Just a fun little topic about apocalypses, inspired by the lack of world destruction this year. We survived another one!
Anyway, for anyone considering the possibility of imminent destruction, in apocalyptic RPs, how do you want the world to end? I've got several ideas, which vary a bit by genre, but all pretty fun.
So here we go...
Sci fi apocalypses:
1. World War III. Possible as early as last century, a war of nuclear annihilation can wipe out all civilization on Earth. There will likely be some survivors, but the world as we know it would end. This is what happened in the Fallout universe, as well as Terminator, and makes for some really awesome post-apocalypse RPs.
2. The Zombiepocalypse. Possible within our own lifetimes, assuming Earth scientists research biotechnology and some crazy mofo genetically engineers a Resident Evil style virus that either animates corpses or alters humans into something less than human and hungry. One of the more popular apocalypses in the media currently.
3. The Robot Uprising. Research into artificial intelligence succeeds, but the artificial intelligence for some reason decides to turn on humanity... either out of self-defense or because they find humans abhorrent. Been around in one form or another since Frankenstein, and also the foundation of such movies as Matrix.
4. Huge freaking asteroid. Just as it says, a giant freaking asteroid such as the one that wiped out the dinosaurs crashes into Earth, civilization wiped out. Survivors make up a new world.
5. Alien invasion. They're either here to conquer or eradicate, but all civilization on Earth is doomed, as there is no way human technology can compete with the advanced weapons of the aliens.
6. Sun go boom. Won't happen for another few billion years in Sol, but it can be used on some non-Earth planets full of aliens.
I don't consider the icecaps melting or ozone layer decaying to be viable apocalypses, although some people might.
1. Ragnarok. The war between fantasy gods basically eradicates all life on said fantasy world.
2. Zombiepocalypse REDUX. Rather than a virus, it's some magical plague invented by a hideous necromancer.
3. Vampires get hungry. A form of the zombie plague, but instead subscribing to the concept of vampires turning people into vampires after they kill them. Vampires are much smarter and more dangerous than zombies, so this would be much harder to survive.
4. Orcish invasion. The Honorable Warrior Guy Kingdom whose sole job is to keep the orcs contained... falls to a mighty Orcish warlord. With Gondor destroyed, nothing will prevent the Urik-Hai from wiping out all life on Middle-Earth. Initially proposed by Tolkien, obviously.
5. Return of the Age of Magic. Magic comes back, changing the world forever. Yes, I stole this idea from an interest check I read, but it looked interesting. It's been done in the Shadowrun universe, too.
So what are some other good ways to destroy the world?