The Arcanii Chronicles - Magic Reimagined
Disclaimer: This RP is intended to be an Advanced RP. However, if more players would prefer a casual RP, then I guess it'll be moved to casual. Although, it will be high-casual; I'm not going to lower the RP too much.
Hey, there! Well, I've been on RPG for a bit, and for the most part, I've been enjoying my time here; however, I feel like it's time for me to try my hand at GMing my first RP (woot, woot). Below is the information for the RP I've planned, in a beautiful, organized list form. Please be aware that I'm trying a different approach with magic, which may take some getting used to, so bear with me and don't forget to ask questions!
Name: The Arcanii Chronicles
Inspiration: Gaia (comic series), Fairy Tail (anime/manga), Harry Potter (book/movie series), Final Fantasy (video game series), Elder Scrolls (video game series), Wizard 101 (game), just about every other magic/fantasy-related book/movie/comic/video game/RP, and a couple of articles that I read on creating a Magic System.
Concise Summary: In the world of Arcanii, magic is another part of everyday life. It is a part of everything. Just as everything is composed of atoms, so to does everything have essence. In this magical world, the inhabitants enjoy a life of peace and prosperity. However, various events have begun stirring and affecting the world, calling for a group of adventurers who can save Arcanii.
Barebones Information on the Magic System:
- Magic is simply the term for any sort of manipulation, distortion, application, and, in rare cases the destruction or creation, of essence. That being said magic is an umbrella term and conjuring a healing spell, using pharmaceutical medicine, the body's natural healing process, and drinking a restorative potion are all seen as magical.
- Essence, commonly called a number of other names (mana, magicka, power, soulpower, energy, etc.), is in all things.
- Essence is natural and a part of all things. Plants grow and bloom because of the water and essence in them, people live and move because of essence (similar to ATP, only 'magical'), and even abstract or intangible things are affected by essence in some way.
- Magic, Science, and Technology go hand-in-hand. Some machines are powered by steam, others by essence, and most things through a combination of essence and human ingenuity. For example, light bulbs in Arcanii are actually illumination spells encased in glass, and flaming katanas and steel swords are both forged by blacksmiths and sold by armories.
- The Law of Conservation of Energy does not apply to essence. It is plentiful and always available, although there are certain ways to null or restrict people form using essence (similar to how an EMP is used to stop technology/electricity).
- All people can use essence. However, the usage is limited to basic and simple applications, unless someone learns how to advance in magic.
- Although widespread and versatile, magic is categorized for the sake of convenience, especially when it comes to teaching, as it would be difficult to teach magic without the differentiation of magic. However, at it's roots, all magic is the same intrinsically.
- Magic is used through a variety of forms and mediums. Some spells may call for an incantation, others a specific movement or item, and even others may just require the user to concentrate or will the magic. The process to conducting magic is usually broken down in two steps: preparation and execution. Preparation can be anything, while execution is the actual magic in effect.
Plot: I intend this RPG to be freeform but linear, meaning there will usually be a Point A and Point B, but how one gets from one point to another is completely up the the players. Sometimes the way from Point A to Point B is pretty linear, and even other times there will be times where there's a Point A but no apparent Point B. Therefore, I will be implementing an "Arc" system, similar to how a lot of animes work (or "seasons", if you prefer western television, or even "books" if you think of it in terms of a book series). The RP is actually titled The Arcanii Chronicles because of the plot system; I imagine each arc to be another story in the chronicles.
The First Arc (more of a Pre-Arc), titled "The Academy of Madrigalia", is really planned to be a short, introductory arc. It will begin with the final exams taking place for the characters, who are final year students at The Academy of Madrigalia. This arc is very linear with obvious objectives throughout, in the form of tests and assignments. The purpose of this arc will be to formally and smoothly introduce the culture, society, lore and mechanics of the world, especially pertaining the magic/combat system of the RP. It should be a quick, little thing to get things rolling.
The Second Arc, titled "The Eye of Mysticism", will be the beginning of an actual real plot. The RP will be a lot more free at this point, but I'll leave it at that; I don't want spoil all the surprises!
Further information will be provided with the OOC, if we get to that point. :P
The Manic White Wolf
It seems interesting, but my big question is how much would you let us do with magic?
Personally if I were to join I'd be going with a Beast Mage. Someone like a druid, but who focuses on the monstrous energy found inside animals, and mimics it to create powerful spells allowing him to act as the perfect combination of man, magic, and monster.
Sounds fantastic! I will probably accept that, or at least some form of it since I wanna make sure it isn't too unfair or unbalanced. I like it though; I love creativity! Besides, on Arcanii everything is magic, so everything is possible. To give you an idea, go to Seventh Sanctum's Magic Style generator; I will probably accept all those forms of magic, even the idiotic ones! The complete magic system will be revealed and explained during the First Arc, although a large portion of it will be disclosed on the OOC, if we get to that point
Thank you for the interest.
Also, keep in mind that most graduates of the Academy can do most types of magic (they may not be great at them all though), although some might prefer to specialize in a certain form, style, type or medium. In other words, your character can be more than a Beast Mage! You don't have to be limited by the conventional rules that we're used to, in terms of Magic. As the OP states, the RP has magic reimagined.
This RP sounds interesting, I already have an idea for my type of magic.
and I'm still in too. no clue about what type of magic, but since we don't necessarily have to specialize, I'll just go with the flow.
i would like to join as well
i had a plan to be a villain, unlocking some kind of dark power that could be a massive threat to the world of arcanii. if you didn't plan to do that yourself.
The Manic White Wolf
Well in response to your two points: any magic can be Over-powered and I'd write a character who focuses on one magic possibly with that as one of his fatal flaws. He doesn't wish to expand beyond his one magic. It would put him in an interesting place among others who use many types of magic.
Originally Posted by Uriel
Also in more specifics the character's magic would be highly based on a balance of human and beast mental states. Too human and you can't handle the power. Too bestial and you can't understand the magic. Also he would most likely have a familiar required for most of the spells.
Finally going back to the Over-powered nature. I was wondering if I might design the character as somewhat stronger than others, but with severe drawbacks in other ways. He is mentally unstable his mind being so intertwined with human and bestial thoughts that he is on the verge of total madness and devolving into a monster of sorts would be the main issue.
I-I can carry too!
I know exactly what to do with my character.
Jason, I have two problems with that idea. The first is that the very first arc will be the character's doing their 'final exams' to graduate, and I don't see how your character could pass the tests (or even have gotten so far in his education), if he is so weak in other aspects. It would make no sense, in terms of plot. A solution to this would be making your character not a student and introducing them later, with a history of having learned his magic from a private mentor or something else.
The second problem, which has no foreseeable solution, has to do with the actual magic system. As the OP states, all essence is the same, and essence is everywhere. It also states that magic is only categorized for convention's sake, so really your beast magic is the same as elemental magic at it's roots. The only difference is the preparation and execution.
Also, most characters in this RP will be over powered, when compared to other RPs because of how the world and magic is set up. However, at the same time, enemies and others will all be just as powerful. Basically, when I say I don't want OP characters, I really mean I don't want anyone making a character who magically solves all the conflicts and defeats everyone with a blink, which I really doubt anyone will do anyways.
Truenovice, I don't really see anyone as being a villain because of the more linear nature of this RP. And there really isn't "dark power" because all magic stems from the same essence. There are unethical uses of magic though, and that's where "evil" magic comes into play, although it isn't the magic that is evil but the purpose or effect of it. For example, a spell that involves a sacrifices will be seen as immoral, evil, and unethical, but the actual magic energy involved is not "dark power."
Also, if I think of a way for you to play a villain of some sort, I'll let you know.