Dominion: The Usurpation
Inspired by this image
All graphics designed by me
Welcome to Dominion! This is an 'experimental' roleplay (in that I've never seen a roleplay being done in this format/way and that I have no idea how well it'll go) but I hope that it will provide lots of fun to all players and carry on for some time. Because it will most likely be a very volatile roleplay, I will be extremely scrutinizing in who joins; your CS, your spelling and grammar, your demeanor, your ideas, will all be watched and taken into consideration. I don't claim myself to be a perfect roleplayer, but I'll still be judging. Hard. Hypocrisy ho! Without further ado, I bring you... Dominion!
The world is under a spell. An irreversible, invisible, unquestionable spell. It permeates every crevice, every tiny bacteria, home, mind, body, and soul. It is in you, in them, in there. You can't see it, but it sees you. Everyone.
No one is safe. No one immune.
Where it comes from none can understand, nor will anyone ever.
It is the Great Gift, a benefit only to a select 13 individuals in the entire world. To all others, it is only a limiter. A chain.
These 13 individuals are the greatest of champions. The apex of all. The invincible, the unbeatable, the powerful. You are these people.
There exists in this world one amongst the 13 that holds irrefutable power across the entire globe. This person is the Supreme Ruler. The leader of the planet. The emperor, the king or queen, the dictator. Any word this individual utters is law. Any action they take is undeniable. Their power is immense and extends into nearly every characteristic, skill, and knowledge.
The other 12 are the same, but do not feature the ruler's control over the globe. Unlike the entirety of the population, these 12 look to the ruler with disdain and have the capacity to disobey their orders and their ideas. They desire nothing more than to usurp his or her power.
In this roleplay you will be playing one of thirteen incredible individuals living in the world. We shall call them the Chosen. One of these players, then, will be designated the Ruler of the world. The other 12 Chosen will play as the individuals who seek to remove the Ruler from power by any means necessary.
The Ruler is an individual who had been elected unanimously by the people to take the throne of power at some time in history to lead the defense against some sort of force, be it otherworldly or corporeal. They possess a number of features including:
- The ability to learn new things much faster than any normal human. This includes memorization and the development of as-of-yet new ideas or things. It is extremely rare for the Ruler to forget any skills or knowledge.
- Adeptness in any trained skill. If the Ruler tries to learn it, he/she will become good at it.
- Immortality, unable to die by age.
- Nigh-unquestionable leadership. All NPCs almost always follow the Ruler's orders to a T. This effect hinges upon the reputation of the Ruler; an excessively evil Ruler may spur on NPCs to more likely disobey orders. NPCs have the ability to disagree with the Ruler, but none will question their right to rule. The more benevolent a Ruler the player is, the more god-like NPCs will revere him/her as. By no means is this mind control (the Ruler does not have mind-control), but rather incredible and natural leadership and charisma.
The Ruler is not perfect, and is always capable of making mistakes. He/she may have enhanced learning and adept skills, but they are not omniscient or omnipotent. They can die, and they cannot multitask everything.
All other players will play as one of the twelve other Chosen individuals. These characters can come from anywhere and be nearly anything. They also possess immortality, quickness of learning, longer retention of untrained skills, and the natural ability to become more skilled at anything they set their mind on than any NPC. In addition, they are the only characters in this roleplay who have the ability to disobey the Ruler without issue, to resist his charisma. An internal instinct to degrade and debase the Ruler is strong in their spirit. No players will ever think that the Ruler is fit for their position. If the ruler is benevolent, this may mean your character is evil themselves. Some may just have a different reasoning.
These 12 individuals will not initially know of each other's existence, though naturally gravitate to one another over time. When coming into contact with one another they immediately recognize each other as being the same in their mission, as well as have an urge to work with them. Other NPCs are capable of being influenced by these 12, though are not to be mind-controlled easily and whimsically.
"The World" is confined to a single continent about the size of North America, surrounded on all sides by a vast body of water. The setting is high fantasy, meaning magic will be very prevalent. Besides this, the setting is open to editing by all players with a priority given to the Ruler-player. Who gets the ruler player position will be decided based on your votes here. A maximum of twelve players will be accepted for now. The slots do not necessarily need to fill for me to start IC. I will be playing a GM of sorts and one of the twelve individuals. I will not be playing Ruler. Period.
All players may do as they please within reason. Remember that it's more important (and fun!) when you make things long, difficult, and filled with challenges. If I see that players are jogging on through with no issues straight to the Ruler's head, I'll create issues. Big ones. Basically, weave a story. Don't try and end it ASAP.
Before the In-Character has begun, all 12 characters had been contacted prior by an unknown individual urging them to reside within a certain city that the Ruler will be visiting. This is where our story will begin.
- While I may be playing as a Chosen myself, and therefore abstaining from manipulating the plot in anyone's favor, I will object and discipline any players who do something unacceptable. Power-playing (you may be powerful, but you're not god), god-modding, etc, will all be dealt with. I'd like to take this time to explain to you something I'd like to call "Speeding". Speeding is the act of expediting a plot in favor of seeming like a badass at the cost of character interaction, potential events occurring, and other such necessities for an entertaining and believable story. Speeding. Don't do it.
- Characters are all powerful in some way, but still subject to challenge. We are playing as your James Bond, the Wolverine (barring his regeneration), the Aragorn. You may be able to fend off nearly any common person, but you cannot stop a gang of capable knights without being ruffled up yourself.
- The Ruler has the potential to be very alone in this roleplay. I advise the Chosen to create some NPC's to interact with the Ruler/serve as his henchmen.
- Nobody has plot armor. If you do something stupid or suicidal, you do have the potential to die there and then. Any player is free to declare someone fit for death. It's up to the group, however, to decide if it goes through.
- If you feel you've been cheated, forgotten, or otherwise impacted negatively in some way, voice it appropriately in the OOC. Whining or getting angry won't help you.
- Rules subject to change at any time.
Race: Feel free to create nearly any race you want -within reason. Make sure you describe them, their nature, characteristics, etc as well.
Appearance: If you want to write it out, do so here, otherwise post your image at the top of the sheet.
Personality: A short blurb. We don't need a psychoanalysis on your character. We'll see how they play out in the IC! If you are the Ruler, give a brief rundown on their political policy; how do they rule? Ironfisted or with kindness?
Origin: Your character can come from nearly anywhere.
Skills/Abilities/Powers: Skills, talents, etc should all relate to each other in some way. The Chosen generally aren't human dynamos.