ones. That is, of course, the non-Jedi, the ones that'd carried the war to this point.
With the entry of the Jedi into the war, the Mercy Corps Revan formed is technically supposed to provide battlefield support as healers and the such, and yet the line is blurred in the IRSOG unit where the missions are not always direct combat. But the Jedi are authorized to defend themselves, and a convenient circumvention of the restrictions the Masters placed on them is for a Jedi to find themselves in a combat situation. Of course, there is circumvention and downright disobedience.
For the Jedi, this is the first step into unfamiliar territory, actual resistance, in deed, to the Jedi Masters at the various temples. They are generally believers in the rightness of this course, perhaps the Force even tells them that this is the right thing to do, the course of compassion. Many of they younger Jedi chafe at the inaction of the Masters and yet, chafing and disobeying are two different things, particularly for rigorously disciplined Jedi.
These new arrivals are not greeted by open arms by their would-be comrades. They sat out much of the war, and the average line trooper does not understand or care much about Jedi politics; there is a split of opinion between relief and derision, a sort of 'about time you got here' attitude that runs the gamut from forgiveness to bitterness for previous Jedi inaction in the face of a Mandalorian menace that seems intent on swallowing the Republic whole.
IRSOG 37 faces these problems, as well as the other problems shared by the Republic Army as a whole; the integration of Jedi and their capabilities into their structure, the adaptation of command and control and tactics to this infusion of Jedi. For while there is bitterness about the Jedi, there is no doubt that even a handful of Jedi can change the course of a battle. Much as resentments may divide allies during the downtime, there is a greater enemy that looms.
Tranoraan is an occupied planet with vital strategic resources, notably its robust quadranium mining sector, as well as the primary manufacturing plants for Kellenech Technologies, who specialize in droid and small starship production. IRSOG-37 is to spearhead the operation in an attempt to take the Kellenech Technologies production facilities intact from the Mandalorian forces occupying it. If this factory is kept in Mandalorian hands, it will produce military droids for their use.
Tranoraan is a Type II atmosphere and breathing apparatuses are advised for the use of most species; the terrain is scrub desert with a daytime cycle average of 50 C degrees; it has a planetary rotation of thirty four standard hours and revolves around its sun once every three hundred and twenty two local days.
Landing by para-wing gliders in a high atmospheric drop, IRSOG 37's task is to overtake the facility in a stealth assault; first by disabling automated perimeter defenses using a backdoor access IFF code. The second phase of the operation is to gain physical entry into the facility itself.
TEAM NEXU will work down into the mainframe core, which is anticipated to be heavily guarded; it is preferred that the core be disabled without damaging it, but that is up to the discretion of the operatives as according to the situation.
TEAM VORNSKR will be tasked with reprogramming an experimental line of battle droids based on Krath War Droid designs recovered by the Kellenech team at the end of the Great Sith War to act against the Mandalorian garrison and then mount an assault on the Mandalorian positions in the facility.
TEAM KRAYT will disable the perimeter defenses of the facility and then shift to overwatch and a blocking force role against reinforcements to the facility itself once other teams initiate their phases of the operation..
IRSOG 37 was requested specifically for this mission because it has a high number of Jedi personnel; the Mando have yet to meet prepared Jedi in actual combat in any great numbers. While in the past, they have encountered Jedi here and there in their invasions, they have not seen Jedi on the offensive and this surprise is anticipated to be crucial in executing this operation.
37 is assigned to the Intruder, an experimental Foray-class corvette with upgraded stealth abilities; it is able to mask its identity and evade detection as necessary, while deploying IRSOG 37. The Fenris will remain on station for fire support, command and control and other functions for IRSOG 37 and the main invasion force, which is set to start invading four hours after the initial IRSOG 37 incursion.
Kellenech Technologies executives and other key personnel that escaped the Mandalorian attack have been highly cooperative in providing intelligence about the facility in the hopes that the assault force will try to preserve it as much as possible -- to that end, many different access codes and viruses have been provided for use by slicers to assist in disabling the production plant and any automated defenses in the area.
- Grif & Fireteam A (Apocrypha)
- Adinraen Barriurden (Rilla)
- Eeth Bukk (Crayt)
- Heinze Vermeijer (Discounter)
- Raynard Azor (Darkspleen)
- Nasrin Braith (Lovejoy)
- Ihna Zhiss (HeySeuss)
- Kandor Thex & Fireteam B (NPC/HeySeuss)
- Dran Obul (Hank)
- Venlyss Noslee (CommunistZed)
- Una Dwex (Ellri)
- Zyro Maholka (Syntax Error)
- Journo Tavick (Silverbeck)
- Vran Exilius (mast3rlinkx)
- HK-29 (PridefulHades)
- Tarra (Watchman)
Upon landing and starting their mission, Intelligence, Reconnaissance and Special Operations Group (IRSOG) 37 suffered casualties (or will soon) and ran into stiffer resistance than expected at the Kellenbach Technologies plant on Tranoraan, a desert planet in the Core, currently being liberated from the Mandalorians. IRSOG 22, a sister unit whose forces were largely destroyed before they could even land, are slated to use the forces they had in reserve for their now-defunct mission to reinforce the imperiled IRSOG 37 in their siege. This, of course, gives us a way to introduce some new characters to the fight...
- New Commanding Officer, the former Executive Officer of IRSOG 22 - A military officer that just watched command annihilate much of his unit with an almost suicidal battle plan, this character is now thrust into the battle reinforcing IRSOG 37 which is being overwhelmed by the enemy. IRSOG 22's mission was to engage the enemies now reinforcing 37's target. He is tasked with assuming command over an embattled unit trying to get a job done despite the difficulties. His job description is simple; make sure IRSOG 37, his new command, gets the job done. His job, however, is not simple.
- Other Jedi and Padawans - Same applies, though not as leaders. These characters also need not be humans.
- Engineers, Slicers and other specialists - Probably non-force users, though some force users are very good with this stuff.
- Other ideas entertained as submitted, including droids. Various races, including nonhumans, are preferred.
(This isn't meant insultingly, but please, no wall of text. Put spaces between paragraphs, try to format your character sheet for some sort of readability. I consider knowing how to space paragraphs part and parcel with Advanced RP. Most of you won't have this issue.)
Rank/Title: (no higher than Jedi Knight -- No masters.)
Planet of Origin/Birth:
Force Sensitive Y/N:
Insert a physical description here; include how they dress. Pictures are acceptable, so long as they are star wars pictures rather than of actors you like. Illustrations/real actors, etc. But it has to be Star Wars.
- Please list with most potent skills first.
- List here, item by item.
A psychological profile, something to work off of. It should relate to the character history and give insight to their motivations and why they're here.History:A personal history of the character -- enough to get a feel of where the character is coming from -- please don't say, "The history will come out in the RP." I want you to work on the history ahead of time so you have a better, clearer picture of how your character thinks and acts. You don't have to nail down every minute detail, just flesh out the important parts of the character's life, what shaped them into who they are.
How they got to this point, their background. Incidentally, Jedi are restricted in their combat experience; they have yet to face the Mandalorians or serve in this war. They have only the experience of law enforcement and the such as Jedi, their experience of combat is not necessarily useless, but they are new to strategy, logistics, the scope of it, the destruction.
Relationships and Acquaintances:
How your character knows at least one or two other PC's. I want there to be some overlap between characters, so this is sort of how I am trying to prompt that.
While it is perfectly allowable to play humans, Star Wars has a diversity of playable races, and you are encouraged to try various races out. These are just a few suggestions; you can try other races as well (pending GM approval, anyway.)
- Twi'lek - The head-tail chicks. A race that often finds themselves enslaved to others.
- Rodian - A bizarre reptilian species with a comical look, but from a culture that glorifies death and hunting, often found in the fringes of space as smugglers, assassins and others. They look cute and harmless, and it's a facade they use quite well on the unwary.
- Droid - The workhorses of the galaxy, often sent to do jobs to make organic lives easier, there are nonetheless some considerable surprises to be found among various examples of these programmed, self-aware machines.
- Wookiees - Big, hairy, scary and often misunderstood, but highly useful. If all else fails, pull their arms out.
- Duros - Blue skinned, red eyed and noseless, this race is known for their daring and as one of the first spacefaring races in the Republic. To hear the Duros tell it, they invented courage and the hyperdrive.
- Bothan - A furry humanoid race with vaguely canid features that are well known for the ferocity of their internal politics, their prowess at subterfuge and spying and their ferocity toward those they deem racial enemies.
- Other races are totally allowed so long as I can read up on them at wookieepedia, though I reserve the right to turn down anything I think is too unbalancing.