I tried this forum out once over a year ago and it didn't work out like I'd hoped, but I'm going to try and give it a go again. So here's the skinny:
So I'm trying to find a few someones (4-5 max, character doubling will be necessary) interested in an intimate DC Universe/Batman/Gotham City roleplay. It'll focus less on camp and crazy world domination schemes and more on realism and interactive relationships between characters, particularly between Bruce/Batman/Bat family and the al Ghul family/League of Assassins. I don't have a plot nailed down just yet, just ideas, but am looking for people interested in trying to flesh them out with me. I haven't yet settled on a specific timeline but do want it to take place some general time after Batman & Son and The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul, though I'd like to ignore the majority of events that have taken place in The New 52 issues. Some plot points/canon attributes can be taken from Nolanverse storylines.
Current (abbreviated) plot points on the table:
- Lex Luthor is making an aggressive movement to relocate in Gotham.
- Lex Luthor and Talia al Ghul announce a somewhat unexpected engagement.
- Jason Todd is serving as occasional right hand to Talia, primarily focusing on vigilante work in Gotham and proving a thorn in the side of the Bat-family.
- Ra's al Ghul is in a weakened state and MIA after failing to possess Damian Wayne's body. He is traveling the world in search of a Lazarus Pit to revive himself, his son Dusan al Ghul is his caretaker. Possible involvement of Nyssa Raatko to retaliate towards Talia later in the story.
- After Ra's betrayed Talia and disappeared she overtook the League and shunned him, denying him access to his private Lazarus Pit should he return. She is now the head of the LoA as well as the primary beneficiary of most of Ra's al Ghul's fortune and resources after his apparent "death".
- Bruce/Batman is currently surveying Lex Luthor's appearance and business in Gotham.
- At Batman's request, Dick Grayson/Nightwing has returned to Gotham from Bludhaven to keep an eye on Damian Wayne on patrol, as the new Robin is still something of a loose cannon. Subsequently, Nightwing also ends up keeping tabs on the newly returned and also problematic Jason Todd. Stephanie Brown/Batgirl will also serve as a co-mentor and surveyor with Nightwing.
- Select villains who care to notice are all abuzz about Lex Luthor taking up real estate in Gotham, Bane is interested and highly skeptical of his engagement to Talia al Ghul.
*The only characters I'm absolutely married to playing are Talia al Ghul and (maybe) Stephanie Brown/Spoiler/Batgirl. Below I've listed the characters I'd like involved with this roleplay.
Characters that require player analysis/discussion/application: Bruce Wayne/Batman, The Joker, Selina Kyle/Catwoman, Lex Luthor
Focal characters I'm looking for people interested in playing: Damian Wayne, Ra's al Ghul, Jason Todd (no longer taking apps), Tim Drake, Dick Grayson, Bane, Barbara Gordon/Oracle
Non-Focal characters: Nyssa Raatko, Dusan al Ghul/White Ghost, Almost the entire Rogues Gallery, any Gotham mafia members (Maroni/Falcone)
Characters and information listed here: http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_Rogues_Gallery
I'm willing to take into consideration any characters/plots/subplots (including OCs) and their story relevance will be determined after detailed discussion. Applications/Character Sheets are necessary for all characters, as well as writing samples.
Some bullet points worth noting (about my personal style and what I typically expect from partners):
- I have a personal post minimum of three to four paragraphs (usually exceeding that, assuming I have information to work with), and I expect the same amount of effort from my partner. I don't mean to sound like an elitist snob, I just don't care to spend the time and thought to write out detail when all I get in response is a single line of text.
- I can write in third or first person, but sometimes prefer first depending on the character/story. Personally, I like a similar flow in the story with both characters, meaning if one character is in first person I prefer the other to be as well. This is not a requirement and I can still write it with both, just a preference. Please let me know ahead of time if you have a preference as well.
- I like reality, intrigue, and tension in my writing. I'm also very descriptive of emotions and thoughts (even to the point of rambling, if it's true to character personality). For this reason, I can spend a whole paragraph, or even two, just writing what is going on in my character's mind. Just a fair warning.
- I'm completely open to ideas. I like to collaborate, it's a big part of why I roleplay. I know I could write by myself and everything could go as I planned it and be nice and neat but I like not knowing when the next surprise is coming. That said, feel free to spring things on me, but please do not take hold of the wheel and steer the story completely off plot. If you have an idea to weave into a story or make into a subplot just run it by me, I'm sure we can plan it out accordingly.
- In an active storyline I do introduce characters to further the story. I think it makes the story considerably more interesting if those supporting characters are given background to make them more believable. One thing I like to do is play each others' supporting characters. Say, a friend or sibling of my partner's main character, separate of my own, for scenes when the main characters may not be around one another.
- I can do basic combat, but I'm not a huge fan of drawn out fight scenes. If I have to reread something several times just to visualize the scene and what is happening in order to respond then I will probably lose interest quickly. So long as the movements described are concise and allow for a realistic reaction I'm open to it when necessary.
- Lastly, I don't think it's a surprise at this point, or too much to ask, that my partner(s) have a working knowledge of basic grammar and spelling. I'm sorry to say that I'm somewhat of a grammar nazi, even outside of writing. There exist such tools as spell check and Google, all I ask is that they be utilized.
As you can probably see just from what I've written already, I can be a tad wordy. Please don't mistake my bluntness for bitchy elitism or stiff sobriety, I really am a nice, social person
Here is the character sheet format (asterisks* indication optional information, no cartoon/anime photos):
Daughter of the Demon
(a descriptive/introductory phrase)
...When man meets a force he cannot destroy he destroys himself instead...*
(a quote your character has said or would say)
Name: Talia al Ghul
Notable Aliases: Talia Head, Daughter of the Demon, Miranda Tate (or Alter Egos)
General Age: Mid to late 30's (hard to tell with most comic book characters, just give a general estimate)
Eye Color: Hazel
Hair Color: Black
Ethnicity: Middle Eastern/Asian *
Marital Status: Single. Divorced.*
Affiliates: Ra's al Ghul, League of Assassins, LexCorp, Bruce Wayne/Batman*
Occupation: Trained assassin, intelligence agent, combatant, and second hand to Ra's in the LoA
Relatives: Ra's al Ghul [Father], Melisande [Mother - deceased], Dusan al Ghul [Brother], Nyssa Raatko [Half-Sister], Bruce Wayne [Ex-Husband], Damian Wayne [Son]*
Mentality: Loyal, tenacious, alluring, deceptive, distant, perfectionist. (Nothing lengthy, just a few adjectives, include shortcomings)
Abilities & Resources: Agility, longevity/immortality, stamina/physically fit, stealth/espionage, marksmanship, unarmed combat, weapons master, advanced intellect, leadership. Wealth and access to advanced technology as well as the Lazarus Pit.
Brief Biography: Raised within the League of Assassins from a young age, Talia is known for her unfailing loyalty to her father, Ra's, and perfectionist spirit. Characteristics which have, more oft than not, forced her to make unfavorable decisions. Although a member of her father’s criminal empire, and one of his closest advisers, Talia is not as convinced of the goals of his enterprise as he is. One of the reasons for her doubt was her father's indication that she should choose Batman as a mate. Batman actually had a calming influence on her, and led to a less radical path than her father. Since then she has done other altruistic actions such as coming to Batman’s aid on several accounts, or aiding in the resurrection of Jason Todd. She has also shown a degree of loyalty to her son which is apparently stronger than any other loyalty she has.
Despite Bruce’s refusal of her romantic advances, the two do share an attraction to one another (she often refers to him as "beloved"). The most obvious example of this is the consummation of their love in the form of Damian.
Expanded Biography: http://www.comicvine.com/talia-al-ghul/4005-4917/ *
ALL CHARACTERS ARE SUBJECT TO APPROVAL.
I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO GIVE CHARACTERS TO THE PLAYER I FEEL WILL BEST REPRESENT THEM IN THIS STORYLINE.
Writing samples and character sheets can be sent via PMs and will have a pending status until officially approved. Once approved, character sheets will be posted in a separate thread (likely an OOC and development thread). If interested, please PM me.