The Holy Grail War; a term that stands for the ritual carried out by mages throughout all of history in an attempt to defy Gaia, or the world so to speak, and to cheat destiny and subsequently god themselves into doing their bidding. During the dawn of man, and using the True Magic that they weaved, the mages had intended to bring forth a mighty wish granting artifact which would make anyone’s dream true. Yet… man was selfish, and had decided that only one was worthy of the miracle the holy artifact possessed… and so, they fought. Not with simple toys or magic either… but of the greatest of all powers; “Champions of Man”. This second ritual, dubbed the War of the Magi, lead to the creation of the great familiars that were tethered directly to Akasha. These familiars were the embodiment of the heroes of fairytales and history, and even of creatures and monsters, and the gods themselves.
These familiars were then named ‘Servants’ in order to explain their existence as a tool for their magi Masters.
And so, the Holy Grail was born, and with it erupted the crusades to capture the land that held the grail. Legends were born from these wars that were altered by the scholars of old… which eventually became the stories we listen to today, and which further add to the collection of heroes within Akasha. The Battle of the Ten Kings, the Crusades of the Holy Land, the Hundred Years’ War, the American Revolution, and the World Wars… all the battles fought throughout history were all just the upper layer for the true war that was carried out by the Magi and their godly familiars.
Until the day that five families sought a way to win the war for the Holy Grail and to preserve it for themselves… by creating a weapon capable of killing any familiar that the rivaling Magi could muster. The Vermal, Kuyora, Diederich, Calnans, and the Asmodeas were the five families that masterminded this plan to create this weapon. This weapon became to be known as the ‘Lance of Longinus’ by man, and its power was proved to be the mightiest when it struck down and killed the one who would be hailed as the strongest of all heroes; the son of god.
However, unknown to all, the Lance of Longinus was linked directly to Akasha itself thanks to the Asmodea Family, who knew the secrets of opening the seal that prevented man from opening Akasha. And thus… once the Lance of Longinus struck down the son of god, it also struck them from within Akasha… severing the strings that would allow a magi to summon them again. Though, even with this power, it was no match for what the magi did next… they united with other magi, and they fought alongside one another with their powerful Servants, and utterly destroyed the Lance of Longinus. With the great weapon gone, the five families disappeared, and the war for the Holy Grail continued through small intervals.
However, due to the creation and destruction of the Lance of Longinus, the Holy Grail became sentient… and developed a mind of its own. In fear of someone creating a weapon capable of destroying it, it decided for the Holy Grail war to begin again, and for those willing to face the dangers that it brings in order to have their deepest desires brought into fruition. Although, something that has never happened before in the history of the Holy Grail was has happened for those new to the war… A Servant summoned by no one has appeared in the city of Spero, and has declared himself the overseer and the Reclaimer for the Holy Grail War.
The overseer has declared that the Holy Grail is real, and that it is time for someone to finally win the Holy Grail and have their wish granted… and that this time, it will not stop until a winner has been chosen.
Will you win, and have your wishes brought into light? Or will you fail, and turn to dust as someone else’s wish comes into fruition?
Alright, this is my first RP on this site, and I do hope things go well. >.< So please bear with me if I show some difficulties!
Anyways, welcome to this Fate RP!
Although, this one has quite a few different twists to it compared to the many Fate RPs we are used to. First, this one is based on the unique principle of “no limits to the amount of Servants/Masters summoned”… however, due to the complications that the Nasuverse and the canon stories brings into the RPs (And how it limits the freedom for the players a bit), I’ve decided to eliminate that aspect of it (the Nasuverse, that is) as to prevent problems and needless arguing, and create a different universe not related to the Nasuverse, but is still based upon a similar principle.
Anyways, onto the rules! :
- The number one and most important of all rules. No Godmodding whatsoever. Even if you play as an all mighty servant that is about to drive your heaven-splitting and universe shattering sword into the heart of a cripple child Master in a wheelchair, you don't write that you hit him. You state your intent and then wait for confirmation of the kill. This rule is slightly more lax with NPC but still use your common sense. If you really feel your character is being pushed around then please report it to me and I will mediate as I deem fair.
- There might be high fluctuations on the powers of those in the game... However, this doesn't mean that there is a net benefit on playing a mightier character to push people around. Stronger Servants and teams will face greater challenges and be on the target from several other Servants who might aim to take the greater menace down. While I hope that we can have fun, take into account that signing up for more power will mean more trouble for you and be held to closer scrutiny.
- This is an elimination game, which means that your character will most likely die. We'll try to keep the killing to latter in the game but if it happens it's just the course of the game, you may start again with another character if you want to keep playing.
- The Holy Grail War is supposed to be kept a secret in the game world, heck, it’s been hidden throughout history underneath other wars and conflicts. This basically means that even though you can kill civilians in plain daylight, destroy whole buildings while giggling and declare yourself Lord Mage and Master of all the pathetic Muggles, all these acts carry will/may carry dire consequences. If you break the Masquerade you may make yourself the enemy of all and a price may just be put on your little trouble-making head. You have been warned. Still you can commit as many atrocities as you can think of as long as nobody notices.
- You control your PC and I'll even allow you to control the actions of some little NPC's like your PC parents, service or whatever, but please don't abuse this.
- Last but not least, if you want to quit the game, please just say so instead of simply disappearing into the night. We'll reach some agreement on what to do with your character. Elimination, retirement and other options are at hand.
Now, onto a couple of twists to this Fate RP!
First, ‘’three’’ classes have been added to the roster of Servant Classes that we’re used to. These classes are Ruler, Avenger, and Monster.
To elaborate a bit upon these classes, Rulers are basically those who were worshipped, praised, or hailed as a higher being than just a normal human in life. Simply put, they are the gods in history and stories given mortal form via the Holy Grail. For example: Thor, Zeus, Odin, Susanoo, Amaterasu, and even the titans, such as Prometheus and Cronus, would fall under the Ruler class. Does this mean that they have all of their powers that they would have in life? No. The Holy Grail may be a powerful object, but due to its current restrictions (and for the sake of the RP), it cannot bring the full power of a god into the RP. All those summoned into this class have Divinity and Magic Resistance for Class skills.
Avengers are those who were hailed as a hero despite their wishes, sacrificed for a greater purpose, were betrayed or had betrayed someone in some manner or form, or were killed wrongly. For example: Ariadne, Medea, and Polyphemus (Cyclops) would qualify as an Avenger Servant. All those summoned into this class have the Class Skill “Vindication” that boosts defenses and resistances slightly due to the amount of damage done to them, while also causing half the damage done to them to be reflected upon their enemies based upon the rank of this skill.
Lastly we come to the Monster class. Those summoned into this class are the great beasts of legends whose death would make their slayer a famous hero. Basically, spirits summoned into this class are the ‘great beasts’ or ‘creatures’ of legends that were slain and used to make their hero more famous, although, they are not limited to just that specific condition. A creature summoned into this class doesn’t necessarily have to be a ‘famous’ beast slain by someone, just as long as they are a beast in general and have a ‘name’ or some sort of history known by the world. Examples of Monster class Servants are: Medusa, Fenrir, Fafnir, The Hydra, Yamata-no-Orochi, Scylla, The Minotaur, and other such creatures. All those summoned into this class have the Class Skill “Transformation” and “Monstrous Strength”. Transformation is theoretically Shapeshifting, however, this is a more advanced version that allows its user to alternate between their humanoid form and their ‘true’ form, along with anything in-between. Upon taking their true form, they gain resistances and skills reflecting those that they had in life.
Thus, there are ten classes to choose from when creating a Servant:
Saber, the Servant of the Sword
Lancer, the Servant of the Lance
Archer, the Servant of the Bow
Rider, the Servant of Mounts
Caster, the Servant of Magic
Assassin, the Servant of the Shadows
Berserker, the Servant of Madness
Avenger, the Servant of Vengeance
Ruler, the Servant of Worship
Monster, the Servant of Beasts
There are also no limits to the amount of Servants that can be summoned per class, nor is anything canon in this setting. Thus, if you want King Arthur as male or female, or a hero older than Gilgamesh or a modern hero, then go for it.
Anyway, that is mostly it for now, and here are the sheets for those who are interested!
- Name: What name were you born with?
- Alias: What is your false identity or title?
- Age: How old are you?
- Gender: Are you male, female, both, or something entirely different?
- Nationality: Where do you come from?
- Race: Are you a human? A homunculus? Vampire? Demon? Werewolf? What are you?
- Height/Weight: Should be obvious!
- Appearance: What do you look like?
- Personality: How do you act? What do you come off as?
- Occupation/Job outside the war: Do you even have a job?
- Weapon: Do you have a mystic code or some normal weaponry?
- Abilities: Tell me what you can do.
- Strengths and Weaknesses: What do you excel in, and what are you bad at?
- History/Background: Tell me everything about you.
- Assets: What do you have access to?
- Master: -If applicable-
- True Name: With a link to a source of information, if possible.
- Height/ Weight:
- Alignment: (Think D&D. Click here for better details.)
- Stats: (From E to A+, E being the worst, A+ being the highest)
- Magical Energy:
- Class Abilities: From E to A+, a single Servant will obviously not have all of these. Also how strong these abilities will be depends on the individual Servant. These are the Skills your Servant gets depending on the class they were summoned as. Here's a list, under Class Skills. See above for the Class Skills of the three new Classes. For the designated Class Skills for each Servant Class, check this page.
- Skills: Particular powers that depend on the Heroic Spirit's character. Basically perks that your character has by who they are. Here are a list of Abilities and how they work. Feel free to make your own. I'm allowing a maximum of five personal skills, but I don't believe we'll have many Servants with that many skills.
- Noble Phantasms: Weapons and powers unique to the Heroic Spirit alone. These are usually named and pretty symbolic of their legends. The Servant's Ace and greatest possessions. Here's a list and a more in depth description. Also, for the sake of the RP and to make things easier, no ‘absolutes’ whatsoever. This can lead to quite a lot of problems, and I’d like to avoid that as much as possible.
Again, no absolutes whatsoever. I’ve seen it cause chaos in previous RPs, and I’d like to avoid that as much as possible. Thank you!
I was suggested by a friend to make one of these... so, here we go!
Christopher Amalthius - Played By Nightwing95
Lieselotte - Played By Nekomancer
Annaliisa Edelfelt - Played By Psyker Landshark
Alexander Lot - Played By Fish Of Oblivion
Bernard Ashley - Played By Instantpun125
Gerard Legault - Played By Instantpun125
Sayuki Atsutane - Played By Skyswimsky
Varian Kei - Played By Aetas
Elise Lunana Jaegar - Played By Aetas
Nasya Krazstorov - Played By Xaltwind
Lena Lau - Played By Click This
Melanie Graycastle - Played By Xaltwind
ϾϘȠƮİȠǤĘȠϾɎ - Played By Nekomancer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Overseer: Savior - Played By Aetas
Hidden - Played By Nekomancer
Wu Mei (Reserved) - Played By Nekomancer
Yolande (Reserved) - Played By Nekomancer
Joan Of Arc - Played By TatsuaAiisen
Lilith - Played By instantpun125
Arturia Pendragon - Played By Fish Of Oblivion
Mordred - Played By DarkFey
King Midas - Played By TatsuaAiisen
Merlin - Played By Nightwing95
Tesla (Reserved) - Played By Nekomancer
Bradamante (Reserved) - Played By Nekomancer
Hidden - Played By Mami Tomoe
Hydra - Played By Zombeh
Lycaon - Played By Nekomancer
Sinbad (Reserved) - Played By Nekomancer
Lu Bu - Played By Psyker Landershark
The Devil - Played By Ale
Lancelot - Played by Fish Of Oblivion
'Arthur' Pendragon - Played by Mami Tomoe'
Gawain- Played By ERode