Phoebe, a name given by her Trainer because of it's link to 'Phobia' (her stage name), unaware that the name also means 'Bright'.
Mina, a simple name she still prefers.
27, 19 years of which was spent as a larvae Tynamo and 5 as an Eelektrik. Mina was evolved through use of a synthesised Thunderstone shortly after being captured for the Colosseum four years ago.
A male trainer named Albus. Albus is fairly new to the Colosseum, but not to Pokemon battling, having once been an adventurer who rounded up and terminated feral Pokemon. His inexperience in dealing with other highly trained Pokemon can be seen in his training schemes and decisions, however, his experience in predicting the actions of other Pokemon also shows. Albus is not a particularly easy trainer to work with, becoming frustrated when things don't go his way, but can be a very clever instructor when circumstances allow. Mina tolerates him, grateful that she isn't under the ownership of the more abusive trainers, but isn't at all fond of his personality and condescending manner.
For a leech Pokemon, Mina is surprisingly graceful. Her tail and dorsal fin are both slightly less eel-like than her relatives, and her fins and arms are stronger, giving her more resemblance to a shark or fish than a lamprey in motion as she 'swims' through the air with Levitate. Her skin, just slightly lighter and greyer than other Eelektross, is fairly thick and hard to pierce, but also clammy and chilling to touch, besides the obvious danger of electrocution. Her claws have been sharpened and honed as part of her training, and through specialised exercise, the rays in her lower fins are tough enough to use as rudimentary feet. The parasitic apparatus in her jawless mouth is usually hidden to avoid being seen as disturbing by Humans, and her electrical organs, which form distinctive bands instead of the usual circles, tend to spark and glow more than entirely necessary. A thin, straight scar along the top of her head, fully healed but still discoloured due to the nature of her skin, marks where her monitoring and controlling implants were applied.
Mina/Phoebe is a fairly agreeable, but not restful, soul. Having spent so much of her life as a larvae, small and weak but free to do as she pleased and surrounded by others like herself, she didn't take well to the containment of the Colosseum. Mina is willing enough to stay on good terms with other Pokemon and even Humans when not fighting them, but isn't particularly patient or collected. When not in action in the training zones or in the Arena, she tends to become anxious and irritable to others, although not completely hostile. Her attempts at being hospitable or helpful rarely succeed due to her personality, even though her intents are good-natured. Combat, even when she's forced into it, gives her something to channel her all of her mind and strength into, releasing frustration and stress on an opponent. Mina often feels much calmer and more friendly after a fight, unless, of course, she was forced into a deathmatch. Despite her frustration with the world and thorny exterior, she tries to keep up the hope that she'll escape the Arena one day, and refuses adamantly to be corrupted by the violence.
Mina led a very peaceful life in the Chargestone Caves for most of her years. A single part of a large Tynamo shoal, she had no notable traits whatsoever. The part of the cavern system in which she lived was preserved as a tourist attraction for Unova even while the rest of the caves were emptied and mined. Upon evolution, however, her nature changed greatly. Once a larvae with little protection except safety in numbers, she was now a fairly capable predator eager to test the limits of her abilities. Though a perfectly natural part of the cave ecosystem at first, and a slightly tame tourist attraction for the eager Humans she was used to, she later took to seeing the Humans as potential prey, being among the largest and weakest species in the caves. Shortly after becoming a danger to visitors, a certain Pokemon trainer by the name of Albus was recruited to put an end to her spree of minor attacks. Mina put up much more of a fight than expected, and Albus, whose adventuring days were nearly past and was planning to retire from the work anyway, seized his chance and kept the Eelektrik for himself, applying and being accepted as an official Colosseum trainer.
Gladiator, no description needed.
Effort values number 252 in Health, 192 in Attack, and 64 in Special Attack. Brave nature (+Attack, -Speed).
Mina wears a specially made Zoom Lens over her left eye, which allows her to strike much more accurately with Zap Cannon when the opponent strikes first and gives her an opportunity. This happens very often against offensive opponents, as Mina knows she's far too slow to match most other Gladiators.
- Coil-Poison-Auxiliary Mina coils hagfish-like into a compact and defensive position, biding her time. If the opponent strikes after Phoebe prepares herself like this, she can much more easily take a blow and launch a powerful retaliation. (+1 Accuracy, +1 Defense, +1 Attack)
- Acid Spray-Poison-Special Mina spits a jet of a corrosive and burning solution at an opponent at close range. The damage caused directly by the acidic venom can be shrugged off without too much difficulty by a tough Pokemon, but the lingering acid eats away at a rivalling gladiator's skin and can cause internal damage by entering the bloodstream, leaving them highly vulnerable to further Special bombardment. (40 base power, 100% chance of lowering Special Defense by 2)
- Crush Claw-Normal-Physical Mina grabs the opponent with her powerful claws and jawless fangs. The natural suction of her arms and parasitic face prevent the opponent from escaping, allowing Mina to freely put her formidable body strength into breaking as many of the opponent's bones as she can before she's forced to let go. A squeezed opponent is often easier to deal with physically after the move. (75 base power, 5% miss chance, 50% chance of lowering Defense by 1)
- Wild Charge-Electric-Physical Mina charges the foe with powerful claws and fangs, discharging all of the electricity in her body upon impact. Though her body strength and ability to hold on to a struck opponent makes this a powerful technique, the sudden loss of power combined with the physical punishment of collision with another body inflicts painful recoil. (90 base power, 25% damage recoil)
- Zap Cannon-Electric-Special Mina gathers her electrical powers into a single point and condenses the lightning into a self-contained sphere that explodes into a small lightning storm upon meeting an electrical conductor, like the body of another Pokemon. The sphere does both very impressive damage and stuns the target, but is very difficult to aim under unfavourable circumstances. After a use of Coil and Acid Spray, though, very little can withstand the technique. (120 base power, 50% miss chance, 100% chance of paralysis)
- Dragon Claw
- Drain Punch
- Aqua Tail
- Gastro Acid
- Grass Knot
It took Albus and Mina over a year of trial and error to find a suitable strategy. Though the moves available to Eelektross in the wild are limited, their primitive genes and the near-limitless resources of the Colosseum can unlock a strangely large variety of moves for them, hence the enormous secondary moveset. After trials with specially offensive, physical brute, hit-and-run and even stall strategies, Albus found that the best method of taking down opponents was to use a combination of bulk and auxiliary moves to give Phoebe the upper edge in the early battle, then hitting home with a combination of both Physical and Special power depending on the opponent. Though the strategy is powerful and difficult to work around due to Mina's lack of elemental weaknesses, her main tactic is almost entirely useless against Steel-types, which are immune to Acid Spray and resist her other main offensive moves, forcing her to rely on poorly-remembered secondary moves and preventing an overwise formidable Pokemon from reaching top spot.
"Humans are dominant by virtue of their technology. When one day the machines are gone, though, then we'll see who's the apex predator."
Theme Song: Not exactly classical, but with a warlike sound and a fitting dose of electric music. Kindof suits Mina's combination of power and specialised tactics.