Marcantonio "Marco" Basso
Place of Birth:
: Full-Patch, as of three months ago.
Marco isn't some short Jersey Italian like Joe Pesci, he's a tall dude, 6'5 or so, and he is muscular, though he isn't bulky, but lithe. He is also a tattoo fanatic and is a constant patron of the local tattoo shop (we can work the name out later.) His typical mode of clothing is a pair of jeans, a sturdy ass belt and heavy, heavy boots, whatever shirt he picked off the top of his pile and he keeps his cut down to a durable leather vest. In short, he doesn't fuck around much with clothes. He keeps his hair short, but prefers a beard, and is usually sporting a headband of some sort over his forehead. When riding, he prefers a skullcap-style helmet.
Silverio Marcantonio Basso was born in Philadelphia, PA to a made guy in the Cremonisi crime family. His father, John Basso, was eventually made an underboss soon thereafter (and eventually rose to consiglieri.)
After his mother's death at the age of ten, Marco's family life was constantly disrupted and stormy, as he became withdrawn and sullen and his father remarried and started a new family. Despite being a varsity hockey player in high school, Marco was constantly getting into trouble at home and had significant issues with grades, though also, his father seemed to expect, in a lace-curtain way, that Marco be a respectable, well disciplined kid. Marco wasn't much like that -- the only subject he liked in school was shop and he had discipline problems. After being caught in school holding, being ratted out by another kid was the last straw. Finally, Marco was sent off to a school called "Harmony Beach" in Jamaica, part of a Utah-run company that specialized in so-called 'tough love' discipline. What it translated to was Marco spending hours in flex cuffs and stress positions, while being supervised by local hired help with no credentials and ego trips, who were supposed to provide 'therapy.'
When he turned 18, he had a choice of continuing the program or being dumped off in the US with about eighty bucks, and despite the attempts of the staff to dissuade him from doing so (and pissing off his father) he was adamant. The day after he was landed in Miami, he was on his way to Parris Island, SC, having enlisted in the Marine Corps.
While in the Marine Corps, he requested and received an MOS assignment of 3521, a motor pool mechanic, but he also saw action in the Second Battle of Fallujah. He saw some combat, particularly as he was a part of a vehicle recovery operations unit that came under considerable insurgent fire. While in Iraq, he started playing with bikes, under the supervision his Gunny, who was a biking enthusiast -- they'd picked up a couple and started working on them, and that was his introduction into biking. By 2008, a year of relative calm stateside, he bought his first bike.
After his first enlistment was up in 2009, he went to school using his GI money to give himself some credentials and then started working in a variety of body shops, primarily on the West Coast, away from Philly and any contact with his family. While working in "Rustoration" in Tuscon, he became known in the biking community particularly for his custom paint work and impeccably repaired and restored bikes. The Unshriven were impressed with his credentials and his attitude, and quickly determined that he had the right attitude to be offered a place in the Club as a prospect.
During his time as a prospect, he shut the hell up, did what he was told and handled his business, enduring various forms of pranks and insults and bitch work and occasionally putting himself in danger. He was pinched once while acting as a lookout for a stolen goods deal with the police but didn't say anything and let the other patch members escape unharmed. He refused to be rolled and they had to let him go. After that particular instance, near the end of his probation, he was given a unanimous (the only way in) vote and was inducted as a full-patch in the Unshriven.
Marco doesn't like to talk about the past, his fucked up childhood, his time in the Corps, any of it. He's fiercely loyal to the club precisely because he had such a fucked up childhood in a very Orwellian environment; the camp encouraged kids to rat on each other and not to trust one another, and bonds were had to come by. The Club, therefore, provides some of the only stability he's ever known in his life, and he's latched on and put down roots. These are his brothers, this is his family, and while he was never actually exposed to that Mafiosi shit, he understands the concept of 'Omerta.' He would deny he is anything like his father, but he's a good soldier for the club the way he might have been for the Cremonisi Family if things had worked out differently. There is a vibe of familiarity of the club to the life he knew in childhood just lurking under the surface which is what drew him there.
But for all that, he likes to grin and joke. He likes to eat, drink and laugh. Given his druthers, he keeps it simple and goes happy go lucky, almost dopey, and that makes some people outside the club think that Marco is a big softie or a sucker. In a bit of a twist, he enjoys playing along with that. He likes the feeling of pride in a good sweat and hard work, and is almost grateful to get work on someone else's bike or car, it gives him a feeling of purpose and accomplishment, it lets him get lost in the work.
- Marco served in the Marine Corps, which meant that he qualified as an 0311, Marine Rifleman, above all.
- Mechanic; skilled in all sorts of repairs as well as tow truck operation
- He is an especially gifted painter and artist when it comes to paintjobs.
- Learning Spanish.
- Rough and tough; he played hockey in high school prior to being sent 'to the school.' He knows how to take a hit and can hit back, and has some brawling and hand to hand training through the Marines.
- Learning about meth cooking, just in case.
- 1979 Harley Ironhead Sportster
- 1998 Honda Valkyrie - First bike, first love, bought used from another Marine.
- Colt 1911A1 with about 42 rounds of ammunition - Kept at home
- A totally illegal AKM. This is buried with about 600 rounds of ammo stored in the same double-ring-sealed container.
- A Remington 870, which is far more legal to own anyway.
- A Ka-Bar; it's rugged, durable, fairly cheap and its good and sharp. You can't ask for a better knife in most cases.
- Ruger LCR, .357 - Typical concealed piece, but there are a bunch of them that he might use. This just happens to be his current. It's a throwaway.
- A couple pre-paids cell-phones -- he'll use these and break them and dispose of them to avoid having his calls tracked. He's got a hard and fast rule on that.
- An Android phone that Colleen got for him that he mostly uses for calls and text and for music. Otherwise, he's indifferent to it.
- He stays at Alex's most of the time, but he has a bedroll on his bike just in case he's kicked out. But usually, he can make it back to the clubhouse and hunker down for a couple days until she's pissed that he's not calling.
- The club owns a garage, and Marco works there.
- Marco has taken the point on establishing new lines into the colleges for adderall, xanax and other script drugs into the colleges. It's a lucrative deal. He buys off people with prescriptions in various places (or the occasional bent pharmacist) that generally aren't using as much as they have been over-prescribed and get it at a cheap insurance-subsidized rate and then hauls it down to Tucson. His primary distributor is an ex-girlfriend by the name of Christine Suarez, who is a graduate student at the University of Arizona that got into this business in an attempt to pay her bills. Christine handles the sales distribution, primarily through other hard up grad students, who tend to make a very calm and easily managed group of criminals, though Marco has had to step in a few times when Christine's payment troubles with the Phi Kappa Epsilon fraternity occurred; payment was prompt after one kid found himself getting fucked up by Marco. There was an arrest, but the Club's lawyer (we might need a name here) demonstrated that Marco was attacked first (true, actually -- this was one dumb frat boy) and he was let off. After that, everyone that did business with Christine realized that she had real protection and payment trouble stopped. Marco has been running this sideline for a while, even before prospecting with the club, and while there were doubts at first, the club got behind this. Christine Hagen also is good at picking up 'talent' for other ventures the club has when they fall behind on payments and go 'on a plan.' (Perhaps if they're doing prostitution or porn, right?) Now the club wants to expand this operation into San Diego and Vegas, if possible, but has reached a bottleneck on the 'more pills' front. In all, this operation provides something like 40K/yr in income, which isn't a bad baseline, but he's looking to start buying the shit in wholesale; ideally, fake scripts.
Marco has been arrested, fined and so forth, mostly simple assault stuff relating to his work in the Tuscon area with the pill sales. All the same, the pills thing could become complicated for a variety of reasons.
His dad is looking for him, it could come up in the future. His father always had this expectation that family was meant to be some Leave it to Beaver shit, and that's why he stuck Marco in that kid gulag. The thing is, Marco sees it as the ultimate betrayal -- they haven't said a word since he went into the Corps, and those words were, "Go fuck yourself." If his dad came looking, it'd be a little late.
The FBI might feel they could use Marco as leverage against John Basso, or even use the old man as leverage against Marco. In the latter case, the Feds would be shocked at Marco's completely unfazed response. He has a half-brother and half-sister that he has not seen since they were toddlers. He doesn't even think about them, but they could turn up. He might be inclined to help them out of their shit, but he's not sure about it. (Plot hook: Sister has trouble, freshman year.)
He also has a relationship with Alex and that shit sometimes spills over; it's the sort of thing where they're usually fighting and that can put him in a shitty mood. He doesn't do nearly as much cocaine as she does -- he'll take a snort when partying, but he seems to be one of those guys that can snort coke and let it go afterward.
Also, Marco occasionally talks about heading up to company headquarters, where the guy that ran his old disciplinary school lives, in Utah, and fucking up the guy that ran the school, a devout Mormon with a high school education that calls himself a 'therapist' based on extensive experience as a gas station attendant prior to his career in running a kid gulag. The company that ran the school, and several others, is under litigation of all sorts but it seems like the guy is getting away with it. Marco figures that maybe fucking the guy up would bring closure.
Relationships and Acquaintances:
- Alex Cooper - Argumentative relationship, but Marco's still living with her, when he's not being kicked out for some reason. Alex is having a lot of drug problems and they both have a lot of shit in their past, but that all goes out the window when the clothes hit the bedroom floor. Sex isn't a very good basis for a long term relationship, but neither of them are thinking terribly long term. The fact that Marco is in business with Christina Suarez (and business is damned good) and the fact that Marco can't not smile at other women means that Alex and he are almost always going to have a problem. Of course, she seems to want Old Lady treatment without Old Lady status, which complicates Marco's life. One of the guys programmed a 'whipcrack' ringtone in his phone as a prank one night.
- Norm Stepanksi - Norm is the road captain, an officer in the Club, and that means that when he speaks, Marco listens. Marco tends to know his place as one of the newest patch members, and because of that, he and Norm tend to get along just dandy. It doesn't hurt that Sheila is like almost every other woman in the MC (with the sometime exception of Alex) and seems to have taken a shine to Marco, who really does see the MC as a family, and that means taking care of the women.
- Colleen Garret - Colleen's bar is a great place to pick up people that have scripts and pills to sell, so he has a hand-in-fist relationship with her and kicks something back to her for the effort. He's aware that she's fast to anger, but Marco's a no-bullshit, low-key sort of guy, unless there's trouble. It is also very understood in her bar that Marco will come and fuck anyone up that screws around, as he's usually there a lot of nights and he's generally a nice, easy-going guy until it's time for someone to leave. For an Unshriven, he's actually a nice guy -- the first time he tells someone something, he smiles and is polite. The second time, he's direct with the warning. The third time, the guy finds himself in some serious shit.
- Eddie Garret - Eddie's dad was a 1%'er and his mom is totally in the life, but Marco tries to keep Eddie out of the bad shit, even though the kid wants to work in the garage, mostly because Colleen seems desperate to turn the kid into an engineer. So Marco is usually the one that winds up having the patience to deal with the kid for hours at a time. But the kid seems to be into bikes, and is learning fast, so Marco has him under his wing, though technically kids are only supposed to work some of the time. He's cut a deal with the kid -- get the grades and he can stay working in the shop with Marco. So far, Eddie seems to be holding up that deal.
- Christina Suarez(NPC) - An ex-girlfriend of Marco's that is now his partner in the drug business. The romance fizzled out some time ago, though the business arrangement stayed. Christina is usually fairly stable, being that she's a grad student in aeronautic engineering, and is working on some NASA-related stuff in UA. There will come a time when Christina graduates and potentially leaves for another NASA project after graduation, but for now the deal is in place. If Christina does leave, he needs to find a new distributor.
- Bernard "Saint" Cooper (NPC) - Alex’s Father, who was President of the Unshriven MC until his arrest in 2007. Saint knows that Marco is banging his daughter and taking care of her, at least when he's not being kept in the doghouse for some reason, but he has only met the guy a couple of times in prison visits. By the same token, Marco has made sure that Alex's drug business functions smoothly on the collections end -- a few guys tried not to pay her because Saint was in the pen, and Marco stepped right in and fucked them up to send a message to every other dumb cokehead. He didn't even take a cut of the action like he was entitled. A little respect goes a long way, and Saint likes to refer to Marco as "My greasy Jersey guido kneecracker." It's a compliment.
- Remmington "Remi" Cooper (NPC) - Alex’s Brother, and also a brother in the MC. Remi has been drifting away from the Club and there's a bit of coldness between Marco and Remi that is probably a result of his relationship with Alex. Marco tries to be the guy that defuses the situation, so not much has come out of it.
- Sheila Vescovi (NPC) - is Norm's girlfriend and works in Brick Mother's. The relationship with Sheila is different from that with Colleen largely because Sheila is one of Alex's confidantes. While she is very covertly on Marco's side, having seem him keep it all business with all manner of women that hit on him in the bar, Marco also knows that anything he says in her hearing makes it back to Alex. Sometimes, that works out, but generally, he just minds himself. Of course, he also makes sure that every patron that walks in Brick Mother's knows that Sheila's job is to serve food and drinks, not to be felt up by horny assholes. In particular, as a prospect he tore through a young Marine Lance Corporal that got too touchy feely, which landed them both in a holding cell for the night.