Name: Jaws O'Neil
Viable Ship Roles: Navigator
- Jaws is, like his name might suggest, a shark. Standing at a sturdy six feet with somewhat of a hunched posture, he's equal parts menacing and unapproachable. His skin is grayish-blue, and very rough, with some lighter color around his chest and stomach. He's got webbed hands and feet and a shark tail swaying out of some expertly-tailored pants. Jaws usually wears a blue and white-striped bandana over his hairless head, as well as a pair of suspenders and an open leather vest. He's pretty muscular, but obviously has a bit more of a swimmer's build.
- Reputation states that he was born of little more than a foul sea-witch's spell, the perfect specimen to cause havoc around crowded ports and for unsuspecting sailors. With the mind of a man and the ferocity of a shark, that would certainly be within his capabilities. But unfortunately, Jaws was born and grew up not with his toothy monicker.
In reality, he was once a normal boy, a son to one of the richest men in the grand port town of Bluepool, gem of an Isle called Laenos in the Lantik Sea. He grew up in the aristocracy, though cared little for the day-to-day affairs of the rich. Instead, the young boy was captivated by tales of the sea, sparked by a story he had heard from his dad, of a crew of cash-craving pirates that had sunken a fleet of O'Neil merchant vessels. With little else to do than spend his days in the family study, the young human Jaws read up on all things having to do with the sea. Books of legends, star charts, oceanic current diagrams, etc. He thirsted for the adventure that would never come to one of his status.
But fate works in odd ways. One dark night he was struck down by one of the most virulent diseases the local healers and apothecaries had ever seen. Contracted by an ill trip to the docks or by simple fickle genetics, none could say. His body began withering away, unable to fight the malady. No amount of O'Neil gold could buy their son more life. Or, so it seemed.
They enlisted the aid of a rather curious kind of doctor--a witch doctor. The old hag knew that she could cure their son, but for a price. Gold motivated her magic, and she cooked up a ghastly concoction in her cauldron. Seawater, boiled roots, a vial of shark's blood--the whole thing smelled of fish market runoff. It would only take full effect, she cackled, if ingested on the waves underneath the light of a full ocean moon. And so the family set out; in a small boat, as to not draw too much attention, and took a son, bundled up in heirloom blankets, far from the docks. The young Jaws ingested the foul potion, and then became his namesake. Upon instantly recovering, he was compelled to dive overboard as an accursed transformation wracked his body. The old hag vanished, and the family was forever changed.
....Of course, he'd never tell you any of this. All anyone needs to know is that Jaws has been bumming around islands and busy ports, and the occasional ship (merchant and pirate vessel alike) making his livelihood as little more than a hired hand. But it's all he really needs out of life, the freedom afforded by one tied down to nothing but his own will.
- Jaws is rude, blunt, and forever sarcastic. He marches to the beat of his own twisted drummer, and has little issue diving headfirst into a brawl. His strength and cunning make him an asset to a potential employer, and he usually makes good on a contract. Despite his brash attitude, there still lurks a bit of blue blood in his veins. He has a tendency to occasionally indulge in the finer things: wine, an expensive coat, maybe a dance here or there. He's just as likely to attack a good book as an overboard pirate.
- Mad swimming skills: Jaws is obviously a shark, so he's more than at home in the water! The gills and fins prove it.
- Navigation: He knows a LOT about the various constellations, oceans, and locales of the world, gleaned primarily through his childhood studies.
- Strength: Pretty darn physically strong, to boot! He can also wield a mean cutlass or other basic sword.
- Very highly-susceptible to magic attacks, and is especially weak to fire/ice magic and any sort of harsh temperature change. And lightning. Yikes!