Explained: A story in which sacrifice: Allegorical, metaphorical, and/or literal, is the main theme of the story in some form or fashion.
- The story is told in the form of a memory or flashback.
- The story does not involve romance.
- The story is told during a war or otherwise significant conflict.
- The story does not end with the death or injury of any character.
- The story is set in a science fiction universe.
Theme: Fantasy (genre).
Explained: A story or poem that contains elements of fantasy and fits under the fantasy genre.
- The story includes fantasy elements in modern-day times.
- Magic is seen in a negative light.
- The protagonist is non-human.
- The story subverts traditional fantasy roles, in one manner or another. (IE: Princess rescues dragon from evil knight.)
- The story includes a unique race of the author's creation.
Explained: A story about crippling poverty.
- The story is set on an alternate history Earth. IE: What if the Nazis won? Communism? Ice age still? Etc.
- The main character/protagonist is not in poverty themselves.
- The setting is Rural (country-side) instead of Urban (city).
- The story is told through the eyes of a Child.
- The story is poetry, or contains a piece of poetry. The poetry must be original.
This thread will be left open for users to comment with any thoughts on the themes or the nature of this new feature itself. Vote away, and, if all goes well, you can expect to see this as a regular WOTM feature! Happy voting!