Name: Nate River
Near, Professor Mail Jeevas
- Date of Birth:
August 24, 1991
World-renowned detective, Professor of Criminal Justice
- Near's primary weapon is his extreme intelligence and deductive abilities, which many members of the ICPO say are on par or (in rare cases) greater than those of his predecessor.
- Nate is also polylingual, speaking languages such as English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, German, Russian, Arabic, and Hindi.
- Following the original Kira case, Near has come to the realization that his cold demeanor doesn't always solve cases, and has become much bolder with his actions, researching the original L's work and modeling his new way of investigation after both L and Mello.
Most of the boy known as Nate River's past is unknown, even to himself, all that he can recall from his childhood is that he was born in the famous city of Los Angeles to a pair of drug addicts, although it was never revealed to him, his mother and father were actually two of the victims of the infamous Los Angeles BB murder case and in fact a toddler Near was found huddled by his mother's corpse when Naomi, Wedy, and Aiber arrived on the scene. Rather than deliver him to a hospital or police station, the trio brought him to their investigative headquarters. There, they fed him and disputed what to do with him; this would be the only time Watari would appear in person during the case, L himself recommended the boy be sent to Wammy's House
, and after a short discussion with Watari, the latter was sent to the headquarters to pick the child up, reassuring the investigative team that the lad was going to be okay, and ever since, Near has lived in Winchester, England.
During his first few years at Wammy's, Near's intellect increased ten fold, quickly showing his prodigious intelligence by learning multiple languages and showing aptitude with computer programming. He was soon the target of multiple bullies within the institution, this caused him to become a social shut-in, which resulted in him not only having imaginary friends (which he grew out of) but also finger puppets and action figures, which he still uses to this day. During one particular incident of bullying, the fight was broken up by an older boy who went by the name of Mello, due to his childish and social queerness, Near never thanked his elder, instead running off and back into his room, despite this, Mello followed him and attempted to strike up a conversation with the young boy, this was one of the first conversations Near ever had with a person relatively the same age as himself, and it probably didn't go as well as Near thought, as ever since that day, Mello had something of an unspoken rivalry with Near, while the latter somewhat admired the former, although this all changed when the race to become L's successor began.
The subsequent rivalry between not only Near and Mello, but also Matt, became legendary within Wammy's House, and Near's admiration of Mello would be shattered when the latter began using underhanded tricks in ortder to get ahead. The boys' hatred for each other was amplified when Roger Ruvie
announced that L had passed. The news barely did anything to Near, as he had grown somewhat callous during his years in the institution, and particularly cold once he began working on his own cases. The resulting argument between Mello and Roger caused Near to go unopposed as the successor of L.
Using his new-found resources and influence, Near began his own private investigation into the Kira case using the alias of Deneuve (Which Light never used during his time as L, oddly enough). After some years of monitoring both Kira and L's actions, Near sent a message to the United States government requesting a personal meeting with the President , and after some negotiating (after all, it was hard to believe that Deneuve was such a youngster, considering his predecessor had been using the name before Near was even born) the President gave the full resources of the government to Near, who soon used them to form the Special Provision for Kira
, or SPK.
He soon began the famous cat and mouse game with none other than L himself, Light Yagami. During this time, Near revealed his plans to almost noone other than Anthony Rester
, whom he took on as something of a father figure and second-in-command. After thoroughly analyzing the actions taken by his former rival Mello which resulted in his own death to reach Kira before him, Near decided to make his move, sending Gevanni
in order to steal the Death Note from Teru Mikami
, the resulting altercation at the yellow box warehouse has become Near's crowning achievement in his detective work.
After thoroughly defeating Kira, Near took on the alias of L, Roger Ruvie becoming Watari in line with Quillish Wammy
's wishes. Their relationship however, deteriorated rather quickly as Near often questioned whether he could've done something to prevent Mello's death, or even if stopping Kira was even the right thing to do. Crime rates had increased dramatically following Light Yagami's death, and at the time, he had thought it was all a game. Wishing to be rid of the name of L and Watari, Near set up another identity, using Matt's true name of Mail Jeevas, "L" set up a completely air tight citizenship, complete with driver's license, birth certificate, and social security number. Roger Ruvie had no problem letting Near surrender the name of L, and set up yet another successor.
Near, feeling responsible for the monumental increase in crime rates around the world continued his detective work, using his old alias of Deneuve. He even went as far as to personally request Anthony Rester to work with him, giving Rester his own alias of Ryūjin
. Together, along with survivors of the SPK, the duo decreased crime rates within the United States and abroad. After a year or so, Near opened up to Rester about why he was so anti-social and shut in, even going so far as giving classified information regarding Wammy's House. The commander comforted Near, who he now considered an adoptive son, and went so far as suggesting the boy go to college, which, after some consideration, he accepted. There, Near used his Mail Jeevas identity and majored in Criminal Justice, with a minor in Philosophy and Mathematics, while continuing his full-time detective work.
Graduating after only a year, Near solved many cases around the world, and determined something: He would need a successor himself. There was no way he would be able to stop crime all together in his lifetime, though, he could use a successor of his own to challenge the L name. Using the name of Deneuve, Nate signed on to become a professor at a large High School, despite the staff requesting that Near reveal his face and name, he negotiated with them that he would teach through a computer and never reveal his face, due to continued suspicion and paranoia of another Kira, they agreed, and after looking through the various legal documents set up for "Mail Jeevas", they declared him the professor of the class, although neither the staff nor Near have revealed that he is indeed Deneuve. The staff did however request that at least one person be in the class in physical form, and went as far as to ask if Deneuve had any suggestions, knowing he couldn't send Rester himself, Near could only think of one person: Stephen Gevanni.
Name: Stephen Loud
- Near is almost constantly twirling a piece of his hair on his fingers, when questioned, he simply states that it helps him think.
- Always seated in a rather weird fashion.
- Never seen without some kind of toy or game, and often uses them to explain his deductions and theorize a plan of attack.
- Following Mello's death, Near began eating chocolate on a regular basis, and has become somewhat addicted to cocoa and sugar, particularly coffee.
- Oddly, Near wears a suit of pajamas at almost all times, only changing into jeans and a white button-up whenever he would have to make a public appearance, which hasn't been for years.
- Date of Birth:
September 1, 1982
Private Detective, Former SPK
Name: Anthony Carter
- Loud was unquestionably the most well rounded member of the SPK, known for his quick wit and stealth
- Due to his low-class roots, Gevanni is a skilled lock-picker and forger
- He is undoubtedly to most athletic member of Near's team, and has training in multiple martial arts
- Date of Birth:
January 6, 1968
Personal handler of Deneuve, Former Second-In-Command of the SPK
, Retired FBI
- Carter has a vast number of contacts both in and out of the FBI, United States Government, and CIA, albeit most of these contacts are aware of his status as a former SPK Agent.
- Due to inheriting his father's fortune, Rester provides the vast majority of the equipment of Near's team, and can even hire outside agents to perform tasks for them