Ariestos twil Czaysor
The world is run by Witches. The rebellion against the Witches failed and they retaliated by exterminating 50% of the human population, which was more than 200 million people, in an instant. That was 20 years ago. People have picked themselves up, started their lives again, and lived under the collared rule of the Witches. Your lives are harsh and you live in threat of the Witches’ fickle wrath at any moment. They are cruel and uncaring of your lives and you know this. Never have they cared, nor will they ever.
But, what are you to do?
The rebellion failed. All human effort pitted against the Witches crashed and burned resulting in a worse, harsher, harder life for you and your people. Do you feel hopeless? Do you hate yourself? Do you regret the mistakes of the past? Can you taste your mortality? Probably. However, even in this horrible time hope still burns. It burns brightly in the fervorous hearts of the proud and the brave. There is still a chance. A moment where that small little flame will become a savage, raging firestorm.
This war is not over.
There is always talk, but everyone hears about talk of liberating the Black Empire. Whispers of a rebellion against the Broken Witch. The entire Black Empire stirs with restless and excitable ears. Even in their loss against the Witches and the potential of retaliation they still feel hope. You and all your kin have not lost just yet.
Unbeknownst to you, a force has been awakened and readies up that uplifting wind that will guide the fire, building the blaze. You don’t know it yet, but there is a fuel that will be added to the nearly extinguished ember. Something is starting up that will change this world in such an unbelievable way.
Do you believe it? If you are ready for what is to come, whatever that may be, will you then fight? Who will you fight for? Will you fight for favor of the Witches? For the freedom of your people? Maybe you would fight for the right to call the world your own? Just know that everything in your life is about to be turned upside down and, as your daily life starts to wear on your tired body you will be forced to move. Move faster than you have ever moved before.
The Firestorm is coming and it will burn everything.
”Welcome to the world of Ariestos twil Czaysor, simply known by the inhabitants as Ariestos. It is a world that has a long, harsh history and violent, horrific bloody wars. But, lets not go into the nasty stuff just yet. Oh no. I have so many wonderful things to tell you about my beautiful, incredible homeland.”
”About 900 years ago this world was called Vebrant and it was duly named. It was a world of incredible, botanical and industrial garden. There were enormous forests full of so many different sorts of life, from creature to treekin; it was a world full of tranquil diversity. Everyone was so happy. I remember those days. Those lofty years I spent tending to my crafts and enjoying the conversations with my friends. It was paradise. People were free and able to make their own decisions. No one was ever hungry or had to struggle to survive. We all helped each other. We relied on each other. Our lives were safe and secure. The woods could sometimes be scary, sure, but there was nothing that was too bad. It was the sort of place where you could be who you were and become whatever you wanted. It was the sort of place where your happiness was your goal. I really, really miss it. Alright. I know. I have to tell you. I have to tell you about Ariestos.”
”Magic. It was a rare and almost mythical force. Sometimes things happened without reason, sure, but we always assumed there was some sort of explanation that was just beyond our grasp at the moment. We always relied on our technology and our logic and our reasons for everything. It was how we could calmly take the unexplained lightly. We always thought: ‘With a little research, time and patience we will understand it’, but we were wrong. We were so wrong. Magic does exist. Had we known...Had we only seen it coming...We could have stopped Ariestos twil Czaysor.
He destroyed our world. He burned it to the ground with his magic. Our entire civilization...Our way of life was all razed by his incredible might. Our weapons, our homes, even our nations were all completely devoured by his wicked powers. Even when we managed to establish a force to fight him with he defeated all of us. There was no possible way to stand against his might. He killed so many...So many of my friends, family and...Even my precious daughter Elza. Ariestos twil Czaysor was a mear mortal, a young human boy, that was born with magic. I don’t quite know his upbringing, but I do know that he held the might, all on his own, to destroy countries by himself. Magic ended us. It completely and assuredly ended us.”
”He ruled over us. He controlled us and commanded us. I watched my friends fade away from age and slavery. He destroyed our cities and demanded we rebuild in his own likeness. Technology became forbidden and there was no higher authority other than his own. He completely governed the entire planet, all on his own. My people, my beloved people, endured hardships they were completely unprepared for. Hunger, the cold, the heat, poverty, sickness...There was so much pain in our world. So much agonizing misery that...Quite honestly my heart aches to speak of it. So I will tell you what happened. It happened 22 years after Ariestos’ ascension.”
”Another witch was born. Her name was Undust the Wyvern. She was raised in secret, in attempt to create a weapon to combat Ariestos with, however he eventually found out. He sought to destroy her, however, at the young age of 8, she destroyed him. We thought we were all free. That this nightmare was over, but it wasn’t. Undust, at the young age of 8, replaced Ariestos as the supreme sovereign of all the land. None could question her might. We thought that maybe we could outlast her. That maybe, just maybe, this would all settle itself out. Undust ruled the entirety of Ariestos for 358 years unchallenged.”
”Witches did not die of old age.
Witches could not be killed with weapons or elements.
Witches could not be poisoned.
Witches did not sleep.”
”Many started to lose track of what our world used to be. What Vebrant used to be like. They just adjusted and lived under the tyranny of ‘Undust the Unjust’. People became used to this life. This life of living under the beck and call of an almighty force that they had no place to question. Our happiness was replaced with pain and servitude and all our hopes died and withered. We were a helpless people. I don’t know how many times I cried and prayed for salvation...It never would come. Not for many ages more.”
”During Undust’s time, another 2 witches came to light. Kind Meriella and Pheoraye. Undust was successful in recruiting these witches under her and taught them the art of being tyrants. They were exceptionally cruel. Kind Meriella was the worst of them all. She enjoyed torturing children and burning down villages. Pheoraye was exceptionally paranoid. She was vigilant for technology and rebellion and her existence alone created enough fear to keep most in check. They were an alignment of powerful, wicked evil. Unfortunately, they were both too evil for even Undust.”
”The three witches caught wind of a fourth witch being born and they fought over who would tutor her. Eventually, this fight became a struggle for independence and a declaration of war. The three built up armies, using humans as their shields, and fought tirelessly for 20 years. Those were truly hellish times. The suffering that man endured during those times...It is indescribable. I cannot even begin to explain to you what it was like. It was...Beyond reality. The pain was so strong that I felt that it transcended space and time. The fourth witch, Fatima, was the one that ended the Witch Wars.”
”I don’t entirely remember what happened immediately after the wars. Sorry about this, I am a little old you see. I am pretty sure that Fatima managed to bring the 3 witches together, for a time, and they obeyed their elder, Undust. It was until Undust found herself obsessing over a mortal...He…What was his name? Durada? No. It was Dermayos? Sorry. The name eludes me. However, this man was a strong man. A man that never wavered. He held a will that exceeded all humans before him. She met him during the Witch Wars. He was her general. He was as handsome as he was strong and his gift attracted her beside his unbreakable strength.”
”The two, in secret, conspired. It was, as stated by Undust, forbidden to ever fraternize with humans. However, she broke her own rule and found herself with a child. Undust concealed her pregnancy as best she could, but when Meriella and Pheoraye found out it was war all over again. They killed that man and Undust’s forces were left scrambled, however she maintained. Even with her belly enlarged and her heart shattered she still commanded the greatest experience in combat.”
”When it was time for Undust to give birth she had Fatmia with her. Fatima, looking into the eyes of that child, knew she was blessed with magic. That young girl would be the first and only child born half witch and half human. None of the other witches held the power to have children. Fatima took that child and sacrificed all her magic to seal her away in a forest. Fatima would die by the hands of Meriella and Undust would die to Pheoraye.”
”It would be another 500 years before the witches would be ever challenged again. In that time only two witches were born, but Meriella and Pheoraye were always careful with them. They established territory. Pheoraye commanded the South, Meriella commanded the North, Verdoux, the third witch, rules over the East and Semenai, the fourth witch, rules over the West. The world was divided into nations, which hadn’t happened for centuries, with the ruling witches commanding their territories however they decided. It wouldn’t be until 483 years after the death of Undust that the humans would, finally reaching their breaking point, decide to fight back again.”
”The Second Witch Wars was one in which, for the first time in our world’s history, a witch did not head. It was the humans vs. the witches and the humans had a fighting chance. Their rebellion was one that was of gore and sacrifice. The witches, having lost many of their human puppets to use in war, created many magical creatures and dark weapons to keep up with the human strength. The witches would win, once again, and this time the consequences would be severe.”
”As punishment for their rebellion, the humans were stripped of 50% of the population. That was 225 Million individuals that were erased from the world, Meriella did not make light of this action either. The remaining 225 million would be forced to wear collars the moment they become adults that would render them the slaves of the witches and many of the witch’s devices.”
”That was 17 years ago. The human rebellion was smashed and a lot of hope was crushed with it, but there are still many that hold an unnatural fire in their eyes. A superior strength within them that wishes for nothing more than to be rid of all this tyranny. The desire to be free. Old myths of a time before Witches keep children growing up hungry for freedom. It is this hope that refuses to yield to the witches. Even as they are shackled and restrained, this hope endures. I know that this hope will find its way to one day finally saving all of our world. I know it will happen. I know that, one day, there will come a time when this entire world will be free from all the pain and misery and all the heartache. The loss of half the population was only 17 years ago. It has greatly broken the strength of men, but it also gives them an unrelenting hatred of the witches. A hatred that will, someday, guide them to their eventual victory.”
”I’ve told you. I told you it wasn’t pleasant. It shames me to have to explain all this to you. Really, it makes my beloved world sound dark and tragic. Truly, it is, however it is not a side that I enjoy presenting. Even in darkness there is an ever brilliant flame that burns away, consuming the shadows. I believe strongly in this. No matter how hard my people have been pushed or dragged, they are still here. They are living their lives. They may not believe things will be better now, or even later, but there is a possibility of a distant tomorrow. They know this. I know this. You should know this too. Don’t you see it? See that small little ember? See it smoldering in distant, long washed ashes. However, that little ember survived being doused by water and ran over by rain. It survived thanks to the heat of it’s long since extinguished kin and burns on, just barely, with a noticeable brilliance. With the right amount of energy it could become an enormous firestorm. I will never lose hope in my people. So long as they live I know their courage will find a way to manifest itself.”
”It’s time to go,”
”Ah, my apologies. I am being summoned. I wish you luck in all your endeavors. I wish that you, strong hearted one, are one of the few that can make it through all these troubles. That you are the one that finally destroys these horrific chains that have bound you for centuries. I have faith that the time is coming. I haven’t felt anything like this in a long time. Not since the humans rose up and declared their rebellion. No. I know that this era is not over. The Second Witch War is not over yet. Please...Fight. You must fight. I know that you have the strength and the power to do it. All you need is your will. Hold onto hope, endure the gnawing pain of resistance, and fight. Fight for yourself, your people, and your futures. I know that you can do it. No matter how bleak this small little ember may seem it is fire nonetheless.”
”I know you can do it. You all are my hope, afterall.”
- This world is Vebrant. It was once a beautiful, peaceful place. Everyone was happy, safe, and comfortable with their lives.
- 900 years ago a single individual, born with the magic to destroy entire nations, was born. He eradicated all order and wiped out all countries. He decided to have them all rebuilt, in his image, thus remaining the world after himself: Ariestos twil Czaysor, simply known by the inhabitants as Ariestos. This is known as year 0 AtC.
- He ruled for 22 years before he was murdered by another born with magic. A small 8 year old girl named Undust, later to be titled Undust the Wyvern. [22 AtC]
- Undust decided to claim the world for herself, so she did. She ruled the planet in the same ruthless manner as Ariestos for 358 years. She made many people suffer and ruined so many lives. [22 AtC - 358 AtC ~Undust Era]
- During Undust’s rule two additional witches came to light. They were Kind Meriella [108 AtC] and Pheoraye [220 AtC]. They served under Undust and she trained them how to use their magic.
- When a fourth witch was born tension spread between the three witches which would build until they would disband and declare war upon the other. [359 AtC]
- The first Witch War scorched the planet. There are various permanent scars to the world from this war between Witches. This was the birth of Biotics [364 AtC] and the height of human strength. [359 AtC - 379 AtC ~Black and White Era]
- The fourth witch, Fatima, managed to stop the war and convince the Witches to come together again. This gave Fatima the title Fatima the White. Despite her name, Fatima was the one to seal Biotics within humans. [380 AtC]
- Undust fell in love with one of her subjects, which was a taboo she created. She hide herself from the other witches, but they would find out and battled again. This was not an official war. Undust would die [387 AtC] and Fatima would die [389 AtC].
- The witches Meriella and Pheoraye would rule. During their rule two more witches would be born, each exceptional. There was Semenai [463 AtC] and Verdoux [605 AtC]. Each witch was given a territory shortly after Semenai’s discovery and they evenly split the world for ruling.
- Almost 500 years after the First Witch War, 877 AtC, after the First Witch War the Second Witch War would start. Human Biotics would awaken in Humans again [863 AtC - 886 AtC ~Era of Wings].
- Primary forces decimated by 883 AtC and the War was officially over by 886 AtC. Witch Semenai was the only witch to come out of the battle incurably wounded.
- Human Punishment would result in 50% of the human population being eradicated by Meriella. [887 AtC - Current ~Fallen Era]
- Human beings collared and all Biotics sworn to secrecy by the collars. All information related to Human Biotics was destroyed. [888 AtC - 890 AtC]
- Current day is 907 AtC
Black Empire to the West
The Black Empire is ruled by the witch Semenai. Semenai, like all witches, was once a cruel and dangerous leader. However, after the conclusion of the Second Witch War she was horribly scarred and, although her destructive power has not left her, she has become meek and feeble. Of all the witches she is the least mentally stable of them and of all the witches she is the most uncaring of mortals. Semenai is miserable and self loathing and sulks in her enormous castle having debates with herself that always end in a crippling depression. She has random spurts of anger, sadness and confusion and can just sit upon her throne without an expression or even a breathe as a statue.
As a ruler, Semenai built the Black Empire and of all the Nations it is the greatest when it comes to it’s demonstration of art and literature. Humans, being less restricted even before Semenai’s fall, were able to express themselves, hold jobs and occupations, and even manipulated wealth. She left most of the economic structuring to humans and some humans revered her, to her preference, instead of obeying her simply out of fear. That wasn’t to say that they forgot that she was a witch, merely that they saw her as the best of all evils. As such, the Nation is highly cultural and it has larger cities instead of being littered with many villages or small townships.
With Semenai’s fall, a chimera by the name of Andros rules the Nation as best he can by taking the guidance from Semenai as well as he is able. He has a council of humans that he gives direction too and they mostly handle all the specifics of the Nation. It may almost seem as if humans rule this nation, however Semenai, no matter how ill or disoriented, holds enough magic to completely wipe all the council out with a snap of her fingers and they all know this...As it has happened twice within their history.
There are three reasons for the naming of the Black Empire. The first is due to the occupations humans generally have within. They spend a great deal of their time mining precious ores, working smiths and iron forges, as well as enormous mills. Secondary jobs are planting, farming, culturing minerals directly from the earth, and innovation. As such, humans are usually very tan and dark from closeness with open flames and working tirelessly out in open fields. Another reason is that the Capital, which is named Castle Black, has an enormous black cloud of smog and ash that sits above the buildings. The final reason is that most buildings are made of a metal, and very hard, black material. Like the Kingdom of Iron, most homes are constructed of metal and most furniture is made of iron as well. The Black Empire isn’t all the hard toil to produce endless amounts of ore. It is a city of art and imagination, more so than all other cities. Human’s have a freedom of imagination and are allowed a great deal of expression.
Black Empire Cities
- Castle Black - The largest city in all of the Black Empire. It is where Semenai resides and the human council. It is one of the two places in the Black Empire that has a Hall of Justice in which humans are allowed to make governmental decisions. It has the largest forgeries and produces the largest amount of weaponry, shielding, and industrial material. Out of all the cities, it is the most technologically advanced. This city has the actual castle at the end of it and it is fairly small for a Witches estate, however it is the second largest building in all of the Empire. The only thing taller is an enormous spire that stands to the furthest left of the Empire that acts as an observatory. The Observatory, commonly called the Eye, is a series of lenses, of varying magnitudes, that can be used to see all around the Empire or many miles out of the Empire. Like most capitals, it is surrounded by a black wall, which stands 25 feet high and has 4 cardinal gates. There are 7 libraries, 24 schools and universities, 117 businesses, 4 hospitals, and the world’s largest art gallery Nirvana.
- Creyst - Second largest nation within the Black Empire. Creyst is a trading town that has goods shipped from Castle Black that are escorted or bought for other Nations and their cities. They house more diverse goods than any other city and house the Upper Marketplace, which is the largest market in all of the world. There are well over 500 different Humanly owned business that can range in the selling of tools to the selling of wild, exotic pets to different foods. The Black Empire’s finest men and women can make more money than they could care to count in this city. Some of the rarest items could be produced or procured here, a few things ancient and long before the war. All witches do approve of the Upper Marketplace, as it is a place where even they can find things they would ordinarily be unable too and it is an approvable use of human labor. Unbeknownst to the witches, there is a Lower Marketplace in which illict goods are traded. These goods can range from drugs to weapons to even powerful monsters. Lower Marketplace sells things that witches would ordinarily disapprove of and, often times, some of the things that are sold can simply be information.
Other than it’s large markets, Creyst is a place that values art, music, theater and literature highly. There are various philosophers here, where human thought is permitted and virtually uncensored. There are three notable places within Creyst and those are the Grand Windmill, which is an enormous 7 story Windmill, the Aquamill, a windmill made completely of water that can produce water from the air, and the Macabre Zoo, a large zoo full of powerful and terrifying monsters.
- Dust Mines: Mines formally created by Undust the Wyvern. They are set in the Wyvern Mountains in the East, which litter the landscape. The geography is hilly, with small forests, and a few streams. It’s mostly open space though. The mines themselves are spread over a few dozen square miles and there are some small villages here and there for the miners, though most are transient men and women from Creyst or Castle Black. Dust mines are where 35% of all ore is produced for the entire world and is seemingly infinitely rich with materials. The mines grow deeper everyday and do take many human lives due to the toxic clouds, cave ins, and disease bearing insects. 1 in 8 human die in the cavern, thus there is a constant command for more.
- Wyvern Mines: Mines formally created by Undest the Wyvern. These mines are to the far East, to the Southern portion of the Wyvern Mountains. Like the Dust Mines they are dangerous. Wyvern Mines are used to procure various types of ore, but one special type that is only found here is Kerata. Kerata, which is refined into Esper Metal, is a mysterious element that is extracted from the mines and ordered to be shipped to the Nation of Stone. The Witches value this ore, however they never explain why. Wyvern mines are broader and more spaced out than the Dust mines and litter the land for about 150 square miles, thus the labor requirements are very high. It is the a job that 90% of the humans in the Black Empire are given. Inside the Wyvern mines are the White Lakes. These bodies of milky white water are blessed with magical radiation from the Witch Wars of old and are said to be able to bless mortals with longevity and heal their wounds. The lakes are rare, and humans quickly exhaust them in the mines, however this is the only place where the underground water’s will become White Lakes. It’s well sought by the doctors of Castle Black.
- Ardon A fairly large city, ranking in the third largest. Ardon is the second most diverse city in the Empire. There are many creatures here of different natures and forms that possess human intelligence or higher. These creatures and humans interact with one another, supporting each other symbiotically, and form friendly relations often. The creatures here are almost all magically made, thus have various incredible adaptations and mutations and they can be used to improve the quality of life. Most of these creatures were made by Semenai to keep a watchful eye on the North-Eastern portion of her lands, however over the years these creatures have become very attached to humans and can even form relationships with them. There are various half breed humans here, which are looked down and discriminated in all other places. Together they build various forms of art that is unique and unlike all other places in the world.
Ardon is ruled by a Dragon named Keios whom is fiercely loyal to Semenai and the witches. He is powerful, commanding a dragonfire that could incinerate just about anything, and holds commanding strength to crush whatever he desires. He was born about 150 years ago, sometime at the start of human migration towards this area, and has ruled over it ever since. Although he is lazy, he can be very suspicious and is quick to kill humans that get in his way.
- Rain Wyake A series of caverns in the Empire. It is in between Ardon and Turana, and connects them to each other. The caverns are made of a naturally occurring fragile compound, which humans call Glass. It’s rumored that Glass can absorb magic into itself and hold it. Glass was well sought during the Second Witch War, however when the human’s lost the connection between Glass and Magic was ordered forgotten. Pheoraye filled the place with monsters that would tear humans apart. Should on be brave enough, they could utilize these caverns and tunnels to travel secretly from Ardon to Turana.
- Turana - A smaller city in the Black Empire. This city lies close to the border between the North and West. Many come to hide here after escaping from the Kingdom of Iron. There are secretly many humans that removed their collars and they hide in a number of secretly built basements that are coated in Glass. For the most part it is neglected the most out of all human cities and has many secret passageways, underground hiding spots, and even a weapon’s training center that is still commonly used. It houses one of Galantry’s Hidden bases. At appearance, Turana is a run down slum that is dirty, smelly and completely unappealing. The land is infertile and flat. There aren’t any mines or any places to search for resources, thus living there is very hard and highly dependant on trade. As such, it is not a place a witch would care to worry about. Turana also houses the largest graveyard in the Black Empire and the second largest graveyard in the world.
- Glidewyern - Known as the Forest of Light. This is the world’s largest forest. It stretches from the Western most portion of the Black Empire and down into the South. This forest is 30 million acres large, making it the largest forest in the world. It houses the largest trees and the most diverse forms of wildlife. It is also protected by powerful, undeniable magical barriers that prevent all Witches and all Witch magic and all things born from Witch magic from entering. The magic is so strong that any and all of the four witches feel pain getting too close to it. Should they force the measure, and attempt getting close anyway, they face a wall of undeniable might. As such, all four of the witches together created their own barrier around this forest, which would keep all individuals out and away from it, and they always station their most powerful warriors around it. The leaders of their warriors are the Hawks of Eden. The Hawks are humanoid creatures with feathers coming from their skin and blood red eyes. They possess superhuman strength, the power to heal, and wield enormous signature maces. They are rarely seen outside of their guardianship around the forest, though they can stray into Turana.
The protection has been around this forest since the First Witch War, thus there haven’t been any humans that have actually been inside it. There are various stories about it. Myths of a utopia inside it and legends of immense treasures within...It is a place that many humans curiously wonder about.
Nation of Stone to the South
Nation of Stone is ruled by the Pheoraye, one of the oldest of the witches. Pheoraye rules all of the South and parts of the East. The South is mostly desert and ruins with most of the land unclaimed and dangerous. The South has scorching heats and the middle of it is almost inhospitable. It takes a great deal of luck and strength in order to cross the Malign Dunes that stretch hundreds of miles in length. Most humans in the South stick to their designated towns and cities and do not travel away from them. There have been many battles and wars in the South and it has created many magical scars upon the land, though not as much as the North or East. The Hawks of Eden, avian like Guardians of Glidewyern, tend to the far West completely, however they can be commanded by Asesino.
The Asesino are powerful human like creatures that have three eyes, black spikes that prod out their bodies, and are skilled weapons masters. They are of human intelligence and were a major weapon used by Pheoraye during the Second Witch War. They fight with bladed weapons, usually, and are unable to feel pain. Their bodies are hard, like stone, and their blood is poisonous to most organic life. They act like judges and are the primary task force in the South. They rule over the humans and ensure that they are tending to their duties and not conspiring. They have free reign over humans and favor torture and interrogation. They are merciless and unkind and will abuse their authority on a whim should they have even the slightest inkling that a mortal is suspicious. Asesino were said to be made from all the human’s in the South that rebelled against Pheoraye, however that is not true. They were simply picked, from supporters and rebels, and transformed by magic to fight for Pheoraye. Some of them hold grudges against Pheoraye, but they usually tend to their duties without complain. Although they can be killed, they do not age. The Asesino rule over almost all of the Nation of Stone. There are cells of them stationed in small cities with squadrons in the capital. These cells are distributed to the smaller cities and look over it as the highest authority. They are made to maintain peace and prevent human conflict, however they are usually overly violent and cruel.
One incredible feature of the Nation of Stone are its ruins. It has many secrets lying in the deep, hot sands. Many are due to Pheoraye herself, who has, in her paranoia, destroyed cities thinking they were conspiring against her. She had destroyed 3 different, developed, populated cities in her time. However, many of the ruins in this Kingdom are much older. There are things of history that predate the first Witch by thousands of years and there are things hidden in the sands that were crafted in times during Undust’s rule. These things are sought by Pheoraye, thus a lot of the Kingdom’s focus is excavation. However, the deserts not normal. After years of magical battles and magical scars that have irradiated the lands, the sands are alive and volatile.
Nation of Stone Cities
- Malign Dunes - The name for the largest desert in the world. It stretches on for hundreds of miles and, at it’s hottest, presents heats that exceed 130 degrees and lows that can drop 20 degrees below zero. It is not a safe place for anyone without the greatest protection to travel, however some humans, during the spring and fall, have trekked this hungry desert. The Malign Dunes house the Splinter Forest, the Ruins of Duran, Sopra Cabre, and the Lords of Sand.
- Splinter Forest - Forest of giant cacti. The splinter forest is dangerous, having various different types of sharp, splintery trees, cacti, and shrubbery however it also is home to many types of fruits, vegetables and edible plants that can be used for food. It is a place where some men will farm for seeds and plants. The splinter forest is the third largest forest and has an exotic plethora of wildlife that have adapted to the splintery locale.
- Ruins of Duran - Named after an adventurer from Castle Black. These ruins exist to the far south of the Stone Kingdom and are enormous. They are remnants of castles, towns, and an entire culture. They are thousands of years old, said to have been apart of some old civilization, and they house hints of ancient technology. The Ruins of Duran are forbidden to approach and guarded by Hawks and Asesino together.
- Sopra Cabre - Yet another ruin. Sopra Cabre is a ruin to the far west and it is twice as large as Duran and spread out for many miles in various directions. Sopra Cabre, however, is guarded by ancient beings known as the Lords of Sand. They are not magical in nature and typically creatures that not even witches could defeat. Lords of Sand are living beings of Sand that exist so long as there is sand. They will crush, smash, suffocate, or burn alive whoever strays too close to Sopra Cabre. They are hateful of witches and their designs, however there are certain mortals that they will not trifle with. The ruins themselves are mostly untouched. Some humans state that there are more riches here than anyplace in all the world and that’s why the ancient individuals of Sopra Cabre left the Lords of Sand as eternal guardians. Few humans have made it unto Sopra Cabre and, those few, have come back with gold and strange technology. The Asesino and Hawks guard a loose and wide perimeter around this place.
- Rey - A city to the Northern portion of the Nation of Stone. Rey exist on a higher plateau and between two mountain ranges, the Stone Peaks and the Dragon’s Jaw. It is used to grand windstorms, floods, and violent lightning storms. Despite its temperamental weather, it is a place full of citizens. These citizens are not required to specialize in anything and mostly live on a free-barter system with each other. Everyone picks up a craft and uses it to support one another in the city. There is no monetary system in Rey, nor are their ranks among society. No one is poor and everyone is fed. Everyone somewhat looks after each other as one large family. Those in Rey rely on plants that can stomach the severe heat and draw water from these plants as a primary water source, though the rains are a strong secondary. Many men travel out to the Splinter Forest to gather food and go on “Water Runs”, which are of such a scale that they support a majority of the community. Rey is a harsh place to live and it is very common for the elements to take a life.
- Hidalgo - A city of heat and drought. Hidalgo is in the hottest and coldest part of the Nation of Stone. Plants refuse to grow on Hidalgo, as the soil is too harsh and infertile, and the ground is very hard. The scorching heat burns away at life all around. There are various buildings around, which are mostly for storage. However, Hidalgo itself is an underground city. It is the only underground city in all of the world and is one of the most beautiful cities. Hidalgo exists as a series of caverns that lead, eventually, to an enormous opening where tall buildings, roads, and crystal lights exist. The city itself was created by Humans that survived the destruction of other cities by Pheoraye. She almost destroyed it, but was convinced otherwise by Meriella.
The city itself has a specialty in digging and tunneling. Their giant city is even larger than the Capital and houses three times the number of people. They make a lot of their living hunting and feeding off the animals that naturally live underground, strange plants that grow deep underground, and off bioluminescent fungi. They are excellent at growing the cacti that will not grow above ground underground and have a large amount of food in reserve. Their excavation talents gave them a use for Pheoraye as well.
Pheoraye is highly interested in the sands of the desert, but doesn’t want to go digging through it herself. So, in order for Hidalgo to remain, she orders that excavation and tunneling through the upper desert and the deep portions of the desert be done constantly. As such, the humans are forced to go above ground, find curious places in the sands, and dig. These “Digger Parties” do often times find interesting things, which are then shipped to the capital. It is a city of salvage and and full of various desert specialist that live and die in the sands. Some of the things they find are incredible...So incredible that they die the moment an Asesino realizes that a human laid eyes on it. Stories of Stone Golems are common.
Hidalgo as a whole is heavily monitored by Asesino. They are the highest authority and humans must report to them and follow through with whatever they ask. Asesino usually do not value human lives and typically work the men and women of Hidalgo to the point of death, either by heat, exhaustion or starvation. The Asesino rule everything and are quick to kill a human should they think there is suspicious behavior. Despite this, there is only one cell of Asesino in Hidalgo at a time.
- Sombra - City surrounded by quicksand. The quicksand were not always there and simply naturally appeared with time. The city is surrounded by Lords of Sands as well, which came years after the quick-sand. They do not care for Asesino or witches, thus it is very hard for Pheoraye to maintain control there. However, Pheoraye has developed a method of possessing collared humans and directing the Asesino with her wishes. The one cell of Asesino that are in Sombra are the only ones that will ever be there so, should anything happen to them, Pheoraye could very well lose all control. Despite their advantage and virtual freedom from Pheoraye, they are usually very docile. They rely on catching birds and growing plants in their city. Meat is rare and held by only the most talented. There, at the moment, is no reasonable way to travel into or out of Sombra as Lords of Sand bar Witches and the enormous seas of quicksand prevent humans. This makes Pheoraye very angry.
There is a Galantry headquarters here in Sombra. Human rebels from the old war planned and conspired here. They had a special means of communicating with outsiders that is still currently unknown to Pheoraye. It’s said that a highly dangerous weapon was developed by humans here in Sombra and, despite her attempts, Pheoraye has never found one and knows nothing of the Headquarters.
- Paraiso - The southern most city and Capital of the Nation of Stone. Paraiso is a beautiful oasis by the Southern Ocean, Coraje, and is an enormous city full of life, pleasure and beauty. Some of the most beautiful individuals originate from Paraiso, thus is nicknamed to Land of Bello, named after the most beautiful person ever born. Paraiso is where Castle Joya resides. The castle was crafted by a talented artist, named Joya, and Pheoraye kept the title. The castle is beautiful and enormous with studded gems and crystals. It is a city of art and celebration, holding many spectacular festivals. The people of Paraiso live in comfortable homes made of straw and stone. Pheoraye prefers to live surrounded by beauty, thus she takes great pride in the appearance and energy of Paraiso, however she is no less paranoid. Although Hidalgo has a higher population, she has many more guards and observers here in Paraiso. It is full of spies and has a fair number of equally as violent Asesino.
Yards of Bones to the EastNation ruled by Verdoux and it is the most strange of all of the nations. Where as most nations have various natural geological natures, the Yards of Bones consist of position specific nature properties. Depending on where you live would depend on the weather. The whether isn’t the only thing that is unnatural. The entire place is littered with scars from magical battles and full of various, powerful forces that even the Witches care not to trifle with. More individuals have died in wars in the East than any other place. More people have simply died on the lands of the East than any other place as it was where 50% of the world’s population was rounded up and executed by Meriella.
Although the weather is strange, it is not due to magic. In fact, the weather control is beyond Verdoux’s ability to alter. The weather does not change according to season and does not change daily. One place will always ran and another place will always be sunny. It is the one place that the other Witches wanted nothing to do with and, being left with it, Verdoux picked it up. Verdoux is somewhat more neutral than most witches. She is not as lenient as Semenai, as paranoid as Pheoraye or as tyrannical as Meriella. She is honestly hardly involved in the human’s she presides over and tends to simply sulk in her castle out of boredom. She does not have a task force to control the masses, as Pheoraye does, but uses a system of humans as Semenai does. The human’s have leaders she decides and they report to her. She checks in on them regularly and takes a great deal of politics into her own hands. She acts more like a president than Semenai, whom lets humans completely tend to themselves.
She does hire humans to entertain her, offering them money for their services should they succeed and death should they fail. She is a highly bored Witch, but can be easily entertained by something interesting enough. She is patient, usually, and will not destroy things unnecessarily. She is at ends with the other three witches, detesting them, and is the most likely of the three to start up another war simply to war.
Yards of Bones Cities
- City of Rain - A city that constantly rains. The rain clouds are so dark and thick that it is almost impossible to determine the time of day as it is always dark and gloomy. Although it is a city it is completely empty. It is the Capital of the Yards simply because it is where Verdoux’s castle is. She is the only permanent resident of the City of Rain. It’s endless rains are caught in complex and beautiful aqueduct formations that run water acrobatically in various patterns. City of Rain was once a bustling city with many people, however Verdoux forced them all out and now rules over it and nothing in it. Why she did this even she isn’t entirely sure. She has humans come from far away to entertain her. They usually stay a while, a few days, before leaving. She has been known to summon men to her and make it exceptionally difficult to reach her castle. The rewards for entertaining her are typically lavish, thus some consider it almost an honor.
- City of Clouds - A human city that is always overcast. It is one of the two cities that actually has a measure of determining time as it has a day and night. The City of Clouds is more like the actual Capital of the Yards, even if Verdoux made it so that it wasn’t. Clouds has the thickest population and the greatest amount of culture. It is second only to Castle Black in terms of culture and art. It is a city of tradesmen that form skills and guilds with one another in attempt to be the greatest at something. Because it is common for Verdoux to call for men from this place for entertainment, a great number of the population travel to Castle Black and Creyst to learn skills necessary to be amazing.
Clouds has a structure of nobles, wagemen, and the poor. They use a monetary system and the nobles control all the businesses and have the right to land. The wagemen are those that work for and under the nobles. They are the most skilled of all the men and women in the city as they are the laborers and those that know the secrets of their select trade. The poor are those that lost everything due to some circumstance, are farmers, are cultivators, are servants or are needed to be cared for by wagemen. All nobles became nobles because they successfully entertained Verdoux and she gave them a great deal as a reward. Often times, Nobles are called back to her estate so they must keep their skills to a fine point and fresh, as to not be redundant. They hire wagemen to that effect and to run the economy of Clouds. Wagemen are also typically warriors, hired for protection or as escorts. Strangely, those Verdoux summons are faced by threat after threat in attempt to reach the City of Rain, thus it is necessary to have a great deal of highly trained protection to reach her. There are many schools of weapon training, martial arts, and self defense in Clouds on top of all the art and theater.
For the most part, individuals in Clouds support each other. Crime is low and getting work from nobles isn’t usually that difficult. Applying to try and put on a show for Verdoux is easy, especially considering 70% of those that try die before even reaching Rains. People tend to try and look out for each other and put the nobles on pedestals.
- City of Fog - Another city that actually has a noticable day and night schedule. Fog isn’t as artsy as Clouds, though it is a secondary job majority. Mostly, humans live along side Children of the Fog, which are varying beasts that were born from a magical scar near the city. Ordinary animals evolved into many different types of creatures that bred with each other to make many more different kinds of creatures, of varying intelligence. The creatures and humans have a similar relationship as those of Ardor.
The fog mostly spreads outwards in all directions, however to the far West are the Aurora FIelds.
- Aurora Fields - A beautiful field where aurora’s pain the sky. It is to the far west of the city of Fog and appears immediately after the fog dissipates. There are many types of savage beasts here that will quickly kill any trespassing human. The Aurora Fields was a war site during the Witch Wars and has many fissures and cavities from the battles. There are skeletons here and there and some graves build to commemorate someone. Those that wander the fields, even back during the war, feel dazed. One that enters the fields will become confused and unfocused and, eventually, uncoordinated. It is exceptionally hard to navigate the fields as every little thing becomes a distraction and every little thing makes it harder to think. Many humans can wander the fields until they eventually die of thirst or starvation.
- Vegoraiya - A large forest that was the center for a magical war. The Aurora Fields soak into the trees and the magically saturated grounds resonate with them. There are several streams, running all the way from Rains, that cut through this forest. It has a few lakes and is considerably large though still the smallest forest. There are many different types of monsters and beasts in Vegoraiya, to the point that most humans would never enter, but the worst of it all are the plants.
Vegoraiya has plants that can speak and move all upon their own will. There are plants of incredible intelligence, which exceeds human intellect, as they have lived thousands of years longer than humans. The magic that brought thought to them gave them various unnatural adaptations. The Living Plant Forest is feared, and rightfully so. Though most plants can live off the sun alone there are others that need additional nutrition seeing as it will not rain there. Some plants are carnivores and will hunt their prey in the forest or even as far out as the Aurora Fields. They have nasty capabilities with poison and some can penetrate armor with pure strength. The plants do fear fire, however, and will typically not interact with something burning.
- Gravity Fields: - A favorable place within the Yards. Gravity fields are magic scar from the magical wars of witches. It is a place where gravity fluctuates naturally. Gravity can be very light, and typically is, allowing one to jump high. There are many rocks that float high in the air that can be walked on. Gravity fields are very broad and wide but they are mroe of a series of dirt, plains and cliffs than actual fields. The gravity can be used to leap across enormous cracks in the earth from battles or over ravines. There are many cuts and tears from the earth that would ordinarily make travelling it highly difficult. Bridges are unnecessary, however, due to the estranged gravity. These fields can be dangerous, however. Just as the gravity can be very light it can, on a whim, change and become bone crushingly heavy. The gravity fields sit in-between the City of Fog and the City of Sun to the East of the City of Fog.
- City of Sun - A city of endless sunlight and warmth. There are no nights in the City of Sun. The City of Sun is one of the most important places on the entire world as it produced 60% of all food that is then transported throughout the world by means of either trade or allowance of Verdoux. They are the most agriculturally advanced, having techniques to grow hundreds of miles of edible plants and food. They raise livestock that they ship as potential food to all other nations and posses some of the best animal rearing techniques in the world. As such, Sun is a land of farmers, agriculturalist, horticulturalists and some talented scientists in the same fields.
Even with all the land reserved for planting, the city is surrounded by millions of acres of untouched, fertile pasture. If the city had three times the population it could probably provide food for everyone in the entire world 10 times over. Seeing as Witches also need food and they like the variety that can be grown in the City of Sun, they typically do not destroy anything there and all try to keep an eye on the resources, though Verdoux does not allow Hawks or Asesino to be anywhere near any of her cities.
People can afford to live a little lavishly in the City of Sun. They can grow fat if they don’t work the fields, which their elderly tend to do. It can be a fairly happy place, even with the rule of the witches always looming over their heads.
Kingdom of Iron to the North
Also known as the Kingdom of Blood. It possess only one major city, New Meriella, and was once the home and house of the old witch Undust. There is enormous suffering and misery in the Kingdom of Iron, as it is ruled by Meriella the Kind, whom is the most tyrannical and evil of all the witches. She is the most brutal, most violent of all Witches. She kills humans upon a whim and has been known to cast diseases upon them, burn down their homes, and fill their homes with parasites all for the simple pleasures of knowing they are suffering. She loves to kill Children the most. It is common practice to hide all the children when she is patrolling the streets.
The Kingdom of Iron is named because of the slavery that exists there, the heavily reliance on the collar, and the iron arena that is in the capital city New Meriella. Slavery is a commonality within the Kingdom of Iron. Humans are either owned by Humans that Meriella favors or by creatures she created known as Demons. Demons were once humans. However, during the Second Witch War, Meriella turned a number of humans into violent, bloodthirsty, ugly monsters and forced them to fight for her. She gives humans to Demons for their respective designs, to torture or beat, and to maintain order throughout her lands. 75% of all humans in the Kingdom of Iron are owned by either a Demon or by another Human and that is 95% of the entire population of New Meriella. Those that are not owned are typically those that live in a village or small town far away from the snowy capital.
There are slave camps all around the Kingdom of Iron, named by colors. There is Camp Red, Camp Blue, Camp Black, Camp White, Camp Violet, Camp Yellow, Camp Green and Camp Gray. These camps have slave traders that will go out and hunt humans, even from other Nations, and drag them to their camps. The purpose of these camps is to gather slaves for either selling or for training for the arena. Slaves have no rights and their owners have freedom to do whatever they wish with the lives of their slaves. It is encouraged to be violent with slaves and to spread pain as an example.
The Arena is the most popular event in all of the Kingdom of Iron. The Arena is a large, bloody coliseum in New Meriella in which men, women and Demons fight to the death in front of an audience. The victor claims the title of champion for their respective, supporting Camp. Slaves all originate from come camp or their slaves originate from one or the slavers are supported by one, so all slavery is connected to a camp. So when someone fights and win’s in the arena they bring great honor for that camp. The matches are held twice a year and the Camp with the highest number of victories is Camp White with Camp Red, Blue and Green closely behind. Camp Green and Gray are tied as the worst and they treat their slaves the worst. Whoever is the champion of a arena is able to ask for one wish from Meriella. As such, many from all around the world will sometimes even willingly submit themselves to a slave camp just to participate in the arena. In the battles, it is not always necessary to kill your opponent, but you can make someone submit to your camp.
The Arena aside, the Kingdom has really no positivity about it. There are bandits, murderers, thieves, and an assassin’s guild that all seek to spread pain and misery. The Witch herself is, unlike all others, very involved in the lives of others. She goes out of her way to ensure that she knows names and faces and will be the quickest to exact her judgment upon others. She is the highest judge in the land, often taken request from men to resolve their problems, which is usually just her picking which side she likes best and killing the other. Meriella is commonly seen walking the streets of her Kingdom and actually has a few that do enjoy her company, though they are usually as dark and sadistic as she is.
Another aspect of the Kingdom of Iron is the Dark Religion is here. They perform many ritualistic and gory sacrifices out in the open and put them on display.
The highest buyer of weapons in all the world, New Meriella trades with the Dark Empire for almost all their export of crafted weapons of various types. Weapons are vital in assuring your life. Every man, woman and child has to fight for their right to exist. From the moment an individual is born they can be captured and turned into a slave, robbed, or strung up for a ritualistic sacrifice of the Dark Religion. The Kingdom of Iron is a Kingdom of strength as every single day is a fight for survival.
Kingdom of Iron Cities
- Isle of Muryn - Islands to the far north of the Kingdom of Iron. These islands have fairly peaceful villages. They are typically as a resort location for Meriella and the humans that do live there are her staff. The Ocean they reside in, to the far North, is Muryn’taos and has enormous aquarian life that are said to be capable of swallowing ships whole. The Isle is fairly peaceful and there are well over 20 different islands with human villages on them. Out of all in the Kingdom of Iron they have the best lives and Meriella is very selective on who she allows to reside there.
- Sherier - The only city and the Capital of the Kingdom of Iron. It is large and usually covered in snow. In the summer the snow melts and it is said to be an exceptionally beautiful city surrounded by gardens. The Arena is here as is Queen Snow, the grand castle held by Meriella. Queen Snow is the largest castle in all of the world, rivalling the size of a small town itself. Inside Queen Snow is a mall, rooms for the staff, several banquet halls, and enormous stadiums. It is the most elegant outside, having various green gardens and a pearly white color and smooth, milky structuring. The city itself has 5 districts, which are all relatively the same. The Queen Snow is in the center of the city, with the 5 districts built in the different directions around it. The District are named by numbers and house similar commodities, however there are various gangs within the districts that fight. There is some manner of discrimination between each and when one tries to venture into another they find they are looked down upon. Universally in all districts people don’t value each other, look for some way to get over on another person, and would kill each other simply because they didn’t like the way someone looked at them. It’s hard to find a safe place in this city and the lives of the citizens are hard, especially for those that are not slaves. Slaves usually have Slavers who have the responsibility of finding food and shelter for their Slaves, but free individuals have to fend for themselves.
- Fayth - Large, sacred battle site. It is where Undust was killed by Pheoraye. There are many magical battle scars as the entire city was once almost wiped out by Pheoraye and Undust fighting. Now, there is an enormous temple, which the Dark Religion defile with their rituals, that depicts art from Castle Black of Undust’s death. The temple is fairly large and was once a meeting place for the remaining witches. The magic radiation is heavy here. Those that wander the fields will watch as their bodies start to mutate and shift, becoming beat and battered by the magic. Most times people will simply be warped so far apart that they will just become splashes of meat or explode, however there are a few that have taken beneficial mutations from wandering in the fields. This has always breed problems for Meriella so she stationed Hawks, avian guardians, to watch over it. They will slay anyone daring enough to approach, though most who see Hawks know better than to try.
- Bruyn Hills - Magically irradiated lands from the initial battle when the witches fought over Fatima. The hills sparkle with magic and those that wander into them fall asleep. The fields run all the way to the far West, completely consuming that territory and an enormous portion of the Kingdom of Iron’s lands. However, there are a few humans who have managed the trek across, keeping their eyes open and their minds focused, and they managed to set many villages across that way. Meriella doesn’t believe those villages exist, thus never checks. She believes it to be wishful thinking of humans, as no one can survive the powerful allure of slumber by the Bruyn Hills, not even herself. Whether those villages exist or not is to be seen.
- Sea of Tears An enormous, bewitched Graveyard. Other than the whole of Yards and the Graveyard in the Black Empire, the Sea of Tears is a giant graveyard without rival. The dead from Undust’s war were laid to rest here and it was there they rested for a long time. However, on a whim, Meriella cast a powerful magic upon the graveyard and created life in the undead. These undead wander aimlessly, without thought or minds, and attack whatever they can get their hands on. They are unlike zombies in that they can still heal and regenerate and they do not crave flesh, only wish to kill anything and everything. The Sea of Tears is one of the hardest challenges to pass and it is South of the Kingdom of Iron, thus many who wish to visit Iron or to leave Iron must pass through it or the Bruyn Hills, thus creating a formidable barrier from travel.
- Cha Lo Drum - To the East there is an enormous field of giant monsters. These monsters exist in a desolate, volcanic terrain and are constantly waging war with one another either for territory or power or due to threat. These monsters command powerful strength and quake the earth in their steps. They are giant, hundreds of times larger than humans, and serve as an extraordinary blockade to travellers. Meriella created these giant monsters to watch them fight on another for fun, however when she grew bored of them she created lava and volcanoes to ravage many of the monsters ranks. This only served to disturb them to the point of endless aggression and destruction. The monsters will simply kill anything that moves, including trying to kill each other and that’s only if all the earthquakes and volcanic eruptions don’t take any trespassers first.
- Camp Red - To the North, outside Sherier.
- Camp Blue - To the North-East, outside a human village.
- Camp Black - To the West, many miles from Bruyn Hills.
- Camp White - To the South-West, outside a human village.
- Camp Violet - To the South, near the Southern portion of Cha Lo Drum.
- Camp Yellow - To the South-East, near the Southeastern portion of Cha Lo Drum.
- Camp Green - To the East, near a human village.
- Camp Gray - To the South of Sherier, just before the Sea of Tears.
Some Terms to Know
From the suffering and the toils of the Kingdom of Iron was born humans with an unparalled hatred of witches. These humans, finding out about their gifts with their minds, sought to end the world of all witches. These humans amassed strength and gathered resources in secret, hiding behind their special powers and the ignorance of the witches, and formed a unit 12 men and women which was called Galantry. They were known as the Galant 12 and were some of the strongest, smartest, bravest humans in all the world and they had a plan to take down the absolute control of their world from the tyranny of the wicked witches. Galantry created a face, which they called Formalus, and summoned up an Army in secret. They cut the Witches off from resources and immediately started up the Second Witch War under the name and title of Formalus. Formalus was the name of the Rebellion, as Galantry kept themselves hidden even from the highest ranked within Formalus. Galantry, the true leaders of Formalus, sought to plan from the shadows and keep their intentions secret from the witches. Formalus, run by the Galant 12, fought with banner and sword against the witches in the Second Witch War and, when they were defeated, the witches never found out their identities. Formalus was disestablished, however Galantry remained strong and as willful as ever. After the war, however, Galantry became disheartened and all but three disbanded. Their disband would be silent, as none knew their names, but they were the leading force behind the rebellion against the witches.
Galantry still has various secret bases and secret members all over the world. They have some sway over many human businesses, considering their nature, and the members of Galantry are said to be exceptionally powerful. Maddrick, the one who sent a critical blow to the Witch Semenai, was a member of Galantry and one of the forward Generals of Formalus. He was the only member of Galantry to show his face to the public.
The Dark Religion
The Dark Religion is a sadistic religion that worships the Great Od as the overlord and ultimate god above God. There is one supreme God that created all things that would create all things, thus starting up an infinite chain of causality. Those that pray to the Great Od believe in a cycle of causality and rebirth in which life, like energy, always exists in some form and that life, when taken from the living, becomes apart of the world around humanity. This life becomes the seeds for more life, spreading and thinning, to become a great flow for the world. Another rationale: from this flooding wave the energy of life becomes apart of a large wave that thins into streams and splashes upon the shore to feed the earth and the earth then feeds the plants and the plants the animals and the animals humans. As such, they believe that there is an enormous value to death. They believe that the more violent a death the greater the energy that is transferred into the transition from the mortal shell into the great flow and the more prosperous then life will be the Great Od directs this flow, naturally, and pours it into the creators of creators and this energy trickles down through the actions they make and eventually comes back to mortal men. The point of all life is to return to the flow to bring prosperity to the world and life of all worlds. As such, they are violent murderers that manage an Assassin’s guild that kills in the name of the Great Od. They believe that the stronger a mortal is the more energy that they have, thus their end goals are to one day kill all the witches and return their life to the world for the better of the world. However, they are not just or favored in this aspect, because followers of the Dark Religion, which is the heaviest within the Kingdom of Iron, wish to return all life in the entire world to the great flow so that the Great Od may create something extraordinary.
Some aspects about the Dark Religion are:
- They are anti-technology. They don’t believe in even the simplistic versions of technology.
- They believe that the Great Od is the only one worthy of being ruler over them. He created their creators, thus he is a beyond beyond even what created the witches.
- They do not value their lives. They would happy throw themselves to death as it is only them getting closer to death.
- Some of the higher ranking have been trained to elicit pain in others. This training was by enduring a great deal of pain and finding enjoyment out if it. Their higher tiers are highly sadistic.
- They use poison as a weapon.
- Their goal is to end all life on the planet, thus they have no sympathy for anyone alive.
- There is no higher being than the Great Od and all should submit to his desires.
During the First Witch War humans were mutated by Undust the Wyvern in order to give her an edge against the other witches. Her magic ran into the bodies of the humans blessing them with extraordinary physical abilities. This attribute travels from the brain of the user and actively presents itself in the form of a spectacular power. She needed this strength in order to maintain her own strength.
During the First Witch War, human’s held incredible abilities with their minds. They could move objects, protect themselves, and hurt others with only a thought. Their powers were by a different form of energy than magic. It was the energy of the mind or the energy of will. This power gave human the strength to fight on par with monsters, demons and other machinations of magic. It was with this power that humans were more than humans, yet kept their humanity.
The nature of the power is special. It is not like magic. It is a power that exist as an extension of will, mental strength, and projected thought. This power is a psychic power and holds very definite characteristics. It is an exact opposite of magic, which can create something from nothing, as this power that humans wild draws upon the natural world. This power can also be used as a bar from magic, as magic has difficulty manipulating or countering it. The power exists as a manipulation of the raw, natural nature around the user and even when projected as pure, kinetic power it is still completely unlike magic. Humans were given this magic by a witch and, unfortunately for witches, they cannot take it back. It has already become apart, naturally, in what humans are.
This power was once sealed in humans by another witch for 500 years. The seal broke early and the power started to present itself in humans again. They had extraordinary abilities which enabled them to do ordinarily impossible feats. They drew this strength up, hid it away from witches, and started up a rebellion.
Currently, this power is still being born in humans. Although the first rebellion failed humans are far from being completely powerless now. Humans hold a strength in them that is great enough for them to make an enormous impact on the world. This power is reflected by a mortal’s mental strength and will as such as a mortal grows stronger so will it.
Biotic is an old term, derived from the ancient civilization long before the Witches ruled. Humans with this gift are also called Espers, Thought-Givers, Psychics, Wizards, and various other nicknames, however they are officially Biotics. However, not everyone knows the full scope of these abilities as most who did are dead, in hiding, collared by witches, or have been turned into monsters. Biotics are special masters of mind and mental powers and, as such, hold a different power than Witches.
Those that use Biotics can suffer from Overload which is overexertion of their Biotic powers. At first there is disorientation, then there is lightheartedness, pressure in the forehead, then there is pain. The pain will grow heavier and heaver in their head until their ears, nose and eyes will bleed and, eventually, the pain will spread to their organs and cause pain in them. If they continue to use their powers beyond what they have trained themselves to endure they can suffer from brain damage or some other systemic crash from destroying their organs. It is also key, if one is trying to be secretive, to avoid getting close to the pain as bleeding is a tell-tale sign that one is a Biotic.
Human's with psychic powers have five choices to start off with:
- Push: Power to create a flying and moving wall of force at an opponent. This power can be used with a single thought, thus it is fast, and it is usually very powerful. However, each push drains on the user's mind. The more time it is used the more taxing it is and the more exhausting it can be.
- Bar: Creates a barrier around the user that protects them from oncoming attacks. This power can only be cast a few feet around the user and is usually exceptional even from the weaker users. The Wall can appear differently, though most times it resembles air around the user or where the wall is constructed. It takes considerable energy to form a wall completely around the user and maintaining it for more than a couple seconds is heavily taxing. The longest a single wall can stand is 10 seconds.
- Control: Ability to control the minds of other non-Biotics. This power can be used on many different types of beings to control their minds and, thus, their bodies to do what the user wills. This can only be used upon one individual at a time and the greater the distance the weaker the control. The longer one uses the power the greater mental stress they build and the weaker they will become. They will find concentrating on other things far too difficult when controlling a mind.
- Lift: Power to lift, not control or move, a specified target. Those that can Lift can typically lift things heavier than they are, however things that are many times larger than they are become difficult to lift. It is possible to quickly, almost immediately, something and toss it out of the way, however the heavier something is the slower the lift will be.
- Shift: Capable of making oneself imperceptible to others. One won't be able to sense, touch, see or comprehend any sensation related to the target or something the target is using. So not only can they make something invisible, but they can make it seem as if doesn't exist. It is easier to do objects smaller than one's self and maintain that for many minutes. It is taxing to do oneself for anything longer than a few minutes.
All humans, regardless of status or history, must wear a collar. All collars are the same and act as tracking devices for witches and their servants. Any servant of a witch can activate a collar to send tremendous pain through an individual’s entire body. The collar can be accessed by any witch so that she can either see what another person sees or, on rare occasions, even inhabit the body of the one wearing the collar to control them (only Pheoraye is capable of this). In Semenai, Pheoraye, and Verdoux’s territories humans are given the collar when they are 20 years of age. In Meriella’s territory a human is given a collar the day they are born and must receive a number of collars at various periods of their lives. Many humans have used these as rites of passages for their kin and it is actually celebrated.
In a NutshellYou are a human in a world ruled by evil, dangerous and powerful Witches. They possess the magic to destroy an entire city all by themselves. A war and termination of half the population was only 20 years ago; the scars from their claws are still fresh. You, like just about every human are going through life living under the hateful subjugation of these Witches. That is how it will all start out, however. Things are in the works, and haven't revealed themselves, that will greatly change the lives of the everyone in the entire world. You will be presented choices that will likely follow you for the rest of your life. Those will be your choice and your choice alone.
Whispers of another rebellion are stirring in the Empire of the North. If you are courage you could head over that way. However, you are not expected to do anything. You can just live your life as normally as a human could in this crazy, chaotic world. Soon, things will appear to you and drag you through stress after stress.
Biotics can start off with any one of the five starter powers. For now those are the only allowable powers should you make a Biotic. Your abilities will evolve, in favorable ways, depending on your actions and decisions and should you decide to use your abilities many times throughout. Know that you do not have to make a Biotic, but I would highly suggest one.
You can choose one of the main cities/towns or you can make up a small village inside one of the Kingdoms. Doesn't really matter to me. So long as your history flows with the character and with the location they were born with and the witches they are born in guardianship of.
You may start off in any of the listed locations, be from any of the listed locations, etc. Play with the template and create a unique and impressive character.
Rules are the usual Advance Rules.
Anything else goes here. There aren't many restrictions other than you must create a human character first. After that I don't really mind.
Name: Your character's name. Include any alias here.
Age: How old your character is.
Gender: Male or Female.
Race: First character must be a Human. Additional characters can be any race, made up or mythical.
Skills: Special talents your character has. Thievery, lying, healing, knowledge of something, writing, memorizing, puzzles, breaking bones, sword skills, patience, hardworking, etc. Relate this to their job skills, should they work.
Weapons: Weapons they carry on them. This isn't necessary.
Biotics: Push, Lift, Control, Bar, Shift.
Goals: Plans the character has. Doesn't have to be grand. Could be simple and ordinary.
Personality: How your character acts, thinks, interacts with others and their over all opinion of their life. Would be nice to include their opinion of the Witches, of the War, and their Future.
Birthplace: Which Nation and City/Village one was born in.
History: Your character's history. Know that if they are younger than 20 they would likely not remember the Second Witch War and know if they are older than 20 they would have a Collar...Unless they took it off.
Appearance: Text description or a picture. Picture is preferred.