Revanchist Jedi in battle against the Mandalorians, ca 3963 Before Battle of Yavin (BBY)
- Star Wars, Knights of the Old Republic Era - 3963 BBY
- During the Mandalorian Wars, right at the beginning of the intervention of Revan, Malak and his followers.
- Characters will be either Jedi or Republic soldiers fighting from about the time that the Revanchists see visions at Cathar and join the fight; a fight that has generally gone badly for the Republic.
- The RP will cover moral themes and the nature of the light side and the dark side of the force. Good, evil, right, wrong, abstract, realistic, idealistic, practical. Duality, decisions and consequences will all feature in this RP.
- Players will be collaborators in working the plot -- they will help run the NPC allies, the enemy and help shape the universe. It's a group storytelling effort here.
- Advanced Standards - That doesn't mean we have to write novels. A couple paragraphs satisfies the requirements and keeping it shorter can help move the plot along a little faster. Four-six paragraphs is probably a good sweet spot for many situations.
- Myself and five other players is a good number, in the past I've done RP's with too many people and folks that back out, I want to minimize that by having people ready to roll from the outset. If you want to play a character in this, please commit.
- Sorry, there is no first-come, first-serve for holding a spot.
- Google Docs will probably get a lot of use in this RP.
In Character Info
The Mandalorian Wars are going very badly for the Republic; the enemy is vast and skilled at warfare, marshaling their resources and driving in from the Outer Rim with unparalleled skill and ferocity. The Republic is tottering and frayed at the edges while one of its most potent institutions, the Jedi Order, abstains from engaging this threat to the Republic itself. The Masters, still remembering, perhaps reeling from, the lessons of the last war with the Sith, against the Jedi traitor Exar Kun, worry that a call to war would imperil the order's impartiality and discipline, something fostered in reforms that resulted from that last war.
Yet within the Order, there is a faction, mostly of younger, more idealistic Jedi, who maintain that they cannot simply sit by and watch the galaxy burn, that they must make a stand for the greater good and put a stop to the rampaging Mandalorian horde. These Jedi have a strong and compelling leader in the form of a man known as the Revanchist, or Revan, who argues persuasively for intervention to save the Republic. Yet the Masters hold the Order back, arguing for nonintervention in what they view as merely a political affair. They stand apart, while the Galaxy slips out of control.
After a group of Jedi visit the planet of Cathar, devastated years ago by the Mandalorians, they experience a vision of massacre and wanton slaughter, and of a woman that tried to argue against the Mandalorian slaughter, ordered by Cassus Fett, of the defeated and helpless Cathars. Revan dons this woman's helmet and vows to come to the aid of the Republic; many Jedi who were wavering commit, and the Masters relent in their neutrality and allow the Revanchists to enter the war as a "Mercy Corps" intended to provide battlefield support. Yet the young Jedi, so close to the fray, cannot help but commit once in it; for the sake of the Republic and innocent lives, they use the half-agreement of the Masters to enter the war...
Out of Character Info
The RP is about the fall of the Jedi under Revan, their experiences in the battles and the consequences of their choices. It is about wrestling with one's very soul and how the best of intentions often pave the path to Hell (or the Dark Side, in Star Wars.) The characters are likely to be younger Jedi Knights and Padawans; all fairly young. They have not experienced true warfare on this scale, nor do they realize how it is going to change them. Much like the youth in the autumn of 1914, the first year of World War I, they are in for a shock to their entire being, a life-altering event that will mark them for the rest of their days.
Of course, those of you who have played Knights of the Old Republic, 1&2, know what is in store. We'll try to avoid foreshadowing too much or giving away spoilers, but even if we know how the plot goes, we can roleplay out specifics.
Characters should be Jedi or Republic soldiers of varying races; I'm not entirely keen on the idea of droid characters, but if one can make a persuasive argument for having one, we'll see on a case by case basis -- odds are that such a character would be attached to another character.
Characters cannot be highly experienced Jedi Knights that know warfare on this scale beyond, say, a theoretical basis, rooted in military history. No Jedi Masters. I'd like to try to keep the feel of this being a new and traumatic experience for the characters, so I'm going to scrutinize things carefully; a character may be used to chasing around bounty hunters or the occasional chase in a starfighter, or smuggling or dealing with what the peacetime Jedi deal with, but nothing's going to prepare them for the scale of death and destruction that comes with a war of galactic-scale mass mobilization -- particularly as after the Exar Kun war, the Jedi Masters became more obsessed with staying out of galactic politics. Odds are they'd de-emphasize military theory studies and the like anyway and concentrate on a policing role. In short, the Jedi are inexperienced in logistics, command/staff work, small unit leadership/tactics and many of the other things that distinguish military conflict from a more limited use of force on the individual scale that Jedi would be familiar with. This,of course, is where non-Jedi come into play.
The RP will definitely start with events right after the visions on Cathar, when the Jedi are just joining; the Republic troops are probably skeptical and bitter about the Jedi stance on non-involvement up to this point. The story arc will probably end with the Battle of Malachor V, that being the final battle. For the sake of those who don't know the KOTOR games, let's not spoil things.
The characters will probably be leaders of small NPC units or independent operators, specialists, basically. The exact nature of how this works will be determined if the RP proceeds into OOC.