I might join once I get an idea up and running.
Right, to lay down some ground rules to begin with.
1. Don't be a douche. I know it sounds general, and it sounds vaguely like common sense, but seriously, in my experience, this rule has been flouted many times.
2. The technology level in this world is 1300-1600 in the real world. This sounds like one hell of a long time, but it's designed to allow the coexistence of gunpowder, Late Antiquity and medieval weaponry, for those of us who prefer knights charging on horseback to lines of musketeers firing in serried ranks.
3. There is magic in this world. Magic is commonplace, even in most people's lives (unless your kingdom is... not used to magic, shall we say, or overly superstitious). Street lighting will be the result of daylight spells, or Continual Flame. Now, how magic is implemented differs. There is the standard Dungeons and Dragons style of magic, and then there's what I term the 'Square Enix' style of magic, and if you have another form of magic (Not Harry Potter, I'm sad to say, unless you can convince me otherwise) then feel free to let me know via PM or any other form of communication.
4. I am planning for most Out of Character exchanges to take place in Skype (Skype name legion_x51, what a surprise), but if that is not possible, then please inform me by PM and we can arrange for the OOC thread to be frequented by us as well. It's easier to interact with other players outside the RPG and explain things to them via Skype I find, but by all means, if you don't want to or can't use Skype, use the OOC thread - it's what it's there for.
5. The 5th rule is, of course, to have fun! If you have a complaint, or a question or a point of information, then send it to me by PM or over Skype, and we can discuss things and sort them out.
Now, on with the story! Which does need some work, I admit.
"There has forever been a constant in this world. Conflict. War exists in many forms; from simple skirmishes between villages, to titanic clashes between armies of superpowers. There's another constant within war, as well. People die. But for all of the war that has occurred over the last few thousand years, nothing has really changed. Empires rise and fall, Kings grow old and die, their imperial ambition dying with them. Elves, dwarves, men, orcs... they all die off. The gods are reluctant to involve themselves in the affairs of mortals. But now, things have changed. The slaughter has increased, there are invasions from beyond the Prime Material, and the races of our plane continue to fight each other as well as their extraplanar invaders! Why must we fight continously? Is there a reason for all of this death and destruction? Cannot we live in peace?" - The human philosopher Caius Cornelius Agricola, AD 1371.
The year is AD 1375.
In the world in which we live, there is, as Agricola states, a constant presence of war. But in this world, a group of individuals have the power to change the fate of the planet. Leaders, warriors, mages or nobles, whatever they are, they are the arbitrators of war and peace. Kingdoms of men, of dwarves, of elves and of orcs and other races rule over vast tracts of lands, whilst others rule as city-states, perhaps controlling the land within a few days' ride, and the local villages. And, of course, there are the superpowers - those who are envied by all. The Aethinian Empire. The Kush States of the orcs of Valdoril. The Dodecarchy of Silverwater in the Underdark. The Kingdom of Rossiya. All of these, and more, are responsible for the constant flux and retreat of war and peace across the lands. But is that not how it should be? There has forever been a hierarchy within society - the rich at the top, and the poor at the bottom. It has been this way for centuries.
You - yes, you, my good person, are to take charge of the destiny of both a nation and a character (or characters) within the violent, tempestuous world of Kara. 'Kara' is the name given by the elves to this continent of the planet Zithulcal, and this is where the action takes place!
That's a brief overview of the story. And now, because this is an Interest Check, I will leave it to you, the community, to declare (or not, as the case may be) your interest in the RPG.
If enough people are interested (and add me on Skype, of course, in order to better facilitate communication, unless this is not possible), then the OOC/Application thread will be created, as per the norm.
Originally Posted by Jannge on Skype
Liberate tutemae Ex Inferis
Superbia in Proelio
"The world wasn't big enough for Alexander, but a coffin was big enough to contain him."- Juvenal
"I am poor, I have only my dreams. I spread my dreams under your feet. Tread carefully. For you tread on my dreams." - Yeats
"Now, if the slap don't work...You cut 'em or you pay 'em, but you keep the receipts 'cos this 'aint the Mafia, alright?" - Archie
"No one starts... on the top of the world. Not you. Not me. Not even gods. But the unbearable vacancy of the throne in the sky is over. From now on... I will be sitting on it."
And the best of them all
"You see that pack of Virginia killing sticks on the end of the piano? All you need to know about life is retained in those four walls. You will notice that one of your personalities is seduced by the illusions of grandeur - the gold packet of king size with a regal insignia, an attractive implication towards grandeur and wealth, the subtle suggestion that cigarettes are indeed your royal and loyal friends, and that, Pete, is a lie. Your other personality is trying to draw your attention to the flip side of the discussion, written in boring bold black and white, is a statement that these neat little soldiers of death are in fact trying to kill you and that, Pete, is the truth. Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and i'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren. That that starts sweet ends bitter, and that which starts bitter ends sweet." - Johnny Quid
^ Immense graphics from Chibisuke ^
-Current Roleplays-~You should check them out~
Nothing currently *Sad face*