This thread exists so that you, the participants of WOTM, can vote for what theme you'd like us, the WOTM staff, to use next contest. This way, we can only use themes that please as many WOTM participants as possible. The poll is multi-choice, so if you like more than one theme, you're welcome to say so. Also, themes that do not win this vote will likely be given another chance in future polls.
Theme: Detective Story
Explained: A story about a detective solving a crime or mystery.
- The story is told in fully traditional style of a detective searching for clues and using their logic and knowledge to piece them all together to solve a crime/mystery.
- The "detective" is not in fact a professional detective of any kind, but they play the part of one anyway.
- The protagonist of the story is not the detective.
- The story does not involve a crime.
- The story is not set in the modern day.
Explained: A story about an apocalypse.
- The protagonist is or attempts to be a leader of a large group of some kind (ie: survivors, soldiers, refugees, etc).
- The story tells of the aftermath and/or survivors of an apocalypse.
- The story tells of a perceived apocalypse of the past, such as the extinction of the dinosaurs or the near eradication of Native Americans.
- The method of apocalypse is a common media trope such as a zombie outbreak or an alien invasion.
- The apocalypse is somehow averted.
- The entry is written in journal/diary entry format.
Theme: Fairy Tale
Explained: Write a story based on a fairy tale.
- The story takes place in a modern setting.
- The story is told from the perspective of the traditional villain of the fairy tale.
- The story is written as though someone is telling the story to a child.
- The story uses elements from two or more fairy tales.
- The story provides an alternate ending to an existing fairy tale.
This thread will be left open, and for good reason! Please don't hesitate to comment on the themes themselves or general setup of this WOTM feature.
Banner by Rose Swan.