Hey, there! Well, I've been on RPG for a bit, and for the most part, I've been enjoying my time here; however, I feel like it's time for me to try my hand at GMing my first RP (woot, woot). Below is the information for the RP I've planned, in a beautiful, organized list form. Please be aware that I'm trying a different approach with magic, which may take some getting used to, so bear with me and don't forget to ask questions!
Name: The Arcanii Chronicles
Inspiration: Gaia (comic series), Fairy Tail (anime/manga), Harry Potter (book/movie series), Final Fantasy (video game series), Elder Scrolls (video game series), Wizard 101 (game), just about every other magic/fantasy-related book/movie/comic/video game/RP, and a couple of articles that I read on creating a Magic System.
Concise Summary: In the world of Arcanii, magic is another part of everyday life. It is a part of everything. Just as everything is composed of atoms, so to does everything have essence. In this magical world, the inhabitants enjoy a life of peace and prosperity. However, various events have begun stirring and affecting the world, calling for a group of adventurers who can save Arcanii.
Barebones Information on the Magic System:
- Magic is simply the term for any sort of manipulation, distortion, application, and, in rare cases the destruction or creation, of essence. That being said magic is an umbrella term and conjuring a healing spell, using pharmaceutical medicine, the body's natural healing process, and drinking a restorative potion are all seen as magical.
- Essence, commonly called a number of other names (mana, magicka, power, soulpower, energy, etc.), is in all things.
- Essence is natural and a part of all things. Plants grow and bloom because of the water and essence in them, people live and move because of essence (similar to ATP, only 'magical'), and even abstract or intangible things are affected by essence in some way.
- Magic, Science, and Technology go hand-in-hand. Some machines are powered by steam, others by essence, and most things through a combination of essence and human ingenuity. For example, light bulbs in Arcanii are actually illumination spells encased in glass, and flaming katanas and steel swords are both forged by blacksmiths and sold by armories.
- The Law of Conservation of Energy does not apply to essence. It is plentiful and always available, although there are certain ways to null or restrict people form using essence (similar to how an EMP is used to stop technology/electricity).
- All people can use essence. However, the usage is limited to basic and simple applications, unless someone learns how to advance in magic.
- Although widespread and versatile, magic is categorized for the sake of convenience, especially when it comes to teaching, as it would be difficult to teach magic without the differentiation of magic. However, at it's roots, all magic is the same intrinsically.
- Magic is used through a variety of forms and mediums. Some spells may call for an incantation, others a specific movement or item, and even others may just require the user to concentrate or will the magic. The process to conducting magic is usually broken down in two steps: preparation and execution. Preparation can be anything, while execution is the actual magic in effect.
Plot: I intend this RPG to be freeform but linear, meaning there will usually be a Point A and Point B, but how one gets from one point to another is completely up the the players. Sometimes the way from Point A to Point B is pretty linear, and even other times there will be times where there's a Point A but no apparent Point B. Therefore, I will be implementing an "Arc" system, similar to how a lot of animes work (or "seasons", if you prefer western television, or even "books" if you think of it in terms of a book series). The RP is actually titled The Arcanii Chronicles because of the plot system; I imagine each arc to be another story in the chronicles.
The First Arc (more of a Pre-Arc), titled "The Academy of Madrigalia", is really planned to be a short, introductory arc. It will begin with the final exams taking place for the characters, who are final year students at The Academy of Madrigalia. This arc is very linear with obvious objectives throughout, in the form of tests and assignments. The purpose of this arc will be to formally and smoothly introduce the culture, society, lore and mechanics of the world, especially pertaining the magic/combat system of the RP. It should be a quick, little thing to get things rolling.
The Second Arc, titled "The Eye of Mysticism", will be the beginning of an actual real plot. The RP will be a lot more free at this point, but I'll leave it at that; I don't want spoil all the surprises!
Further information will be provided with the OOC, if we get to that point. :P