This thread exists for the purpose of you, the participants of WOTM, to vote for what theme you'd like us, the WOTM staff, to use next contest. This way, we can only use themes that please as many WOTM participants as possible. The poll is multi-choice, so if you like more than one theme, you're welcome to say so. Also, themes that do not win this vote will likely be given another chance in future polls.
Theme: Fantasy (genre).
Explained: A story or poem that contains elements of fantasy and fits under the fantasy genre.
- The story includes fantasy elements in modern-day times.
- Magic is seen in a negative light.
- The protagonist is non-human.
- The story subverts traditional fantasy roles, in one manner or another. (IE: Princess rescues dragon from evil knight.)
- The story includes a unique race of the author's creation.
Explained: A story about crippling poverty.
- The story is set on an alternate history Earth. IE: What if the Nazis won? Communism? Ice age still? Etc.
- The main character/protagonist is not in poverty themselves.
- The setting is Rural (country-side) instead of Urban (city).
- The story is told through the eyes of a Child.
- The story is poetry, or contains a piece of poetry. The poetry must be original.
Explained: A character or thing must be lost.
- The entity or object in question does not want to be found.
- The object or entity in question is lost due to a theft.
- The object or entity is of great significance to a person/group with no hope of being found.
- The entity or object in question is found.
- The object or entity didn't seem important until it was gone.
This thread will be left open, and for good reason! Please don't hesitate to comment on the themes themselves or general setup of this (still new, and subject to change) WOTM feature.