THE PORTWOOD INSTITUTE FOR TALENTED YOUTHS
AN INTEREST CHECK
After looking around the forum, I found very few "superpower school" roleplays outside of the Free Roleplay section; of those I did stumble upon, even less were well-made. Unfortunately, the genre is one that has been tainted in recent times; plagued by cliché plotlines and Mary Sue characters, seemingly destined to fizzle out within the first two weeks. However, I feel that, with the right cast, this kind of roleplay can be really rewarding to everyone involved.
I am ARTPOP. I am a passionate and experienced GM with a wealth of creativity and a drive to provide the best roleplay I can to my players; in fact, I enjoy setting up opportunities, challenges and even some unexpected twists for your characters to overcome, even more than I enjoy playing myself. I'm looking for a group of dedicated and talented roleplayers who can bring their own creativity and enthusiasm to the roleplay, but also for a group of genuinely likeable people to befriend along the way.
I hope you are interested by what I have to offer.
A BRIEF SUMMARY
You will play a young person with an extraordinary gift for which the world seems to hate you. After being contacted by the mysterious Professor Portwood, a non-gifted man with empathy for people in your situation, you are invited to attend his private academy: the Portwood Institute for Talented Youths, fittingly known as PITY. Disguised as merely an academy for high-performing individuals, the institute offers a safehaven for people like you; free from the hatred and prejudice of the outside world. Here, Portwood's excellent team of staff are committed to teaching you how to control and hone your gift, so that you may not only hide it, but also use it to your advantage in every day life. Along with these specialist classes, students will be taught subjects according to the National Curriculum and sit exams like any other school in the country, so as to maximise employment and the chance of living a normal life.
However, no matter how strong a sanctuary the institute proves to be, the world outside its walls is still an unkind and hostile place. The public and the Government alike seem to share a common fear of the gifted, or 'mutants', as the outside world calls them... among other, even less pleasant names. Gifted individuals will randomly disappear from the streets, never to be seen again. Some theorise that they were murdered by their neighbours, scared of having "one of them" in their area. Others conspire that they were captured by Government agents and subjected to sick experiments. There are even rumours of an extremist anti-mutant organisation known as Humans Against Mutants, or HAM for short, that boast specialist, high-tech equipment built solely for the extermination of gifted individuals. Or perhaps they just went into hiding, desperate to escape the threat of everyday life.
Whatever the answer, it is obvious that the secrecy of the institute is of paramount importance to the safety of its residents. Furthermore, is the nature of the institute the only secret bound within its walls? Or are there deeper enigmas that even the staff themselves are oblivious to? After all, if you have to keep something secret, it's because you shouldn't be doing it in the first place...
The only question is: just how long can this secret stay secret?
- The institute is located in America, in a secluded area in Boston, Massachusetts.
- The year is 2013. Mutants are often blamed for global crises (such as chemical weaponry in Syria).
- The world is identical to our own - Obama is the president, we are in a recession etc.
- Technology is generally identical to our own, however that owned by HAM may be advanced.
- A map of the institute and its grounds will be included in the OOC.
- The institute is close enough for students to visit the city incognito.
- Can be male, female or otherwise.
- Can be of any ethnicity and from any country.
- Can be aged 13-19.
- Can be of any sexual orientation.
- Can possess one 'power' each, from which all 'abilities' stem.
- Should be unique and interesting - avoid clichés.
- Will live on-campus in shared dormitories.
- Were born with their powers, though the gene is not hereditary.
- Players may command strictly one character per person.
- Players are expected to post actively and frequently - minimum 2 posts per week.
- Players are encouraged to share ideas for the roleplay with ARTPOP by private message.
- Players are encouraged to raise any other concerns or questions in the OOC thread.
- Players are obliged to take any disagreement out of the OOC thread.
- This is a mature roleplay - graphic violence, taboo language and sexual content is allowed.
- Players are obliged to always enforce roleplay etiquette - strictly no godmodding, metagamingetc.
- Players are obliged to agree with and follow ARTPOP's rules, as well as the rules of the site.
If I happen to have missed any information from this post, please feel free to ask in this thread. I will then do my best to provide you with the relevant information, as well as adding it to the post for everyone else and creating a compiled list of Q&As.
Otherwise, I would be delighted if you would register your interest below. Please remember that this thread is an interest check only; a character sheet skeleton will be released along with the OOC.
The following players have shown an interest in the roleplay:
- Card Captor
- Makatsume Haru
- Wicker Promise
- Teen Idle
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST,