Monster Hunter International
“Monster are our business. And business is good. You all are here because you’re survivors. You’ve seen what’s on the other side, and you could have curled up and died, but you didn’t. You fought. Everyone in this room is here because you’ve got steel in your mind—flexible enough to bend without breaking, strong enough to take care of your shit. We’ve assembled a pretty motley crew here for this training class, we’ve got everyone from a former marine to a former stripper. How you got here and what you did beforehand is irrelevant—you’re all starting at the same place. We will harden you into hunters and killers so that you can survive your chosen profession.
“That responsibility falls to your two instructors, Jack Morgan and Milo Anderson. Respect them the way you would respect any master craftsman. These two are artists, make no mistake—and their art is death and destruction. They will try to teach you something of that art. The training will be hard. It will be tough. You will cry, you will puke, you will want to quit. It’s all right if you quit—you’ll get a severance check and be sent on your way, back to the ignorant world. Don’t make that noise, Jack, not everyone’s cut out for this sort of life. Newbies, you may be the best shot in Alabama, but your instructors will drop you from the class as they see fit, so make sure you’re up to snuff in all areas. For those of you who stay and fight, life will take on a new and sweeter flavor nobody else will understand.
“Now fall out and get to your dorms. You’ll find a list of rules and a schedule on the inside of your doors. Good luck. And welcome to Monster Hunter International.”
What we have here is a RP based on the Monster Hunter series by Larry Corria. It’s going to start off much the same as the first book, but aside from some core back characters, this will be our own story. The books aren’t canon—this is an alternate universe. I have several arcs planned out, this isn’t open world.
Your character can come from any walk of life. The only common theme is that at one point, your character came face-to-face with a monster and survived with your sanity mostly intact. You were recruited by Earl Harbinger or Julie Shackleford to work for Monster Hunter International. You are all starting off as newbies. I am playing Jack Morgan as my primary.
Picture: (no anime)
Equipment: (Not applicable to newbies)
OOC Experience with Guns: (Are you military? Have you shot bb guns or .22s? Ever been hunting? Be honest!)
1) No Godmodding (so sad that I have to put this out there every time)
2) Acceptable grammar and spelling. Also, try to break up your paragraphs a little.
3) A humble attitude is a MUST. I am military. If you have never shot a gun except in video games, do not assume that you know anything. This is really sad that I have to be strict about this, but I have seen some truly horrible attempts at writing as a ‘firearms expert’.
4) Be realistic. Please. Waltzing into a pack of chupecabras armed with a machete and coming out without a scratch is ridiculous. Nobody will take you seriously, and nobody will be interested in reading your posts.
5) There will be a high level of gore and swearing. Unlike the army, if you get butthurt by something someone says, you can’t go complain to someone higher up. You will be invited to leave.
6) If you don’t know which end of a weapon to hold, don’t be afraid to ask. We will help you polish your skills. That would be a true joy to me.
7) If you’re missing, your character will be modded along to keep the story moving.
8) To show you’ve read these rules, write ‘MacGregor for Scotland’s King’ at the bottom of your character sheet.
If you’ve seen it in a movie, it’s probably based on something real. Zombies, whites, ghosts, vampires, werebeasts, beastweres, incubi, succubi, giant mutant animals and insects, sea monsters, and many more. The world is largely ignorant of such things, the government has a special division dedicated to maintaining that secrecy. As a private organization, we get paid by individuals and companies to rid them of possible threats to their business interests, and by the government through a bounty system based on how dangerous the monster in question is. There are no nice vampires, no friendly werewolves. If you have a question, I will be more than happy to answer.