They Sing, They Dance, We Suffer
They weren't people. They weren't human beings, nor were they part of the human race. They didn't feel and they didn't react-- well, actually, they did. But what did it matter? It didn't, and that was a common known fact to all who kept their heads above water. All who weren't able to, and all descendants of those who had faltered and fallen, were rightfully in their place below, serving as servants, cooks, cleaners, manual labor, chauffeurs, secretaries, any anything in between. Most commonly, however, they served as objects to warm one's bed. And such an idea hardly made any of the elite shudder anymore. They had gotten part that point long ago.
But back to the subject at hand.
No, they were most definitely not people. They were an attraction. Nothing more. Dressed up in crude garments, styled in the fashion of those above them, save more cheap and a great deal skimpier, the pair -- one male, one female -- were to be the mockery of the event. It was their punishment, this; to be dressed up in such revealing clothing, and trapped in a cage that was neither too high to be unreachable for any curious hand, nor too short so that they would be out of view. Throughout the night, they'd be humiliated and touched and prodded and abused, all for the merriment of the party guests, who would not even consider helping.
They deserved it, most definitely. How dare the two of them attempt to learn how to read, to write, to think? And separately, without one another's influence, nevertheless! It was a crime, and their masters were especially kind to give them such an easy punishment. Someone else might've had the good sense to put down an unruly worker, for that would risk corrupting one's entire staff.
The female, to add to her list of wrongdoings, was discontented with her position in the household she had so graciously been accepted into. With honey-colored hair that curled luxuriously, porcelain skin, mostly untainted from her work, and her piercing powder blue eyes, what was she expecting? Her destined job was quite clear, no matter who she serviced. It was evident that all the elites agreed, the ones who had begun to flitter into the main ballroom, where the two presents were enclosed off towards the side.
Since she had been stuffed inside the small space, she had not emoted once, nor made any sort of sound or movement. She had simply sat in the furthest corner of the cage from the entrance of the hall, stiff and dreading the moment that this would all begin. It never occurred to her that she was locked in the same space as a man who would be able to easily empathize with her, as well as stand with her against the storm that was approaching so quickly. Well, not until she heard the unfamiliar, threatening voices of the guests filter in down the corridor.
It was only then that she began to bring herself out of that corner of her mind where she could pretend that she was far away from it all. Almost every night she had to use that space, but right now, it didn't feel as secure as it was supposed to. This was a new kind of shame. This was a new kind of terror. Thinking about it was enough to force her limbs to move, breaking the statuesque effect she had been carrying for awhile now.
Her voice was barely audible. It did not quake, nor did it crack. Low and straight, it held its ground as she turned ever so slightly. "There isn't one safe place in this, is there? Even from the middle, someone could reach out and..."
Hello. You can call me Crumple, and I'm in search of someone to carry this RP thread with me through PM. Anyone is more than welcomed to send me their reply through that means of communication, but first, you might want to know some things about me.
- I am very, very slow. I'm a full-time student. My replies will probably come to you once a week.
- I expect long replies. I tend to write 800 to over 1000 words, even though this starter is a little on the shorter side for me. I expect you to do the same. I'm human, of course, so my spelling and grammar aren't perfect. Yours doesn't have to be. Just, over all, try to keep things topnotch. Attack this like you're writing a real book/story/what have you.
- If the starter isn't clear, this RP will be mature. There will be heavy, disturbing subject matter. I'm not afraid to write graphic violence, gore, smut. However, I'm not really into writing said smut unless it really works with a scene. Just know that this is what you're getting into.
- Yes, I know some things in the prompt are ambiguous. I'll tell you that this can be set in the future, in some sort of alternate universe, or historically, somewhat. As long as they're wearing period dress, it's all good. Like Renaissance/Game of Thrones/that sort of thing. Even Victorian style would be awesome. Everything else, I left it open so you can fill it in. We're creating this together.
- I'm looking for a male character to RP with. Seeing as how our characters don't know one another, it's fine to introduce him slowly into the plot, as if writing a novel.
- Speaking of plot, I do like talking to the people I RP with. OOC threads and planning threads are always good.
- If I'm not interested, I'll let you know.